Old 01-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Saint Louis , Missouri
1st Time Airstrseamer and Trailer, Oh Boy

Hi folks,

Apologies and hopeful I donít catch too much flak, but is there a thread somewhere in this forum for new Airstreamers and trailer/RVers?

Iím 90% close to pulling the trigger on a new 2019 Flying Cloud 26RB this month.

Iíve lurked the forums and have a great friend (enabler) thatís been helping along the journey I prepare to embark into.

Iím driving a 2016, F-150 SuperCrew, turbo charged Limited rated for 10,000 lbs. Also has the bells and whistles for trailer assist and tow assist. (Actually bought the truck in preparation for the Airstream at some point.)

Iíve got a location for trailer storage prepared.

We all start somewhere, so thought Iíd check and see about any/all tips I could find.

Thanks in advance!

- J

JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
First thing, on the truck. I think I'm driving the same and I've got a 25' Flying Cloud. The critical issue for trim is hitch capacity (we just got back from vacation and my brain is fried, but I think that's what it's called). You will have plenty of torque with that truck, and that's the critical statistic in terms of power. Don't let anyone talk you out of a weight distribution hitch and sway control.

Second … I liked the 26, but we went with the 25. We also went with twin beds, not the queen bed. I'm really glad we did. It gives an amazing amount more room than the twins, and nobody has to crawl over anyone else.

Third: Go for it! (Does that make me an enabler, too?)

Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi and welcome. Iím an alumenabler too....

I have a 27FB but have toured the 26 and love it if only it had a front bedroom option.

Still - itís a really well thought out trailer in my opinion.

Your truck should be fine - just be sure to hit the CAT scales and be sure youíre not over any of the axle ratings. You may not have tons of cargo capacity but traveling light is half the fun.

When you see what the weight of the trailer does to the front end of your truck, youíre going to want a good weight distribution hitch and preferably one with sway control integrated (or get a separate sway control device).

Tons of threads here to peruse.

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Congrats, I think your TV will be fine, as an earlier responder mentioned, check the axle weights but also the hitch loading - your 26 is likely close to 800 lbs hitch weight...
We have a 25 Flying Cloud Front Bedroom Twin and it works very well - we really enjoy the rear dinette and the view it affords you in the majority of campgrounds. I do miss our King bed at home, but my wife and I both agree we sleep better in twin beds than we would in a queen - at least on the road.
If I were doing it all over, I would go for the 27 FC FBT with dual AC units. A little more space, and extra cooling capacity. If it is over 90 degrees and you are in open sun, it will take overnight for a single AC unit to cool down the Stream - go for dual AC units would be my advice!
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've pulled a 27FB over 33,000 miles including Alaska and back with a 2017 F150. Your truck is just fine for the 26. You will need a good weight distribution hitch to keep the truck level and not overload the rear axle. I use an Equal-I-zer with 1200 bars. It's very effective.

That said you've not mentioned what you'll want to carry in the bed of the truck while travelling. If it's just the normal camping chairs, ice chest, tool box, some firewood, no problem. If it's a Harley Davidson, you'll need a stronger truck.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
I currently have a 2018 FC 26RBQ and I used to have a 2018 Platinum F-150 with 1450 lbs of payload and a Leer Cap with very little in the bed. I not only exceeded the the GVWR of the truck (7K) but also the rear axle weight limit. My numbers from the CAT scale were:
steer axle:3200
drive axle:4120
trailer axle: 5480

I am also using a ProPride 3P, so perhaps a little extra tongue weight. But the second pass without the trailer showed just over 1K tongue weight. (
published TW is 903lbs)

I now tow with an F-350 with 3550 lbs of payload and never think about it. Check the yellow sticker on your driver door jamb for payload as well as the white sticker next to it for GVWR and Axle ratings. lastly check the sticker under the receiver to what your max tongue weight (with and without weight distribution)

Cheers!
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
. . .
. . . is there a thread somewhere in this forum for new Airstreamers and trailer/RVers?
. . .
Welcome to the forum, Jeff!

Are you thinking of this "Member Introductions" forum maybe?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/

If you "go up" in the organizational structure here, there is this master forum page:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/

FYI there is also a Tow Vehicle sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

As you can see, it doesn't really matter if you post in the "correct" place, as folks will reply anywhere.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
Hi folks,

Apologies and hopeful I donít catch too much flak, but is there a thread somewhere in this forum for new Airstreamers and trailer/RVers?

Iím 90% close to pulling the trigger on a new 2019 Flying Cloud 26RB this month.

Iíve lurked the forums and have a great friend (enabler) thatís been helping along the journey I prepare to embark into.

Iím driving a 2016, F-150 SuperCrew, turbo charged Limited rated for 10,000 lbs. Also has the bells and whistles for trailer assist and tow assist. (Actually bought the truck in preparation for the Airstream at some point.)

Iíve got a location for trailer storage prepared.

We all start somewhere, so thought Iíd check and see about any/all tips I could find.

Thanks in advance!

- J
You have camping experience? pulled a trailer before? got the necessary stuff (not extra stuff) yet?

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Congrats on joining the forum and also planning to get an AS. The 26 is a nice unit and the truck should be fine.

I would suggest going to a few rallies put on by the local unit of the AS club. Lot's of fellow streamers who can help you with the nuances of having an AS!

Best wishes!

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote