Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Help- storage compartment lock stuck locked!

One of my locks will not work with the key on my curb side storage compartment...where I keep the scissor chocks, ball lubricant, stabilizer jack drill gun, etc.. All the other compartments work fine with the key, but one lock on this compartment will not open now. Looking for help...could go in thru the twin bed on curb side, or should I stick a screw driver and force turn?? Appreciate any advise with minimum damage...key works fine on all the other locks...just locked up 2 weeks ago. Crazy...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Get out the drill…
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Get out the drill…
Get out the drill and do what?? The key won't turn in that lock...your saying I should drill it out? How big drill bit? Not done this before, but willing to try if this is the best option? Just a bit more information as to what is happening if I drill it out; will that enable me to turn the lock and open?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
One of my locks will not work with the key on my curb side storage compartment...where I keep the scissor chocks, ball lubricant, stabilizer jack drill gun, etc.. All the other compartments work fine with the key, but one lock on this compartment will not open now. Looking for help...could go in thru the twin bed on curb side, or should I stick a screw driver and force turn?? Appreciate any advise with minimum damage...key works fine on all the other locks...just locked up 2 weeks ago. Crazy...

Try some dry graphite, purchase at hardware store. It’s in a small tube also try a duplicate key if you have one. Work key in and out after spraying graphite in lock.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
When mine binds, I push in on the door at the lock to lessen the “spring “ in the door. I’m guessing you have already tried this. The removal of the bed board seems like the next best option. Good chance something shifted against the latch. Or call a locksmith. They have tricks they rest of could not even imagine.
Good luck.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Try some dry graphite, purchase at hardware store. It’s in a small tube also try a duplicate key if you have one. Work key in and out after spraying graphite in lock.
Tried all this and have shinny black silver fingers...Tried the second key also...no budging wiggles, but no open. thanks...

Wondering about the drill....where, how big bit, etc...
Old 05-31-2022, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
When mine binds, I push in on the door at the lock to lessen the “spring “ in the door. I’m guessing you have already tried this. The removal of the bed board seems like the next best option. Good chance something shifted against the latch. Or call a locksmith. They have tricks they rest of could not even imagine.
Good luck.
Never really experienced a "bind" on these locks, right? You put in the key, turn half click left, and lift the latch. This one will not "turn"...May remove the bed board tomorrow, ...not sure how difficult it is and what do I do next, right? I don't think there is something in the way of the latch, since the lock will not allow the latch to lift first, then rotate...since the lock releases the lock on the latch inside the door, I think?? I was looking at the other doors...maybe I am wrong...again, I appreciate the help...but anyone else out there?? Trying to leave to Lubbock tomorrow on our way to Taos, Moab, on to Star Valley Ranch, WY...HELP!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Good luck.
I will try and lift/look under the bed board in morning...if you have done this, are there screws or what? I have not looked yet...wife asking.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
With drilling out the lock, if it were me I would call a locksmith, maybe AAA or your insurance carrier will cover the cost.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:19 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Lift the bed and have a look. Many RV locks have a tab that can be removed by taking out a bolt or screw. Once the tab is off, the compartment will open. After that the lock body can be removed by taking on a nut that screws on to the body.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We had this happen and were able to open with a super small flathead screwdriver inserted where the key goes. It broke the lock, but we did get it open.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
You want to drill out the mechanism where you insert the key to break free the latch bar. Maybe a 3/8 bit. Watch a few videos on YouTube. Just want to protect the adjacent areas on the bezel around the lock etc just in case so you don’t wind up with scratches. Tape of your choice.

Might be able to pry with a thin blade at the latch point too.

Already broken. I always figure worst I can do is make it more broken. Good luck.

Quote:
Get out the drill and do what?? The key won't turn in that lock...your saying I should drill it out? How big drill bit? Not done this before, but willing to try if this is the best option? Just a bit more information as to what is happening if I drill it out; will that enable me to turn the lock and open?
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 AM   #13
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I agree that if you can get to the back side of the lock through the bed you'll be able to remove the latching arm by removing either a screw or nut. Then you will have the door open and can remove the lock cylinder to take in to a locksmith for repair.

This is the least destructive way to fix things.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
I would guess that something shifted against lock inside compartment, may try moving trailer forward swiftly or stopping swiftly or shifting weight form side to another in curve before damaging things further. Good Luck
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
I have a neighbor who had this happen on his trailer. First thing he did was call a locksmith. Locksmith store was 6 miles away. Locksmith arrived, pulled out a drill, drilled the lock out, opened the compartment and presented my neighbor with a bill for $245.00. $100.00 for service call and $145.00 for minimum 1 hour labor charge. He was there less than 10 minute. Drill it out yourself and save some money. New replacement locks can be found on Amazon.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thank you all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I agree that if you can get to the back side of the lock through the bed you'll be able to remove the latching arm by removing either a screw or nut. Then you will have the door open and can remove the lock cylinder to take in to a locksmith for repair.

This is the least destructive way to fix things.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did call a lock smith...he was not eager to help and said it would be at least $250. Called AS "Mother ship" and after talking with a tech in the bays, he advised "not" to go thru the bed....and he said to drill it out.

But, I listened to Richard and others...Ended up going thru the twin bed...easy-peasy! Reached in with 1/2", took off the nut, and opened right up. Took me all of 15 min to remove, and replace support and mattress..(now, the bed ain't made to DW's standards, but it's done!) I checked the door outside and it is tight. Travel seems pretty secure with just the one latch so couple days till I reach WY, seems good to go for now...

Getting the ebikes in and stored between the twin beds was an hour challenge also! Now we are off to Taos, Moab, then on to Star Valley Ranch WY!

Thanks again to everyone for your support!
Old 06-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did call a lock smith...he was not eager to help and said it would be at least $250. Called AS "Mother ship" and after talking with a tech in the bays, he advised "not" to go thru the bed....and he said to drill it out.

But, I listened to Richard and others...Ended up going thru the twin bed...easy-peasy! Reached in with 1/2", took off the nut, and opened right up. Took me all of 15 min to remove, and replace support and mattress..(now, the bed ain't made to DW's standards, but it's done!) I checked the door outside and it is tight. Travel seems pretty secure with just the one latch so couple days till I reach WY, seems good to go for now...

Getting the ebikes in and stored between the twin beds was an hour challenge also! Now we are off to Taos, Moab, then on to Star Valley Ranch WY!

Thanks again to everyone for your support!

Thanks for the update, glad you’re on your way, have a good vacation.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear it has been solved for the moment. These are very cheap locks and most RV's compartment locks are the same with the same key (even my lowly Nash has the same locks as an Airstream). One lesson is not to store gold bars in an RV compartment and the other is that hardly anyone steals from RV's despite the use of the same key on millions of locks. I have one that sticks from time to time and just have to keep squirting graphite into it and push at the door to reduce binding inside. Eventually it gets open. Fortunately it is one I don't have to open much.

The wonderful thing about this was you could get behind it and remove or unlock it, otherwise you would have had to drill it out if massive amounts of graphite or pressure on the door didn't work. If the key works fine in other compartments, it is the lock or the fit of the lock in the offending compartment. You can probably go to any RV store and get the same lock and replace the old one unless you can figure out what is wrong with it and fix it.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
I will try and lift/look under the bed board in morning...if you have done this, are there screws or what? I have not looked yet...wife asking.

If you can get at it there is a nut holding the lock onto the door.
Or just bend the lever if it isn't buried in between some layers of siding.
Once open you can remove and replace the lock or take it to a locksmith.
oops....I'm a bit late....

See you got it!!!!!!!
congrats
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
WD40 or Tri-Flow to the Rescue

It sounds like it used to work just fine. I had that happen to me and one of the pins in the lock mechanism wouldn't move (apparently). So I sprayed some lube in the key hole and just kept working it. It opened up. You may be able to save your lock and get it working again.

Glad you got access to it now!
27ftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote