Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Carthage , Texas
Locked Out of Fresh Water Storage Tank

Friends,
The wife and I are on our maiden voyage in our like new 2006 Bambi. We had our local RV dealer go through his 175 point service checklist prior to hitting the road......we also checked out most of our appliances as well (all OK).

Anyway, we will be gone up into the Rocky Mountain states for 4-5 weeks and we just discovered we are locked out of out fresh water storage tank access door. We have 2 identical sets of keys (2 for the door, 1 for the dry storage-GH005, and 1 that doesn't work anywhere-CH751).

I am thinking that the CH751 may be the key to the access door we need opened, but no luck. Can anyone give me your key code # to your fresh water door so we can see if we have the right key type? We really need to fill up our fresh water tank before going out into some of the more primitive camping places we want to try.

thanks,
Prong
pronghorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Have you checked with the dealer?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We have an 2008 19 Ocean Breeze and our key does not have a code on it but I can tell you it is hard to open that door. Wiggle the key and it will open. Our key is round if it helps
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Carthage , Texas
Bought from individual, he never used it. Been sitting on his property for several years and he never took it out on the road ALL THE SUDDEN OUR LAPTOP IS STUCK IN CAPS LOCK WE"RE NOT SHOUTING I DONT WANT USE TO MUCH FORCE TRYING TO OPEN THE ACCESS DOOR AND DAMAGE THE LOCK WE ARE LOOKING FOR AS DEALERS IN COLORADO BUT THEY ARE PRETTY FAR AWAY

THANKS IT LOOKS LIKE THE NEAREST DEALER MAY BE FAR AWAY WE WILL TRY OTHER RV DEALERS FOR KEYS TRYING TO NARROW DOWN WHAT BRAND AND SERIES OF KEY IT TAKES

THANKS
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
_

. , .
YES ch751 is the one...

prong

the fresh water key is silver colored and has a ROUND base.

the teeth/cuts on that key usually are oriented DOWN or to the right when inserted...

and it turns COUNTER clockwise (left) to open.

the mechanism is often very very tight, drags and hard to turn.

lube it with FOOD GRADE silicone or MINERAL oil or try blowing it out with canned air.

stick the key in and TURN IT.

apply a little pressure TOWARD the trailer while turning...
_______

this lock isn't securing fort knox, it's not a heavy duty mechanism

and if the key won't turn the metal tab may be bent slightly or dragging on a rough edge.

just get it lubed and fiddle with it more IF YOU HAVE THE SILVER ROUND KEY ch751...

if not email a/s tech and they can get you a proper replacement (key or mechanism)

otoh IF the fresh tank hasn't been used in 5 year OR the past owner intentionally lost that key...

well, it will be interesting to read how the tank water taste and if there are any issues *like leaks*

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Spray some WD40 in the lock, push the key in and out several times and wiggle it around to make sure it is free. Push the panel inward as you try to open it.
If it doesn't open any locksmith should be able to make you a key fairly cheaply.
1bbboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
don't drink the water!

unless you're sure the water has not been sitting in the unpurified tank for years. a week of the runs will certainly spoil any trip. in fact, if the pump was tested without purifying the lines. your water system is probably contaminated.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Follow 2air's instructions. The key is CH751 and is the only silver key, (other than the dead bolt lock which is much bigger), that you should have.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
CH751 is the correct key, and everybody has the same key...it is not unique...unless the previous owner replaced the lock on it. We have an 06 Bambi, and on our lock, "CH751" is also stamped on the face of the lock where you insert the key...

If you can get the key into the lock, the prong that holds the door closed is probably stuck or very tight against the wall of the compartment... It's not a complicated lock as 2air points out...below are pictures to show you what it looks like...inside and out...

BTW, I agree that it's a good idea to sanitize the water tank and system before you use it. Here's a link to a PDF from Airstream explaining how to do that... http://service.airstream.com/files/l...0575ffe706.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key CH751_A_Sm.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	106204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Key CH751_B_Sm.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	106205  

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If it's just a round barrel cam lock, any straight bit medium sized screwdriver will open it. Just insert screwdriver in the key slot and turn left. The whole barrel will turn, including the locking arm. Once it's open most any Menards will stock a replacement cam lock WITH keys.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Forcing the lock will damage the door.

The stock lock does have a dust shutter in it which a cheap lock from Menards will not.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Carthage , Texas
Thanks everyone for your help.....haven't had internet access for a couple of days. Anyway, we went to a RV World we passed by travelling up I25, and picked up a new set of CH751 keys and some silicone lube. The new keys and a good lubing got the access door opened.

We have disinfected the tank and have a full tank of fresh water. We will be heading for the Bridger Teton Nation Forest in a couple of days, and having a tank of fresh water will be great.

Thanks again,
Prong