Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Camas , Washington
2005 Airstream Classic. Please help.

I've been fortunate enough to inherit a 2005 Classic 30 from my grandparents. Only problem is that it has been sitting for 6 years, covered. It looks like I will need to replace all 4 tires and both batteries. The Hensley Arrow hitch also looks like it needs some maintenance. With that I have a few questions for the experts on this forum.

1. How do I get new tires on the trailer if I'm unable to tow it as is?
2. Other that what I mentioned, what other items need inspecting? Is this something I could hire an Airstream dealer to do if I get it to their lot?
3. Are the Hensley's bullet proof, or after 6+ years of non-use is the thing shot?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Kyle
UKnowWho18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Kyle
Welcome aboard! Your Grandparents left you an awesome gift!

I am reluctant to give too much detail because I don't know your personal level of "mechanical ability" and available tools. However, I will give you basics....and you MUST assume
All responsibilities for work you undertake.

Let's begin;
1- inflate tires.. Do they hold air? If so, are they "weathered or cracked? If weathered do NOT tow. Instead, look at the manual for the AS, secure the AS so that it will not roll!!! Now, find the "jack points" and carefully jack the trailer at the correct location and with proper technique. If you cannot lift Both sides of the AS, do one side at a time. Now remove the wheels, one side at a time and take them to the tire store. Have the tires removed and check the wheels(rims) for condition. iF ok, install LT rated
Tires capable of properly handling the AS load. Also have them install the "screw on METal Stem" air valves!!!!! BALANCE tires. Reinstall and properly TORQUE lug nuts. Do same for other side of AS....

2) have a local "trailer
Inspector" go over the AS with you for issues to resolve. If you have $$$$$$$$$$$ the AS dealer will gladly take your money for working in yourAS. However, if you can do the work yourself???? That is often very rewarding.

3) Hensley should have given documentation to your grandparents. Check with Hensley directly for best practices. BTW, you MUSThave your tow vehicle, Hensley and your toe vehicle (TV) properly set up or it can be dangerous to tow.

4) pull Batteries carefully.. If the positive lug/terminal hits the frame of the AS it can cause damage to the AS and battery. Replace batteries. You can get by replacing with one battery until ready to camp. One is required for safety braking in event the AS breaks away from the TV.

Much more to learn. Check Youtubes for lots of good info!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh, if tires are serviceable, take directly to the tire store. Tires should be replaced every 2-3 years in average depending upon many factors. Pull very slow!!!!!! I would
Not exceed 45 until replaced.

You should pull the axle hubs and check brakes, repack/reseal the hubs.

The list is extensive, so take lots of notes.

Bottom line you must do the maintenance and tow carefully so you can one day hand the AS off to your kids.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Make sure the hydraulic brake recalls have been performed. There is a sticky thread in the brake forums that explain. You may want to replace the old Actibrake controller with a Dexter or other brand.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Camas , Washington
Thank you so much for the guidance.

I'm wondering if I can replace the 15" wheels and tires with 16" wheels and tires?

Where do I find a local "trailer inspector?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Click on Portal tab. On the right side of the window scroll down and your will see the Inspectors drop down menus.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
I would suggest you consider new 16 tires & wheels
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As far as the tires go here is what I did when I changed the original tires. First I took off one wheel and replaced it with the spare. Then I removed the other wheel on the same side. Then I went to the other side and removed one wheel. This left the Airstream sitting on one tire on each side. Took the three wheels down to the local shop and had them remove, mount the new tires on the wheels and balance them. Came back home and mounted two wheels, pulled the wheel with the spare tire and placed the other wheel with the new tire on. Trailer at that point was sitting on 3 wheels all with new tires. My spare was good enough to keep at this time. I then pulled the remaining wheel with the old tire off the trailer and took that down to the local shop to remove the old tire, mount the new tire and balance. Came home and put the wheel with the new tire on and bingo, all 4 tires were replaced without moving the trailer.

This year I'll replace the spare since it is now 10 years old, even though it technically has never rolled.

As noted by others, replace the batteries, get the wheel bearings repacked. I would think that the hitch should be fine. Probably get someone to help you who owns a travel trailer, preferably a like Airstream to give you a walk through on how to operate the systems and hardware.

I see two dealerships in your state. Hopefully you are close to one of them. Hopefully the trailer was winterized and you will need to eventually flush it out and verify that the plumbing is sound. Same goes to checking out the gas system, and all the appliances (furnaces, air conditioner, refrigerator, water heater, stove/oven, microwave). Learn how to use the awnings. Do your first campout at a close, full hookup campground. That way you can spend a night and test out the toilet, shower, sinks, and dump valves for the black and grey water systems. Sanitize the fresh water tank and try the water system with a city water hookup and the water pump by using water in the fresh water holding tank. Make sure you try the external fresh water tank drain valve and the low drain valves that you will use when winterizing your trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
If you do move the trailer get rolling a few mph and manually activate the trailer brake controller. You will need to do this to set the gain but first you want to be certain that the trailer brakes are working.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Camas , Washington
If I go to 16" wheels and tires, is there room for a 16" spare in the space that currently holds the spare?

Also, the trailer is in CA and I am in WA. I'll be making a trip down there this Spring and will likely meet with one of the inspectors provided on this site. The closest dealer is about 60 miles away from where the trailer is currently held.

Based on all of the advice provided here, I have some work to do! Thank you all.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You may have to bend the "prongs" that surround the tire to get a 16" tire to fit. I did, but others have reported that a 16" tire fit with no effort required.

I highly recommend replacing the 15" wheels and tires with 16". The Michelin LTX 225/75-16 MS2s and Sendel wheels installed by airstream when run at 75 psi give me the same "overkill?" capacity as the 15" GYMs at 65 psi. Others run the 15" P225/75-15 LTX tires and I have not seen any reported issues but they do not have the same weight carrying capacity as the original tires. There are lots of things to worry about when on a long trip. Tires don't need to be one of them.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #12

New York , Arizona
I'm new to all this. So much to learn!!! Eeee
Lacy_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote