Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Towing security for doors

Is it practical to install wireless magnetic reed switches (like do-it-yourself home security window sensors) on my 'suicide' door, entry step, outside sorage doors? These would signal a reciever in the tow vehicle if any of these opened while travelling down the highway.
I am deathly afraid of something flying open while doing 60 mph.
Are these an option in newer TT/MH?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
idea

interesting idea. I suppose once your door blew open the damage is done (happened to mine) but you could pull over before all your paper plates and pillows blew down the hwy. The access doors with an alarm would allow you to stop quick enough to probably find them. I'm trying to find away to better secure mine on my 67 Tradewind after losing one recently.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, the wireless switches I've seen use 9 volt batteries, so you'd be using a lot of 'em. I don't know - perhaps someone else would - how well the RF signal would transmit out of the metal trailer body.

How about some kind of door switches that would light a large amber light on the front of the trailer (where you could see it in your rear-view mirror)? I was envisioning a relay set-up, so if a door was open and if the vehicle connector was plugged in, then the light would light.

I dunno - it might take a big diode to make it work.

-Don
Old 11-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Annunciator

Yeah, I like that! gets around the wireless problem.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:39 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
In my MH the step and door deadbolt have a mounted mercury style switch that if the door is not bolted or the step is out lights on the dash.

You would only need one light. Wire all of the switches to ground and feed the other side of the light to 12 Volts. Then if any thing goes wrong the light lights and you know to stop. The lght could be a 12 Volt halogen that is mounted under the front roof locer and points down, then all you need is a way to reflect it towards the tow vehicle. It should be bright enough during the day to see, unless you have a rock guard. How about a 12 volt stobe like the younger crowd uses to show their alarm is working?

OR

There is an unused wire in the tow harness if you do not have backup lights. You could wire it to a light on the dash and get the ground feed from the trailer that lights the light fed by the 12 volts from the tow vehicle. If you have working backup lights then you would need to have the light on the front that notified you.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote