Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

2006 16' International CCD
Yorba Linda , California
Water heater access door oxidized

I have a 2006 Bambi and the water heater door is oxidized. What is recommended to clean it and restore it to original silver?
MandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Mine looks like its just painted steel. Its also getting faded and chalky.

I have two things in mind when I deal with it. One is to use a satin finish paint similar to what was on it from factory. Mine was never glossy. Perhaps Airstream dealer offers the exact paint.

Or remove it and have it chrome plated along with furnace cover.

On mine I don't think a cleaner/wax will help it. It appears to be very thin paint subject to rubbing through.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rustoleum ultra bright silver (I believe that is the name) is pretty close to the color of modern brushed AS skin. Sand and repaint.
I did that before I found the stainless steel replacements for the water heater and furnace cover, as well as the stove vent.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
I missed the post about the stainless covers, do you have a link to the vendor? Thanks..
Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I got my ss replacement covers from the Jackson Center Service Dept. when I visited the place in October.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Roger Williams in Texas has the stainless covers as well. They have stainless furnace vents for Dometic, and stainless replacements for the outdoor part of the venta-hood found on late model trailers.

link: www.rogerwilliams.com

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Roger Williams in Texas has the stainless covers as well. They have stainless furnace vents for Dometic, and stainless replacements for the outdoor part of the venta-hood found on late model trailers.

link: www.rogerwilliams.com

Quality products...nice up-grade.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STAINLESS UP-GRADES 012.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	146098   Click image for larger version

Name:	STAINLESS UP-GRADES 002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	146099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	STAINLESS UP-GRADES 006.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146100  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Bob,

Looks great. From the website, it looks like you have to call the parts department.

Thanks,

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Very nice. I like 'em.
Does the exterior hood vent also have the little retention clips?
Are all three of these products also available from AS?
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
Very nice. I like 'em.
Does the exterior hood vent also have the little retention clips?
Are all three of these products also available from AS?
I ordered all three from Roger Williams three years ago, don't know who supplies the ones the AS Store sells.
The stove vent does not have the plastic retainers, it does not leak or flop around in the wind though.

Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I'll have to give them a call. They're very attractive. The furnace & hot water heater doors started turning chalky on our coach about 20 minutes after we bought it a dozen years ago. And wax doesn't help. That SS stove vent nicely eliminates the plastic. As long as it doesn't chatter durng the night, sounds like a nice way to go.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Bob thanks for posting the pics and info. They look great!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up "bling"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Bob thanks for posting the pics and info. They look great!
No problem, they turned out to be one of the nicest "bling" up-grades we have done.
If the AS store is now selling them, do they offer them as an option?

Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When I was a JC last month, they only had either the furnace door or the HWH door in the store. I can't remember which. That's the way it was in the summer of 10 also. I bought one of the doors at JC and contacted Roger Williams for the other cover and the vent.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
dznf0g,
I guess you missed the boat. When I bought mine at AS and they had all three as of Nov.1 this year. The fan exhaust vent has a retainer, that is stainless as well, for the flapper.
They are very nice, I must say!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
dznf0g,
I guess you missed the boat. When I bought mine at AS and they had all three as of Nov.1 this year. The fan exhaust vent has a retainer, that is stainless as well, for the flapper.
They are very nice, I must say!
Really. Huh, I was there on the 3rd of Nov and the only one out on the shelf was the H2o cover. I didn't ask since I already had mine....maybe they were in the back.

My stove vent has no latch . I have a piece of anti slip stuff for rugs and shelves which I roll up and stuff in there to keep it closed while in transit or storage.

Hey, Bluto, how about a pic of the vent latch. Is it something easily added?
I had heard that Williams was no longer an AS dealer. I wonder if the guy who made them for Williams is now making them for the AS store????

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I purchased the SS heater cover from the AS online store and after installing it, found that it wouldn't close. The heater vent (metal insert wth hot on it) cut out was about 1/2" higher than the original. So off with the new and back on with the old. I will grind down the bottom lip when I have the time and that should make it fit.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I purchased the SS heater cover from the AS online store and after installing it, found that it wouldn't close. The heater vent (metal insert wth hot on it) cut out was about 1/2" higher than the original. So off with the new and back on with the old. I will grind down the bottom lip when I have the time and that should make it fit.
H2O cover? Mine was a little off as well, but not near 1/2". I just had to "adjust" the lips on the "hot" screen and it fits fine. Still have to kind of finagle it around a little when closing due to the slop in the hinge mechanism, but it's fine.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
AS Store prices...

POI....what the store is selling is noticeably different than what I got from RW, as I understand they were/are direct copies.
$100 more expensive,(3) also.
I don't believe RW is still a dealer, but do have parts & service available.
This was a discussion on another thread.

Bob
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Really. Huh, I was there on the 3rd of Nov and the only one out on the shelf was the H2o cover. I didn't ask since I already had mine....maybe they were in the back.

My stove vent has no latch . I have a piece of anti slip stuff for rugs and shelves which I roll up and stuff in there to keep it closed while in transit or storage.

Hey, Bluto, how about a pic of the vent latch. Is it something easily added?
I had heard that Williams was no longer an AS dealer. I wonder if the guy who made them for Williams is now making them for the AS store????
We must have just missed each other as I believe I pulled out during the wee hours of the 2nd. I must have bought some of the last ones. I have tried to post pix on here before and just don't seem to be able to do it. I guess I'm just not computer or camera savy enough. Sorry! Maybe someone else will post a picture of their ss flapper latch.
The little latch is made the same size as the plastic counter part but is just a strip of ss metal with a small 90 degree bend on the tip so your finger can move it to latch or unlatch. It is fixed next to the flapper on one side only with a small rivit. I think it would be difficult to install without removing the entire vent.
Did you see that AS also sells the ss replacement covers with spaced rivit holes all around so a person only has to add rivits to have a fancier cover.
I went with the plain Jane covers for my trailer, but can see how a fancy door with rivits all around could look, well,,,, fancier.