Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Fremont , California
1963-'64 World Tour Films

I inherited 3 full length movie reels from my great uncle who did the world tour caravan in 1963-64. Unfortunately, the airstream he and my great aunt used was sold off via another relative roughly ten years ago (McDonough GA). Just wondering if anyone had a contact with airstream marketing? I'd like to get the films converted to digital but can't afford it. Maybe licensing the footage to airstream would cover the cost? Any thoughts?
MPhDJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Do you know what it would cost to digitize it? Maybe you can offer copies for sale pre-production and sell enough to cover it in advance. I know that I'd spend $20 for a copy. Perhaps a kick starter campaign would raise enough interest - keep us apprised of the progress. That's a jewel you have there!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I'm in
Old 12-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I'll take some of that, as well. What a cool thing to have. You get Airstream involved and it is gone forever.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I'm in, we own one of the trailers on that video and have been looking for a chance to get a copy for years! Keep us in the loop!!! I'm sure the owners of the 3 other known surviving trailers still in the US would jump at the chance as well!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Hi,
I too own an Airstream that was on the 1963-64 ATW caravan. I have been researching that trip for years and gave two presentations about it at the WBCCI International Rally this year for it's 50th anniversary. I have researched all of the participants and would love to know who your great uncle was. I know of 7 surviving Airstreams from that trip and would love to help locate your great uncles trailer. We will have to talk soon. Maybe we can work together on getting the movies converted.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1960 24' Tradewind
Yakima , Washington
Was your Uncle Fran Hall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhDJones View Post
I inherited 3 full length movie reels from my great uncle who did the world tour caravan in 1963-64. Unfortunately, the airstream he and my great aunt used was sold off via another relative roughly ten years ago (McDonough GA). Just wondering if anyone had a contact with airstream marketing? I'd like to get the films converted to digital but can't afford it. Maybe licensing the footage to airstream would cover the cost? Any thoughts?
I'm in with funds to help convert them to digital. I own Fran Halls trailer and he was the official photographer for the caravan. He made three movies after he finished the caravan and I've been looking for one or all three.
Wally H
range or parts
Dometic 50 or parts
flyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would be interested also. I do not own an Around the World trailer or belong to the WBCCI, but I am very passionate about Airstreams and the caravans Wally Byam used to test his product.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
I would also be interested in buying a copy. I'm so glad you got on the forums and are trying to get these out there. There are quite a few people here who would be interested to see them.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

Fremont , California
My uncle's last name was Truitt, his Airstream number was 4255. I'll contact some people I know in LA to get a good lead on a film restoration company. I want to make sure this is done right. It is good to know about the level of interest in these films. I will keep you all posted on the project. -Matt
MPhDJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
What format are they in? Is it 35mm film or a smaller format like 8mm? There are a lot of people who read this forum, probably thousands - this thread has had over 200 views. Post a little more info, and you might find your answer, or angel investors, right here.
You've found the right place to develop some interest in what you have - thanks for sharing!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Yes, I am sure our club unit would also like a copy. I bet many if not all regions, units and international would like copies. Also they would sell at rallies. I agree with BWOODTX, don't get Airstream involved yet. You could also sell them on E bay, in the Blue Beret, and probably many other outlets. Do keep us in the loop.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am curious, why not get Airstream involved? With out Wally Byam and Airstream this caravan might not have taken place. It was in planning well before his death. I do not see the logic of keeping Airstream out of it. Many of us use Airstreams site to reference the free material they provide of trailer specs, sales literature, ect...
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Once you find out how much it would cost to convert/duplicate, a Kickstarter campaign to cover costs is a great idea!
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1960 24' Tradewind
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am curious, why not get Airstream involved? With out Wally Byam and Airstream this caravan might not have taken place. It was in planning well before his death. I do not see the logic of keeping Airstream out of it. Many of us use Airstreams site to reference the free material they provide of trailer specs, sales literature, ect...
Airstream LOST all the hundreds of photos, all in color, that their official photographer, Fran Hall, sent back to them. The only ones that have survived are the ones used in advertising.
range or parts
Dometic 50 or parts
flyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
apparently you don't think like an attorney . . . which is a good thing (no offense to the attorneys out there)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
No, I do not think like an attorney. I think like someone who has had to deal with attorneys however.
Start publishing films that might have, in part been funded by Airstream on the AWC and attorneys might do some thinking. I also think that if Airstream is not involved an attorney just might do some thinking. I tend to think outside the box so what I think, has very little bearing.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrc View Post
Airstream LOST all the hundreds of photos, all in color, that their official photographer, Fran Hall, sent back to them. The only ones that have survived are the ones used in advertising.
A lot has been lost over the years. Have you ever traced your genealogy? You would be surprised of how much history has been lost or misplaced. They sure are trying to provide a great deal of(free) info on their site now a days. I bet they regret the house cleaning they did over the years.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I doubt Airstream as a company would be much interested in personal home movies of the ATW caravan and I doubt there would be copy write issues with Airstream to get the lawyers going if digitized and distributed separately. A couple of years ago I tried a couple of times to contact people at Airstream about doing something in conjunction with the VAC or WBCCI for the then upcoming 50th anniversary of the ATW caravan and found little interest. Everyone was extremely nice, but I got the feeling that when you are selling all the product you can make, there is little time to think about celebrating your history as a way of increasing interest and sales.

Airstream also contracted the services of an Archivist a couple of years ago to catalog and preserve the materials they do have in their archives. At the time, they were more interested in oral histories of employees and other important persons and product details and less interested in caravans and such. I was told they were not discarding the caravan related material the did find, but they also weren't actively doing anything with it at the time.

It did seem that the employment of an Archivist was the turning point at which access to their archival material became more restricted. There was talk at that time about signing an agreement to share information with WBCCI. The previous VAC Historian had a much more casual relationship with Airstream and had been able to look through their archives at least a couple of times. Since I took on this role in 2009, I have not had that same level of success. When I am able to retire in a few years and will have more for such endevours, maybe I will try to contact them again.

BTW, in case I did not mention it, if this comes down to a "self funded" digital conversion, I would definitely contribute for a copy. I could also see if the VAC wanted to fund part of the conversion if Matt wanted to go that way, but I will not approach them until he decides what we wants to do.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
No, I do not think like an attorney. I think like someone who has had to deal with attorneys however.
Start publishing films that might have, in part been funded by Airstream on the AWC and attorneys might do some thinking. I also think that if Airstream is not involved an attorney just might do some thinking. I tend to think outside the box so what I think, has very little bearing.
I guess I don't have a testimony of "Airstream the Corporation", only in old trailers that were built by people who worked at a company called Airstream. I respect, understand and appreciate that people feel differently - "it's all good" as they say.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags