Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Rear storage crack and separation of trim 2008 Classic 30'

I have been looking at this crack grow in size, and now it looks like the trim is also separating. I have looked at the plywood inside the storage compartment and I don't see any dry-rot , but I could be wrong.

Any idea what I should do? What type of sealant should I use?

Thanks for any advice!

Other side

SilverBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Your crack appears to be a cracked wield. Wields do not hold up well in a vibration environment. If it were mine, I would take the unit to a qualified wielding shop and have the aluminum re-wielded. Make sure they are qualified to wield aluminum; look at some of their work.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
looks like a normal crack to me, i would just seal it.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When the door is open try not to put any pressure on it. Acts like a lever and puts stress on the hinges and the frame. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
On a not-so-related note, it appears it's time to reseal that belt moulding. This is necessary to help keep water from entering the underbelly and potentially the rear floor area.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In addition, I would try and root cause analyze what caused the cracking. I can only visualize 2 causes. Others may have ideas too. I would think these cracks were caused by either tail dragging on one side of the frame rails at the consummable members at the rear of the AS. This could cause a twist in the rear and popped the welds. The other potential cause, (more probable IMO) I would offer, is harmonic vibration originating from unbalanced tire/wheel/hub assembly. These harmonics are amplified through all that mass hanging to the rear of the axles. Not to add to all the "harping" on unbalanced running gear, but I am a big believer in the effects of harmonic vibrations in trailers and TVs from personal and professional experience.

I have ensured proper wheel balancing and added Centramatics to my AS as well as a van I owned many years ago. They do work to constantly balancing revolving mass of the entire hub and wheel assemblies.

There are many posts on this subject and you can search using the google search feature and many keywords such as centramatic, etc.

Unless I knew a really good aluminum welder and a reweld was relatively cheap, I'd work silver Parbond into the crack and call it good. Incidently, I personally like silver Parbond for the belt mouldings reseal too.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok Silverbeast.. we are in the same town (work in Santa Rosa) with the same trailer..

Where ya been?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The separation is sometimes a result of vibrartion from too much weight in the rear or a weight distribution hitch that's not set up correct. Vinnie is a good guy and I'm sure will have better suggestions on welding and prevention of a reoccurrance. Also he may suggest that you join us for the NorCal Casini Ranch Rally in April.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
The separation is sometimes a result of vibrartion from too much weight in the rear or a weight distribution hitch that's not set up correct. Vinnie is a good guy and I'm sure will have better suggestions on welding and prevention of a reoccurrance. Also he may suggest that you join us for the NorCal Casini Ranch Rally in April.

Neil
I think rear weight could be a factor, but it would have to be extrordinarily high, IMHO. A Late model classic is pretty beefy in comparison to earlier models.

Guys, I'm in a camp that the hitch bar spring weight rating has no play on rear end at all....UNLESS your have extrordinarily high flex applied AND the trailer suspension is severely compressed, OR worn out axle rubbers. OP has an 08 model. Don't think that's the case. I believe stiff hitch setup will contribute to only AS axle forward issues with an otherwise healthy AS...given proper weights and loading.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Neil, to be fair....we should consider your theory on rear weight. I did once deal with an owner of a P-chassis motorhome who had front tire wear and severe handling issues. Arguements and finger pointing ensued. Upon inspection, the fulltimer, as a hobby, collected rocks from their travels and placed them under their rear bed. Yup, 800 pounds of rocks some 8 feet behind the rear axle!

I am assuming Silverbeast is not "one of those", or we'd be hearing about him wrapped around a guardrail somewhere. Silver.....more info required.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Neil, to be fair....we should consider your theory on rear weight. I did once deal with an owner of a P-chassis motorhome who had front tire wear and severe handling issues. Arguements and finger pointing ensued. Upon inspection, the fulltimer, as a hobby, collected rocks from their travels and placed them under their rear bed. Yup, 800 pounds of rocks some 8 feet behind the rear axle!

I am assuming Silverbeast is not "one of those", or we'd be hearing about him wrapped around a guardrail somewhere. Silver.....more info required.
I guess your moho guy never watched "The Long Long Trailer!"
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I guess your moho guy never watched "The Long Long Trailer!"
Neil
Ya know what.....I've heard about it here many times, but I haven't seen it either. In what format and where can I get it?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
How does the underside edges of the bumper - drag pads look? Any replacement bannana - belly wraps?

I found a small bucket full of round river rock under the back belly wraps, looked like they had high sided it towing through a BLM area dry wash somewhen and dragged back a bunch of desert. If one side of the frame took a hard drag that might've been enough to pop an already stressed weld there...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ya know what.....I've heard about it here many times, but I haven't seen it either. In what format and where can I get it?
How about on DVD for $6? It's a great laugh...

DVD: The Long, Long Trailer (DVD) with Lucille Ball (actor), Marjorie Main (actor) and Vincente Minnelli (director)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, not only the cracks in the storage door frame, but the separation of the lower moulding at the body; It seems that the lower moulding has completely separated from the sealer. If water has been leaking into the storage area for some time and rotted the floor/wood, you could have rear end separation. For your sake, I certainly hope this isn't the case. Also does this trailer have a hitch welded under the rear bumper, or can you see where one was cut off?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
A must for trailer travlin' folk. My folks took my brother and I to see the movie when it came out in '53...or '54. In '52 we made the ardruous journey to Calif. on RTE 66 towing a travel trailer. That movie made the hard parts of our trip seem laughable... at last. I've got a VHS and DVD of it. The DVD is kept in our Trade Wind for our occasional 'fix'.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Thanks Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up on the molding. It never really was properly sealed in this area, so filling that in is a high priority.

I have looked at the plywood in the rear storage area, and I don't see any indications of a problem. But, I’m not sure I would know a problem if I saw it.

I think what I will do is seal the trim first, with the factory silver stuff. When that sets-up, I will go back with some flexible sealer and fill the area of the crack in the weld.

I don't see any indication of a hitch ever being on the bumper, But I do have some damage to one of the skids (and a jack motor housing). That happened at a dealership that shall remain nameless.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi Wabbiteer,

I understand what you mean about bottoming out the rear end. And, as I mentioned to Bob, there was an incident where this happened. It was at a dealership when they moved my trailer with a forklift. This damage could be related to that incident.

The aluminum on the bottom of the trailer looks like it’s in very good condition, it doesn’t appear to have any damage.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi dznf0g,

I like the weight theory, but I don’t think that I have unreasonable weight in the back storage area. I do like to load up the area under the bed with things like; a case of bottled water, spare bottles of wine and scotch, tool boxes, hoses, and that enormous 50 amp umbilical cord. but in all, I doubt that it amounts to more than 200 or 300 pounds.

What is a moho?? I don't get it.

Steve
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey Steve,

A moho is short lingo for Motorhome.

I too put some things back in that compartment but doubt it weighs more than 100 lbs. My compartment isnt cracking but I had to seal the same trim area to keep the water out. I dont think I have any water damage but the fact is.. the rear cargo area is all carpeted and covered with plastic. This is a bad combination should water get trapped under there. Its my plan to remove the carpet this year and put down a felt type floor covering that can be removed.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, cracking, storage