Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waynesville , North Carolina
27FB vs. 25FB for 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 11yr)

I don't own an AS yet but I am looking hard. Originally I was looking at the 27FB because of the orientation of the queen bed and added pantry and wardrobe space. I then read a thread comparing the 25 to the 27 and majority of the responses seemed to favor the 25FB because of 2 feet shorter, some discussion of getting into and out of certain campsites, etc. Most of the responders seemed to be a family of two. The obvious answer seems the 27 would be better for 2 adults and 2 kids BUT I am just wondering how many people travel with 4 and think the 25FB would be great or would you definitely recommend the 27FB? I would be mostly going on long weekend and the occasional week long trips. Thank you.
bhbdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
What you say is true. The 27 is two feet longer than the 25, but that two feet is in the larger pantry and the longer bedroom that allows for a north/south queen bed. The living/additional sleeping area is identical to the 25FB. Having the 27 would add nothing toward sleeping or living arrangements for the children.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I have a 27 FB with four of us and there is no question I would choose it again over a 25. Bigger countertop and bigger storage mid-ship.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
We recently crossed the USA with our 27 FB twin, traveling with friends 25 RB twin. We encountered only one State Park site where we had to swap sites because I couldn’t get the 27 to fit, but that was probably due to my novice skills. In terms of space, the main advantage of the 27 was storage, but not sure that makes a difference for the shorter trips you envision. We traveled with two adults and two medium sized dogs.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Hands down the 27. Storage is at a premium in our 25 footer and we rue not having the storage of our gone-but-not-forgotten 31 footer. The 25 footer is like a weekender, where the 31 is a road warrior good for the long haul.

Days past, with the 31 footer, we had our 4 kids plus a couple of their cousins along. Today we are minimalist campers--just the two of us and the pup-dog.

If we were to buy today, we would go with the 27.

Come on winning lottery numbers!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We have the 25fb and it is just the two of us. If I had it to do over again I would go with the 27'. Here in Michigan the 27 would go into most state parks. I can think of only one in the lower peninsula where the 27 would be too much. The extra wardrobe space is worth the extra two feet. The pain would be having to set up the dinette as a bed every night for the kids but I'm not sure that would any different if you jumped all the way up to 30'
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
A point to consider: what are the pros and cons of each size on a rainy day? On two consecutive rainy days? ;-)
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
BHBDVM........The 25' and the 27' are great trailers for two people and occasional guests. It is not the kind of setup you want for multiple days on the road with more than two people.Think of how you will arrange the sleeping for your group on a nightly basis. You and your significant other will sleep in the queen bed and the children in the pull out and dinette beds which means that everyone goes to sleep when your 5 year old child goes to sleep.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
We are happy with our 27' Serenity twin

We plunged into our first ever trailer last year, and I was aware of hearing in general "every foot counts when towing and backing up". So would we buy the 25' or 27'? It is just the two of us and no dogs either.

The 27' has more storage, a bigger closet, a microwave and better pantry, and a larger countertop which is still pretty minimal at that.

Well, after towing it just about 13,000 miles in two years, we still say we absolutely made the best decision on the 27'.

Do I feel towing a 2' longer trailer makes any sort of difference? Absolutely not.

Have fun on whatever you buy.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida

There are definitely campgrounds in some national parks where the extra length of the 27 (actually 28’ long) would be an issue vs the 25 (actually 25’11” long). Several of them are in the PNW. Examples include Mt Rainier NP and Olympic NP.

We love our 27FB floor plan for 2 adults + 1 sixty five pound dog, but we often daydream about a smaller trailer like the Oliver Elite II, the Bowlus Road Chief, or an Airstream 23FB because we’d like something more nimble and easy to camp with in national parks.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There will always be cases where a foot or two makes a difference. I can think of a number of places that anything over 20' is "to long to fit". I can also find sites I'd love to use that are to small even for a 16' trailer. That said, there are a *lot* of places to go camping. I don't feel "restricted" in what I do by a trailer that is over 30' long.

Find a dealer with inventory on the lot. Spend a good amount of time in a variety of models. I'd at least drop back to a 23' and would not rule out any of the 28' models. Look at how *you* all fit into each of them. How does the seating work for you? How do the sleeping arrangements work now? How will they work in a few years? Is a "bunk tent" an option?

Nobody (ok, almost nobody) plans to go camping on a day with heavy rain all day long. It *does* happen (I have data on this ) . How well would you all fit for a full day in each trailer? I'm not suggesting it needs to be perfect, it just has to work ok.

As you are looking, check out the storage available. Check for inside *and* outside storage. You will have "yucky stuff" that is better stored outside. It's also more convenient to grab the chairs and rug out of an exterior storage area.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"We plunged into our first ever trailer last year, and I was aware of hearing in general "every foot counts when towing and backing up". So would we buy the 25' or 27'? It is just the two of us and no dogs either.

The 27' has more storage, a bigger closet, a microwave and better pantry, and a larger countertop which is still pretty minimal at that.

Well, after towing it just about 13,000 miles in two years, we still say we absolutely made the best decision on the 27'.

Do I feel towing a 2' longer trailer makes any sort of difference? Absolutely not.

Have fun on whatever you buy."

__________________________________________________ __

For sure!!!

And if you want the queen bed, it makes even more sense.

After 30K miles in two years in our 27 FB, I would buy it again without a doubt.

In my opinion, there are two reasons to consider a 25 over a 27:
1. You want a smaller trailer with twin beds.
2. You do a lot of off-road camping, where the extra two feet might not work well on twisty, unpaved trails.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Whichever model you get, you REALLY should practice backing up until it's no longer an issue. Keep your hand on the steering wheel AT 6 o'clock. Move that hand in the direction that you want the trailer's rear end to go and, back S L O W L Y making SMALL corrections as needed; It's NOT a difficult skill to learn (and even master) but, like ANY new skill, there WILL be a learning curve. Early AMs in a shopping center parking lot is the ideal time and place to practice backing skills (mind the light posts). There ARE RV Driving classes too. Once you're comfortable handling your RV (forward AND backward) VERY few spaces that could accept a 25' trailer won't accept a 27'er.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #14

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Owensboro , Kentucky
We purchased our first trailer this past April, a 2017 FC Bunk 30 ft. We agonized over the same issues, but with 5 kids. Our salesman said the only camper he would recommend for us was the 30 ft Bunk and he was right. Two (or 3) separate beds makes all the difference in everyone’s comfort and livability. We traveled to 4 different national parks this past summer and had no trouble getting into campgrounds at all. One thing that we noticed is that our (so we thought) big Airstream actually appears small in comparison to other big 5th wheels and Class A motor homes. The only thing I might change is making the master bed twins instead of queen. Since that’s not an option, that was one less thing to fret about!
dmilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #15
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
We love our 27 safari. I’d look hard at twins for the extra elbow room.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
When our two kids were the ages of your children, we went the route of a 30’ bunkhouse. Now that they are heading to college (18 and 20yrs) we traded up to a 25’. This summer we all camped a week in our new trailer. Having had both, we have been pleased about the accommodations at the time we had the different trailers. Young kids that are active, different sleep styles, and lots of “stuff” the bunkhouse served us well. The 25’ was great with four grown adults too. My wife wanted smaller but I couldn’t see us all squeezing into anything less. Even when it is just the two of us.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My advice would be to make sure you also look at the 25 rear bed twin.

The exterior storage is quite different in these various models you are considering, and the rear storage on the exterior on the back of the 25 rear twin model has an enormous full width hatch that is about 15 inches tall. This in addition to the full bumper, and 3 other exterior storage lockers.

With the twin option you also could pretty easily tuck in the 5 year old earlier than everyone else and shut the partition. Then when 10 year old and mom and dad are ready for bed, move the younger one up to the made up front bed. That center aisle between the beds would make this easier I think.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waynesville , North Carolina
Thank you

Thank you so much for everyone’s input. A lot of great thoughts to consider. My next step is to visit a dealership and walk through the floor plans with my wife. I’m looking forward to updating everyone on our ultimate decision.
Brian
bhbdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the most basic questions: How do you feel about a bunk tent? How do the kids feel about a bunk tent? I'm not suggesting it as a 100% solution. It *is* a very practical way to handle two kids if they are old enough. It also is a flexible way to handle a couple of friends who tag along on a trip. We did tents for years and years. Spreading out this way is pretty common.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia

Our family of four and one dog (kids are 8 and 10) spent two solid months this summer in our 27FB and we loved it! Never felt we needed more space. We just kept the dinette down most of the time into the lounge conversion (attached pics), so the beds were ready whenever it was bedtime. We ate big meals outside or just grabbed a plate to eat on the lounge (the ultraleather is thankfully very easy to clean). Storage in the 27FB is great, especially for a longer trip, and having the microwave with impatient kids is a necessity. We went from a 23D to the 27FB and having a queen bed with room on all sides to move around is key! I would think if we had to go smaller the 25 twin might work with space/storage, but we are snugglers-the kids still like to pile in bed with us in the mornings. [ATTACH]297589
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5221.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	297589  
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote