Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Shimming entry door hinges?

Has anyone shimmed their entry door hinges? In the automotive world it is common to use brass washers to shim hinges to aid in aligning the doors. Is it possible to get the hinge pins out to shim these hinges ('75)?
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I'm re-posting this from Kmaggard

DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I shimmed mine with stainless washers. I found the instructions about how to do this somewhere on this forum and also somewhere in Airstream technical instructions. I'll search around and see if I can find the written documents. If I remember correctly some folks suggested using nylon washers and then replacing them each year.

The way I did it was to cut a small space out of the washer to make it look more like a "C" instead of an "O". I did not remove the hinge pens. I opened the door and then lifted the door enough to slip a washer around the hinge pen, shimming the door up. Big improvement.

I'll look around and see if I can find more detailed directions for this.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
The way I did it was to cut a small space out of the washer to make it look more like a "C" instead of an "O". I did not remove the hinge pens. I opened the door and then lifted the door enough to slip a washer around the hinge pen, shimming the door up.
I had thoughts of doing it this way. The "c" washers stayed put?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
So, I've installed many, many, many interior and exterior doors on stick built homes. The way I learned to adjust doors once they were hung was to use thin cardboard slices between the hinge plate and the door or between the hinge plate and the jamb. My ego also requires me to say that a properly hung door doesn't require this finessing - but I digress. Depending which way the door needs to be adjusted, you insert one, two or three pieces of the cardboard between the jamb and the hinge plate, or between the hinge plate and the door, and increasing, decreasing or neither the number of cardboard pieces on the way up (or down depending on the starting point). I don't think using stainless, nylon, copper or any other material that doesn't rust or absorb water on an Airstream door would matter that much.
Still, the video sure makes sense.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I shimmed mine with stainless washers. I found the instructions about how to do this somewhere on this forum and also somewhere in Airstream technical instructions. I'll search around and see if I can find the written documents. If I remember correctly some folks suggested using nylon washers and then replacing them each year.

The way I did it was to cut a small space out of the washer to make it look more like a "C" instead of an "O". I did not remove the hinge pens. I opened the door and then lifted the door enough to slip a washer around the hinge pen, shimming the door up. Big improvement.

I'll look around and see if I can find more detailed directions for this.

I did he exact same thing as my striker didn't line up. The first time the washer eventually fell out. This time I was able to pinch it enough to make it hold. The door closes so much better. I'm wondering if airstream has a fix or washer solution for this?
Mark
Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Whatever you do, don't attempt to take the hinge screws/bolts off that hold the hinge to the shell. There is a nut on the inside which cannot be accessed w/o opening up the interior skin in some form or fashion to get a wrench or socket on it. You may be able to loosen it but not remove it, the nut will just spin, then very unlikely be able to tighten it for the same reason.

If the hinge itself is loose, you will need to open things up the tighten them. Search the threads. Not a tough job but does require some above average skills and some cosmetic work inside.

If the door is just sagging, nylon or stainless washers as suggested above will help a lot. You will be able to see the space at the top of the hinge knuckle , indicating the need to raise the door up.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthies View Post
I had thoughts of doing it this way. The "c" washers stayed put?
The washers have been installed for about 18 months and have not fallen out. They are cut so they fit very tight as they go on the hinge pen. I cut several washers until I got the correct cut.

My door had been badly damaged and re-skinned by a previous owner. The door did not close well. I went through all of the adjustment techniques in the above video and the door still sat a little low in the opening. I showed a tech at Jackson Center what I had done and he said he would have done the same given the circumstances of my door.

I'll take pictures later today of my hinges with the washers and post the pictures later today.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Here is a thread that has good pictures and more information. Notice there is also a link within the thread that will show you even more pictures and information.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ers-98898.html
Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
I guess I should preface my threads with "I am a master carpenter/cabinet maker as well as a metal fabricator" . I've done all the basic adjustments and trouble shooting, just wanted to know if anyone knows how to remove pins from hinges. The drill/punch method is the only one I could think of, and am not ready to go that route yet. I will make or buy some "c" clips or washers and try that first.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm always amazed by the help offered on the forum.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthies View Post
I guess I should preface my threads with "I am a master carpenter/cabinet maker as well as a metal fabricator" . I've done all the basic adjustments and trouble shooting, just wanted to know if anyone knows how to remove pins from hinges. The drill/punch method is the only one I could think of, and am not ready to go that route yet. I will make or buy some "c" clips or washers and try that first.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm always amazed by the help offered on the forum.

Well, if you haul your rig around on a bumpy road they'll probably shake loose and start to pop up... Mine seem to. I've tried a center punch to keep em in but, eventually the top one starts working it's way out. I think I'm gong to drill a small diameter hole through the hinge and into the pin and insert an aluminum pin for a more permanent fix. In construction we used to do something similar to secure a hinge pin from being removed on a door that had to to swing out. Has anyone done this with their rig?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391792354.510358.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	710.5 KB
ID:	205081