Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
So, there are my hatches

I’m picking up a project to restore a 1963 Bambi. This model is very small, so only a limited number of hatches. Been so long since the interior was removed, I forgot what some of the hatches were meant to access. I realize that bigger models may have more access options but if these are all I’ve got. (Sorry that the iPhone posts everything sideways)

One pic shows the curb side with an opening for the water heater, and a circular patch over the original opening for the furnace (Florida trailer !!)

Another pic shows the rear. This would have been in the sink/stove area. What is this small door meant to access ?

Finally, the last pic shows the street side. These hatches were under a pull out futon type bed. The small open door is to the battery box, the door in the belly pan, if I recall correctly, was to store the shore power line. Both of these hatches are not accessible from the inside. The large door gives access to the inside of the trailer. What is the large door meant to access ?

I realize bigger trailers may have more hatches. But if this is all I got, what are the accesses to the interior, meant to . . . . access?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17BAFA69-EEEB-4760-978B-0D09D3615E58.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	415964   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B8125CE-5E1E-4D1F-AC0B-7E0AD9CAEE6B.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	415965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F4978E2-4BF2-4B83-9651-DAF83E3F9D65.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	415966  
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
Another pic shows the rear. This would have been in the sink/stove area. What is this small door meant to access ?

Finally, the last pic shows the street side. These hatches were under a pull out futon type bed. The large door gives access to the inside of the trailer. What is the large door meant to access ?
Small door on the rear likely to access rear of refrigerator for lighting and adjustments.

Large door on street side is to access storage under the side gaucho. This would be for storage of electrical cords, hoses, hitch parts and clips while parked, etc. Outside set-up stuff.

I have a '64 Bambi II. Very little storage, like your '63, especially from outside. Every little bit helps.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Your is identical to the 63 Bambi I’m helping restore for a friend of mine. The rear door was to access the back of the refrigerator propane stuff. The curbside hot water access panel we are rebuilding. We’ll have a same size door that will open with the hot water heat shield and things attached to the door. There will be an on demand water heater inside at the door. The owner wants things to look original. On the street-side, we had to replace the exterior panel where the battery box and baggage door were located. We eliminated the battery box since it was so beat up. We’ll be placing the PD 4045 converter inside under the side gaucho and a compartment for an AGM battery that doesn’t need venting. He will be able to access those items through the baggage door or from the top of the gaucho. He’ll also have room for his power cords. Keep in mind those doors are very simple to re-skin if needed. We have just completed the inside wiring. Next is the interior skin. My next challenge is the door jalousie window. It’s pretty messed up. It is a Hehr 1626 series. Do you have a door jalousie? If you look on the outside frame of the door window facing the rear, it will have the make/model numbers. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
do you have pictures of how you have organized the components/equipment inside the hatch & battery box ?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote