Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
storage question

Just picked up a new 25' Safari and am trying to figure out how to best protect it from sun, etc without building it a home of its own. Portable/temporary/metal covers are not allowed where I live. I understand that a fabric cover is not a good idea. If the trailer is kept waxed and well ventilated, any idea how long before it will have to be recoated? Live in the south so the heat and sun can be pretty rough.

Any comments appreciated.

ptrvr
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, there is no real way to tell. I've heard of Airstreams out in the AZ desert for darn near a decade in full sun and no issue, while I've heard others have had a type of corrosion issue. FWIW, ours has been indoor except for one winter and the trips we take with it and it may have some clear peeling/corrosion at the cut panel ends in one small spot.

I would keep it clean, keep it Walbernized and keep the tires covered when not in transit, it's the best you can do less putting under something or inside.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Best thing going for you is that you're as far away from the ocean as possible for Mississippi.

Some folks cut out aluminized sheets of what-evah to put in the windows. That cuts some of the heat gain as well as lessens fabric fading while it sits.

You'd probably be better out in the open where wet leaves won't stick to it and stain the clearcoat with tannins. Avoid under evergreens -- sap can be bad!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
storage

thanks for the comments. had not thought of the tree issue.
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Sap - Seriously Bad!

Hello all -

Took a walk around the neighborhood this past Sunday and saw a LOT of trailers (probably 60 out of 140 or so homes) back in here and there. Places I don't remember trialers before.

That said, there were LOADS of trailers parked under trees ( we are in NW, so we have LOADS of SUN!) and the SAP issue is REALLY bad. I saw trailers where I literally say HUGE drips of SAP running down trailer sides, over awnings and onto formerly usable surfaces - car trailers. These will NOT be usable again WITHOUT SERIOUS ATTENTION.

I saw many tens of thousands of dollars worth of trailers that were as good a ruined by SAP all over them.

Sad but true. Could probably by them for pennies on the $ but then you still have a 'sappy' trailer. Sun over sap anytime for me.

Just a few .02 cents!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote