Rebuilding my Battery Box’s
When rebuilding my front battery boxes I want to replace some parts and improve the design. Here are four things I did which I’m happy with.
Support Cables – Two of my cables had rusted and broken while two were on the way. I found a replacement from McMaster Carr that was expensive @ $13ea. but stainless and stronger than the original (larger cable and longer eyelet). McMaster # 30745T951. These are a less flexible but work fine.
Cord Grip Gland – Although I could of used the existing cord grips exiting the bottom of the boxes, I preferred to increase the #6 battery wires to #4s and improve the sealing. I found a cord grip from REMKE which required a slightly larger hole but just fit.
Mounting hole backing extrusion – My boxes were mounted with some #8 screws into the skin and a thin backing strip. I thought this was weak and replaced the backing strip with a U channel extrusion and used machine screws and nylocks. This allowed me to
Mice – I am on a quest to keep mice out of the trailer and this includes the battery boxes. Mice have chewed the terminal protectors. I used epoxy on a strip of ¼” stainless mesh.