Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #1

Question Refrigerator inspection compartment door hinge...

I have a 1973 Safari Land Yacht 23' that I am trying to get into shape. The Refrigerator inspection compartment door hinge is missing. I have no clue as to what it is even suppose to look like. I have no RV supply centers even remotely close to me. I think the easier would to be lucky enough to find a member to tell me possibly where to go online and order one if they still exist. Nevertheless, this old retired Military man is doing the best he can as we live in the South Georgia countryside and not close to much of anything, got to drive 13 miles just to get a quart of milk. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as I have searched the internet pretty good but you guys seem to have a handle on most all questions.
gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean235
I have a 1973 Safari Land Yacht 23' that I am trying to get into shape. The Refrigerator inspection compartment door hinge is missing. I have no clue as to what it is even suppose to look like. I have no RV supply centers even remotely close to me. I think the easier would to be lucky enough to find a member to tell me possibly where to go online and order one if they still exist. Nevertheless, this old retired Military man is doing the best he can as we live in the South Georgia countryside and not close to much of anything, got to drive 13 miles just to get a quart of milk. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as I have searched the internet pretty good but you guys seem to have a handle on most all questions.
Most of the Hatch Door hinges I've seen are like a Piano Hinge. You should be able to pick one up at a local hardware store. I would suggest the stainless steel hinge. Cut it to length and pop-rivet it into place.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Some doors are still available for your 73.

Please post the dimensions of the opening, and we will try to help you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #4

Thanks Andy, It is 20 1/2" wide and 15" high. I'd like to get by with just buying the missing hinge though. I think the piano hinge is not going to be "stock off the shelf" though.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy, It is 20 1/2" wide and 15" high. I'd like to get by with just buying the missing hinge though. I think the piano hinge is not going to be "stock off the shelf" though.
Now I know yesterday was a Monday.

I mis-understood.

The repair for your hinge is easy.

Go to home depot. Purchase a hinge that is about 12 inches long.

Mount the hinge at the BOTTOM of the door jamb.

Invert the door so that the lock is at the top, and set it into the jamb.

Fasten the hinge at what is now the bottom of the door.

The end result will give you an opening door with the hinge at the bottom. You will no longer have to take the door off so that you can access the back of the reefer.

Airstream changed to this setup in later years.

You have also eliminated the "J" hinge which has always been a pain.

Andy
Old 12-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #6

Thanks Andy, I will do that. What width piano hinge should I get as I remember they stock several? Thanks again. Morris
Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy, I will do that. What width piano hinge should I get as I remember they stock several? Thanks again. Morris
The wider the better.

Use the full length of the straight edge on the door.

Andy
Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #8

I have some 1" wide piano hinge but I think I should get some that is wider according from what you might think is best.. Is that correct? Also, The seal is loose around that inspection door in question and what do you recommend to re-secure it in place? I also think I am going to have to purchase new top seals for at least one (1) top roof vent if not all. Is that seal sold by the foot? Thanks again..
Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I have some 1" wide piano hinge but I think I should get some that is wider according from what you might think is best.. Is that correct? Also, The seal is loose around that inspection door in question and what do you recommend to re-secure it in place? I also think I am going to have to purchase new top seals for at least one (1) top roof vent if not all. Is that seal sold by the foot? Thanks again..
Each halh of the piano hinge should be 3/4 to 1 inch.

Unless it's already been done, all the exterior gaskets on your Airstream are past due for replacement.

Check the window, entrance door, access compartment doors, ceiling vents and the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

Many owners make a project by replacing all of them.

Andy