Originally Posted by GoinStreamin
We have a 2018 30’ Classic and the lock for the outdoor shower door won’t open. We have 6 copies of the correct key and all I can think of is that the interior latch device has probably rusted. Any suggestions of inexpensive, proven fixes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
- Did this key work previously? I have to assume it did.
- A locksmith would cost more than replacing the entire lock and key.
- Try the original key and put pressure towards the door. Have a pliers on the end of the key and try a little bit of leverage. Just enough, but not so much you bend the key is the idea. Torque. If the springs operating the tumblers within have a crust... this will break it loose.
- Do the above and pull the key OUT just barely and repeat. If that works, play with the key and lock assembly still in the door and just look it over. Hate to close it and it quits working... again. The flat latch inside the door could be a too snug. Press the door and compress the rubber gasket some... and try it again.
- Since you probably will not be using the outdoor shower, order a replacement lock and key assembly. Then drill out the center of the lock, start with a small drill bit, increase the diameter of the drill bit until these tumblers start coming out in pieces. Should be brass. You could have Calcium in the cylinder is my only idea.
- These locks are not the best and even inserting the key can bend a tumbler.
- If you are not going to be using the trailer for awhile, you drill it out and go to a locksmith and bring the whole unit. They can match it, or you contact the Airstream Dealer if there is one locally.
- These are not the smoothest operating locks when operating. Since I do not know what your tired... here is every option before I DRILL THIS DOG OUT and find one that is working smoothly before buying it. Have at least three keys that work. Test each one. Some may be off just a little and not work. How do I know? Guess.