Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Tom & Judi & Critters

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Air Streaming here we come!

Both my wife and I have done various forms of camping in the past ranging from tent camping to pop-up trailers. As we approach Retirement we've decided to go Aluminum! I had a 2000 Dodge 1500 4x4 that would have towed an Airstream with no problem. However, 12 mpg downhill & downwind would have dropped into single digits towing an AS.
So, a few weeks ago we traded that puppy in for a 2014 F-150 EcoBoost with the 3.55 rear end. Now all I need is something behind it (see avatar). We've been looking in various locations (and I've been trolling AirForums as a Guest for a while) and appear to be looking for a 25 to 27 Flying Cloud. New? Used? Haven't decided yet. As others have recommended, we're looking and when it finds us, we'll pull the trigger.

I've already learned way more than I anticipated from reading posts here. I'll keep reading and as soon as I trade in the job for some Aluminum I hope to meet some of you at a rally somewhere.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the Airforum.
There's an Airstream trailer out there looking for you.
Hope you meet soon!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forum - it sounds like you have an awesome plan. Finding a lightly used recent model year trailer is probably the best way to begin although they tend to sell quickly. Keep your eye on the classifieds and welcome to the world of milk truck sightings. Seems like when I was looking, every silver tank truck caused my head to whip around and my pulse to race. They should come with warnings....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Welcome to the hunt for that one illusive Airstream of your dreams.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Yes, welcome to the forum. I think you're right about the As finding you. Of course you do have to go out and meet them, maybe even many of them before the ONE finds you.

When that happens, you will know.

All right you guys, enough with the smirks. It could happen.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You're on the right track. We have had two 25's and a 23. The 25 works the best for us. Over the past ten years, we have spent over 1,500 nights in or Aistreams.

Airstreaming has been the highlight of our lives.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, your truck looks lonely. My purchase was a journey, took three starts to get right one for me. I was crazed looking for one. There are some many things to consider, which I didn't, but it all worked out. We do not have a perfect airstream, but we love our airstream and give it 160 nights use!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You should start by deciding how you will use the Airstream in the coming years. Part time or more, local use or extensive travel, what you must bring along (hint - think light), what kind of seating and sleeping arrangement you need, do you need extra space for extra people (occasional grandchild), your food and cooking needs, and type of camping you prefer (alone in the sticks or RV resort or a little of each).

Then research what models can best meet those needs. If buying used you must know the good from the bad, research and seek the help of experience. New is easier and has two year warranty.

If you use the emotional "it will find you" method the romance could be short.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You should start by deciding how you will use the Airstream in the coming years. Part time or more, local use or extensive travel, what you must bring along (hint - think light), what kind of seating and sleeping arrangement you need, do you need extra space for extra people (occasional grandchild), your food and cooking needs, and type of camping you prefer (alone in the sticks or RV resort or a little of each).

Then research what models can best meet those needs. If buying used you must know the good from the bad, research and seek the help of experience. New is easier and has two year warranty.

If you use the emotional "it will find you" method the romance could be short.
end of discussion, what more can I add, besides, Welcome and good luck in the hunt of your dreamstream.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
what a delight to read your post. It seems that we have the same truck as you do ... Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with the same rear end. We searched everywhere for a "lightly" used Airstream. We did find one and drove to a different state to take delivery. then ............. guess what .............. there were some things wrong with it and instead of buying the intended 25, we purchased a 28. So far, we are in love ........... and in about 1 week, will be full time in it for at least a year. Hope we bump into one another
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Make sure there are enough lounges/sofas/couches and dinette benches so both humans and both cats can stretch out-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We have that same truck in a 2012 with the heavy duty towing package and like it very much as well as our 2008 Expedition (with towing package) Both vehicles are over qualified for most Airstream towing needs with lots of power for the mountains. I wish I had these vehicles when I was hauling horses for all those many years.
So now you just need that big shiny! I looked (obsessively) for several months online and in that search I was able to really refine what I felt my needs and wants were in size and configuration. Especially when traveling with pets. Though I think its easier to make room for the kitties than our dogs! I actually had my AS configured with room for a mid size aluminum dog crate as well.
I found my Airstream through Air Forums classifieds and Craigslist. (advertised in both places)
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
We landed on a 27FB. May I suggest you go to a dealer and tour the different floor plans if you haven't already. We bought ours at Bill Thomas in Wentzville, MO. and are very happy. Traveling to pick it up from California was a wonderful first experience in our new AS. Make sure you have an authorized AS dealer check out the systems. Don't close the door on a good adventure!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Tom & Judi & Critters

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Touring floorplans at a Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
We landed on a 27FB. May I suggest you go to a dealer and tour the different floor plans if you haven't already. We bought ours at Bill Thomas in Wentzville, MO. and are very happy. Traveling to pick it up from California was a wonderful first experience in our new AS. Make sure you have an authorized AS dealer check out the systems. Don't close the door on a good adventure!
Good suggestion and we have done just that. Nature & Me RV in Traverse City, MI has been very helpful with discussing the various floor plans, features, options, etc. Leaning towards a new AS from them, but we are keeping an open mind. It's a big, beautiful aluminum world out there!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
All the best, Tom & Judi and Ben & Jeri! There are amazing adventures in your future!!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote