Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Ideas for external locker doors?

Dear all, the body of my 64' Sovereign is now back on the chassis and I have stripped it of all badges and excess silicone and roof vents. I would like to know if someone could please help me with the following:

1: I had to remove the louvre (jowsley?) windows to get the outside dimensions of it small enough, to get it home, and upon inspection of them and the existing hinged windows, I see that there is a profile of the curve of the body (curved and crimped), butting up to the straight extrusion of the window itself. I can see light through this transition. Should I be sealing all these seams before reinstallation of the windows that are out,as well as the ones left in-situ. Are the any other weak spots that I should be aware of as far as windows go.
2:Where the storage lockers and various access panels are, there were panels cut and screwed into place and siliconed beyond belief. I want to get these lockers working again. Were the original doors hinged?, Will I need to get actual doors fabricated for each opening or are there alternatives.
3: As I have said, it is pretty much stripped right back of anything that is riveted to the body, is it a good idea to polish the area on the body, of where the flashings are to be refitted, while they are off , as the area would be clear of "projections".
The knowledge on this site amazes me.
Regards,
Pete the Feet
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ebay has new doors with alum frames that can work. Cheap way to solve the issue

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I can't help you with your question, but hopefully someone here will soon. Good luck with your project. I know how frustrating it can be, yet rewarding when you get it done properly.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hi Pete!

Pictures would be really helpful. Aside from that, I do not believe it would be too difficult to manufacture custom hatches from aluminum stock, if you can find someone who can weld the aluminum hatch frames. After that, I would think it'd be a simple matter of cutting some aluminum sheet to fit the frame, attaching with Olympic rivets, then attaching the hatch to the opening using an aluminum piano hinge. Lastly, finding a suitable locking latch. Probably be best to polish while the components are off, but be sure to clean any and all wax residue from areas that will require sealing.

Good luck!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Thanks for that, yes, next time I will make a point of furnishing my questions with photo's. I was in a sheet-metal shop yesterday getting the 1/4 round rolled into the lengths of ali' that I am using for the roll-up of the underbelly-(had to be a little thicker sheet than standard as to get more out of a sheet), I digress, I was tuning their welder-guy about flashings and roof penetration covers for a 57' overlander I have, and it sounded like, as you say, all pretty doable one way or another. For catches, I'll just have to try and find something that will be consistent. It has been great fun doing this project here, I get a different vibe off trades and retailers when I approach them and tell them what it is for, it is a great ice-breaker. Although my dad thinks I'm completely crazy, doing what I'm doing here, so I must be on the right track! I'm not a purist, it's a bit hard to be when you are situated at the bottom of the world and own to airstreams that are being resurected, but I want to do a good job, and have faith in my work.
regards,
Pete
Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Hey Dave, here is a pic of the window detail I am having thoughts about whether should be sealed or not, if you see the transition where the crimped or ribbed profile butts up to the flat, running perpendicular, towards the center of the window, that is the area of my concern.
regards,
PeteClick image for larger version

Name:	down sized.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28849
Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Pete,

Though not by any means an authority (there are others here who would be more able to say for certain), if it will not affect the operability of the mechanism for both the jalousie and other windows, I'd be inclined to seal them in the area indicated.

And thanks for doing your part to keep these silver palaces on the road!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A company that supplies doors...

The following website is for a supplier that carries prefabricated doors of all sorts.

http://all-rite.com/

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Thanks for that, and thanks for the encouragement, although really, the pleasure is mine ( mind you, I'm yet to begin polishing, so that may change.
Regards,
Pete