Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,319
Images: 5
25FB Forum

Since there is now a 25 Rear Bedroom thread. I felt it is time to start a 25 Front Bedroom thread. Since it's inception in 2005, the 25FB has become one of the most popular floor plans that Airstream has ever produced.

We purchased a brand new 2005 25FB. We named her Lucy. and she is now known as Old Lucy. She was our first Airstream and first RV of any kind. We later found out on a trip to the Airstream Factory Service Center that Lucy was one of the very first 25FB's produced. She had a rear-hinged (suicide) entry door. We were told at the Factory that they only produced about ten of these before deciding to switch the door hinge to the front.

We set out on our great Airstream Adventure, learning as we traveled. We found AirForums shortly thereafter. These Forums were indispensable in our learning process. We traveled in Old Lucy pretty extensively for the next eight years. We logged over 1,300 nights of Airstream camping all over the lower 48 States, and parts of Canada. We really took to the Airstream lifestyle and were very comfortable in our 25FB.

In 2013 we had an idea that we might was to downsize. We traded Old Lucy in on a one year old 23FB that we called Little Lucy. We camped in Little Lucy for almost a year. We gave her a really good try. We spent 140 nights in her, but decided that a 25FB was much more to our liking. The 23FB floor plan just did not work as well for us.

In October of 2014, we decided to go back to a 25FB. As the 25RB had since been introduced, we took a hard look at it but felt that the 25FB better suited our needs and desires. The 25RB has its dinette view out the front of the trailer. This is most often less desirable than the view from the back. Plus the LP tanks are not part of the view on the 25FB. With a front view, you are also always looking through the heavily tinted plastic protectors on the panoramic windows. The significantly smaller black tank capacity of the 25RB was also an issue for us. These issues, along with a couple of others, helped us decide that we were going with a 25FB once again.

We traded Little Lucy on a brand new 25FB who, of course, we named new Lucy. We have now had New Lucy for 6 1/2 years. We have logged 840 nights in her, and she has been towed almost 70,000 miles. She has been to Alaska, and all over the lower 48 and most of Canada.

By starting this thread, I hope to create a platform for exchange of information that applies specifically to the 25FB floor plan.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1772.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	394180  
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
SandKSmith's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 93
I’m in. We’ve had our ‘06 25’ FBQ for a bit over two years now. 103 nights, over 9,000 miles, and more than a few upgrades. We’re looking forward to the day when we can spend more time with her.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09F48670-A74F-4218-A945-503496574176.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	394242  
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
I can’t seem to stop messing with out 2018 FC25FB. Some people like to fish, I like to tinker. I’ll post an array of pictures of some of the upgrades, happy to answer questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63ABFF11-E161-4918-A5CC-7E53C177EFB7.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	394248   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1C7F5EC-14C1-4591-8BC9-6DCF6020CA55.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	394249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B2E7D41-65D9-4241-912D-33C392E1C944.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	394250   Click image for larger version

Name:	05BEAA8F-DF6A-44DD-B017-13A9BFE6529F.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	394251  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
A few more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECFACE68-9243-44BF-B77F-F0BA8B337788.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	394252   Click image for larger version

Name:	D27327B9-F9A4-422D-BDB6-57D8B14B1F0E.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	394253  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6D8EF09-FFD9-476D-919B-34E89472975B.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	394254  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
SeaLevel's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,135
2016 fc fbt

We got our AS in December 2015, and it was intended to be both our first and last one. On our upcoming summer trip we should reach 600 nights of camping. We still have a handful of states that we haven't camped in, but we did do the Alaska trip during the summer of 2019.

Moosetags: We just missed meeting you in Seward. I went by your trailer but you guys were out and about.

We have done a lot of modifications to our trailer: solar, lithium, recliner, SmartPlug power inlets, cabinet under TV for more storage/counter space, etc, etc, etc. Getting ready to install a weBoost system today to help when we don't have good cell reception, and I am also upgrading to a 32" TV.

I look forward to following this thread.
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,319
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I can’t seem to stop messing with out 2018 FC25FB. Some people like to fish, I like to tinker. I’ll post an array of pictures of some of the upgrades, happy to answer questions.
Gee Dale. That is quite the array of high end upgrades. You do Beautiful work. That appears to be a slide-out microwave in the former wardrobe. What are the drawers below it used for?

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Gee Dale. That is quite the array of high end upgrades. You do Beautiful work. That appears to be a slide-out microwave in the former wardrobe. What are the drawers below it used for?

Brian
That slide out microwave was my first attempt at adding a microwave to a FC25FB. It worked but required one of the smallest microwaves on the market. I’ve since taken that out and it’s just a boring shelf now since we have the full size microwave under the TV now. For those interested in the slide out, though here’s another picture. There’s a whole thread on this in this forum.

We use the drawers in the hall primarily as a pantry and linen storage. We find it far more useful than hanging a few clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFB112FC-3321-4AC0-ADFF-9938802CF67B.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	394354   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4CAA0E0-753F-4663-969D-C8DBC69AD1AF.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	394355  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
s1000pre's Avatar
 
2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 632
Images: 1
I enjoyed reading this. I had a 2020 25’FB Int Ser. ...loved it! ...Kids forced us to buy an FC 30’bunk. What I enjoyed most was the names, Lucy, little Lucy, and new lucy. We went the Roman numeral route. Harry, and now Harry II. While shopping for the FC Bunk, my wife and I looked at the 23’. We agreed that when the kids are all grown up, the 23 would be a perfect size and need to re-visit. I would like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the 25FB. Was it the loss of the rear panoramic?
Congrats on your purchase!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I enjoyed reading this. I had a 2020 25’FB Int Ser. ...loved it! ...Kids forced us to buy an FC 30’bunk. What I enjoyed most was the names, Lucy, little Lucy, and new lucy. We went the Roman numeral route. Harry, and now Harry II. While shopping for the FC Bunk, my wife and I looked at the 23’. We agreed that when the kids are all grown up, the 23 would be a perfect size and need to re-visit. I would like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the 25FB. Was it the loss of the rear panoramic?
Congrats on your purchase!
Panoramic windows front and back (with back having the best view) and not having to climb over one another to get out of bed in the morning is what landed us on the FC25FB Twin. So far we’ve been able to get into any campground a 23 would accommodate. I agree, though, the 30 bunk would be my choice with kids.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,319
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I enjoyed reading this. I had a 2020 25’FB Int Ser. ...loved it! ...Kids forced us to buy an FC 30’bunk. What I enjoyed most was the names, Lucy, little Lucy, and new lucy. We went the Roman numeral route. Harry, and now Harry II. While shopping for the FC Bunk, my wife and I looked at the 23’. We agreed that when the kids are all grown up, the 23 would be a perfect size and need to re-visit. I would like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the 25FB. Was it the loss of the rear panoramic?
Congrats on your purchase!
When we downsized to the 23FB, we found that there were several features that we did no care for. The 23FB is 6" narrower than the 25. As the cabinets and appliances are the same depth, the 6" comes out of the aisle. This makes moving around the trailer feel tighter.

The single door refrigerator with the tiny freezer did not work for us on our long Airstream Adventures. The microwave mounted above the refrigerator was a bit precarious when removing hot food.

The 23FB shower did not have an exhaust fan. This made showering a a foggy experience. The 25FB's separate shower is a much more usable layout.

Possibly our biggest problem with the 23FB was the 18 gallon black tank. We had become used to the 40 gallon black tank in the 25FB. We had become used to going six days between black tank dumps. We found with the 23FB that we needed to dump the black tank every other day.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 214
Blog Entries: 1
The only thing we have done to our 25FB is to replace the bathroom exhaust fans and install a larger TV, but we are now considering changing up the the rear bench by removing the one inside the door and adding a small recliner. First we will have to solve the problem of replacing the table with something smaller so the ECORNES recliner will fit better. This will be a project when we return from our PaloDura canyon trip next week. We are open for suggestions.
__________________
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB
2018 Ram 2500; Diesel
Blue Ox WDH
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
The only thing we have done to our 25FB is to replace the bathroom exhaust fans and install a larger TV, but we are now considering changing up the the rear bench by removing the one inside the door and adding a small recliner. First we will have to solve the problem of replacing the table with something smaller so the ECORNES recliner will fit better. This will be a project when we return from our PaloDura canyon trip next week. We are open for suggestions.
If you have a solid surface to mount to, the Lagun table is super flexible. Google and you’ll see all kinds of ways people have used it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F85B29E0-9F02-4447-ACEE-BBF15B0EB642.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	394409  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,319
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
We got our AS in December 2015, and it was intended to be both our first and last one. On our upcoming summer trip we should reach 600 nights of camping. We still have a handful of states that we haven't camped in, but we did do the Alaska trip during the summer of 2019.

Moosetags: We just missed meeting you in Seward. I went by your trailer but you guys were out and about.

We have done a lot of modifications to our trailer: solar, lithium, recliner, SmartPlug power inlets, cabinet under TV for more storage/counter space, etc, etc, etc. Getting ready to install a weBoost system today to help when we don't have good cell reception, and I am also upgrading to a 32" TV.

I look forward to following this thread.
Sorry that we missed you in Seward. You are ahead of us on the upgrades. We have removed the curb side dinette bench and replaced it with a reclining desk chair. We originally tried an RV type recliner and found that the seating level was too low to use the dinette table as a desk.

We recently replaced Lucy's living room television with a Samsung 32" QLED television. it just barely fits in the available space, but it is a really super upgrade. The QLED picture is fantastic. and the instantaneous one button phone screen to the television is a super feature that we use all the time.

We have also upgraded Lucy to the Smart Plug shore power system.

We have been considering going to the WeBoost system. How do you find that it works for you?

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
TRIPPPIN's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 262
Images: 6
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
2012 25FB Eddie Bauer but better

We love the 25FB. My next change may be to switch queen bed to twins for more space and maneuverability.
Mods to date;
Remove dinette and add 2 leather recliners and side table
Add table to sofa area and upgrade base hardware etc.
Relocate spare tire from front and install insulation and front belly pan.
Add Spare tire carrier under belly pan just behind rear axles.
Upgrade to AGM an relocate under fridge with main cut off
Replaced tank gages with SeaLevel
WeBoost and Omni antenna
Removeable Plexiglass over screens in door
Did interior door lock hack including latch handle fix
Replaced all receptacle outlet covers with stainless
Stainless upgrades; Water heater, plug and stove exhaust outside
Downsized to 20lb propane tanks with gages
Dill internal TPMS
Install clear Roof vent cover
Smart Plugs front and rear
Added external LPG port and shutoff
Replaced all screens with no-see-um screens
Replaced shower head with Oxygenics
Added rear LED back up lights
Replaced Barker Jack with Husky 4000 turned 90 deg.
Added internal surge protector Progressive EMS3 and monitor
Replaced single stage with Multi stage converter/charger
Voyager rear Camera installed
Extended front and rear drapery tracks to allow full panoramic views
Enlarged queen bed to 60X80
Shurflo water pump and add winterizing kit
New Smart 32 inch TV and moved 22 inch TV to bedroom
Yamaha Home theatre 5.1 surround sound
Shower door mod to protect door from dropping
Replaced kitchen faucet to one with shut off spray with pull down
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
TRIPPPIN's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 262
Images: 6
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
We love the 25FB. My next change may be to switch queen bed to twins for more space and maneuverability.
Mods to date;
Remove dinette and add 2 leather recliners and side table
Add table to sofa area and upgrade base hardware etc.
Relocate spare tire from front and install insulation and front belly pan.
Add Spare tire carrier under belly pan just behind rear axles.
Upgrade to AGM an relocate under fridge with main cut off
Replaced tank gages with SeaLevel
WeBoost and Omni antenna
Removeable Plexiglass over screens in door
Did interior door lock hack including latch handle fix
Replaced all receptacle outlet covers with stainless
Stainless upgrades; Water heater, plug and stove exhaust outside
Downsized to 20lb propane tanks with gages
Dill internal TPMS
Install clear Roof vent cover
Smart Plugs front and rear
Added external LPG port and shutoff
Replaced all screens with no-see-um screens
Replaced shower head with Oxygenics
Added rear LED back up lights
Replaced Barker Jack with Husky 4000 turned 90 deg.
Added internal surge protector Progressive EMS3 and monitor
Replaced single stage with Multi stage converter/charger
Voyager rear Camera installed
Extended front and rear drapery tracks to allow full panoramic views
Enlarged queen bed to 60X80
Shurflo water pump and add winterizing kit
New Smart 32 inch TV and moved 22 inch TV to bedroom
Yamaha Home theatre 5.1 surround sound
Shower door mod to protect door from dropping
Replaced kitchen faucet to one with shut off spray with pull down
Added pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_145744.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	394430   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_145903.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	394431  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170309_123357.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	394433  
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,319
Images: 5
That's quite a list of upgrades. I afraid that Lucy will never make it to that point.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,893
Images: 9
Dale that's one impressive rooftop you have there.
Question; On the interior the cabinet where the microwave is now those two cabinet tops are a different height. Is there a working purpose for that or was that due to the micro being that tall.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Dale that's one impressive rooftop you have there.
Question; On the interior the cabinet where the microwave is now those two cabinet tops are a different height. Is there a working purpose for that or was that due to the micro being that tall.
I didn’t want to remake cushions so the width of the space where all this microwave/counter business goes was fixed. Since I’m not a good enough craftsman to make a cabinet the width of the microwave plus adjoining drawers, we opted for the plastic ones you see with removable magnetic top. That removable top allows you to get to the storage behind.

We started out thinking we wanted a narrower cabinet anyway to not bring the room in visually so we were just going to put pillows against the cabinet without the drawers. We’ve evolved to the current solution while living with it.

So to answer the question, there’s not really a good reason for that step down in counter height, we just evolved there.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 214
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
If you have a solid surface to mount to, the Lagun table is super flexible. Google and you’ll see all kinds of ways people have used it.
Thank you - we need to check this out, there must be some way to mount the bracket.
__________________
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB
2018 Ram 2500; Diesel
Blue Ox WDH
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,025
My latest change was to modify one of the cabinets under the twin beds for use as a hamper. We’ll see how it goes next trip. The key was finding this bungee net that’s the right width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	550D4F6D-EC81-417B-B12A-A8E12614EE12.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	394497   Click image for larger version

Name:	1063225C-82E0-476E-8C5A-6F25824DF2EF.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	394498  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Safari 25FB BeBop 2005 - 2010 Safari 6 03-03-2005 06:30 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.