Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Fabricating extra space

I am wondering if anyone has ever built a box or any additions to the tounge of the trailer for extra supplies.(such as...tools ,water hose,camping gear,etc,etc,etc,.)Also I would like to know that if I were to build one for the back,Would it hurt the trailer?
I am wanting to buils a rack out of aluminum for the back of the trailer and it will be rivited in so it is permenant.Plus it will have a sheet of aluminum to cover the area up to l have that OEM look.I am wanting to put one of those tote dumps in there and want it to look really nice like it is part of the Airstream.Would anyone know about how much weight it could handle?I dont think it really would be that much.Mabey close to 50 lbs or am I wrong.
I am also wanting to build a tool box that will sit above the battery behind the propane tanks and it will also be made of aluminum and covered with a sheet to make it look OEM as well.It will be removeable though.
When going on this trip I realized that the stuff I had in the vehicle was just not organized enough for me so that is why I am asking you all if this would be risky or would it ok.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Devoman:

Much beter to load the front rather than the rear. Some people have done that for extra stuff like batteries.

Check the photos. I think PAHAHSKA has posted some pictures of this.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
or how about some plastic tool boxes or containers from Home Depot to help organize this stuff inside your tow vehicle?
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Boxes

I have been thinking about all the options that I can possibly think of but I do like the idea of making it as much as the OEM look as I can.I like things to look very clean and smooth like it was made for the Airstream.I am still searching around to see what I can find.Thanks for the info.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We use the blue "totes" you an get from K-mapart and Wal-mart. They come in sizes from really small, to too big for one person to lug around. They are great for organizing both the trailer and the tow vehicle. If you want something to hold your towing items, you can get a small plastic tool box from most hardware and home stores. You can drill through the box, and bolt it directly to the tongue. Everything is plastic on these, except the latch, so they won't rust, or cause your tongue to rust. Umm, they won't cause the tongue on your trailer to rust, although they will still harbor moisture just from the nature of the beast.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I am wanting to buils a rack out of aluminum for the back of the trailer and it will be rivited in so it is permenant.Plus it will have a sheet of aluminum to cover the area up to l have that OEM look.
A PO added this box to my 68 trade wind. It has lots of space and that is nice, turns out it also has a retro-fitted grey water tank which is also handy. So whats the downside? Well, one thing is it changes the lines of the trailer alot. The other thing is I am afraid it may be inflicting stess on the trailer and doing damage (not certain about what is causing this though). I would resist the temptation to tack boxes onto your coach, but that is just me.

Is the box causing this or something else? Hard for me to say.

Again, I can't say for sure that this wave above the wheel is from the box, but I have to wonder......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Box

I am not planning on putting anything over 50 pounds on the back and I also plan to not put it on the bumper.I am wanting to put it on the back wall of the Airstream and use rivits to hold it in place.Also I want to run the rivits through the strongest area.All I am wanting to hold is the tote-along and that is it.I dont think think that will reach even 50 lbs but mabey close to it.I plan on using aluminum for everything to build this box in the future.If it does cause problem or any comes up,I will just make something to just hold it in the open.Any one else do something like that.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Back storage

Today I built a box that covered up the piping in the back of the Airstream under the bed.the wood I used is very light weight and I covered the box up with the bigger non slip stuff you put in cabinets.I previously had my tools in there and it weighed around 30 pounds.I have not even got close to that yet.I now have a place to put my hoses,leveling blocks, cable(for the Television.),extension cord and lantern.There is still alot of room in there.I will take a pic when I can and show you all what it looks like.Now I am looking for a good tool box to place and mount to the Tongue on the Airstream.I will be making an aluminum mount for it though if I am able to.I just want everything as light weight as possible.
After checking all my options I am going to just bag the tote along up.and just put it in the trailer.I will be looking for a really strong bag or I will have one custom made for it.I just want to know that after I empty and clean it I want to know that wherever I put it,it will stay dry and if there is a little bit of odor the bag will take care of that temporarly.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
How about...

a Yakima speed rack on top of the T-reg. The tote that I have is long and narrow, and should fit.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...1&source=19555
Even comes in Platnum, it will match the trailer!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 AM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
rack

That is what I have been thinking about also but I will have to purchase some kayak rack monunts in order to do that.I have to have these so my surfboards can can sit on there side and then I can mount the tote on the other side.That is about the only solution I can think of for the moment on carrying the tote.It would still be nice to have a bag for it though.looks really kinda ugly sitting on top of a vehicle Knowing that it is a poop carrier.
You can see what I have so far when carrying stuff.Its pretty tight up there already.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh...

I see your loads! Actually, I was thinking of the sport pack to hide the tote in (check the link above). Can the surfboards go in the trailer while traveling, or maybe standing vertically behind the trailer (lighter than a tote and cover I'd think). The new Quicksilver edition supposedly has "surfboard storage".... I haven't seen where that is actually, but you may want to check out if there is some rack that fits somewhere for your boards. Looks like a fun bunch of stuff........ I think you need my Dodge 1 ton van for storage (room for 7, plus bikes, plus surfboards, all INSIDE)..... wanna trade?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC022126.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	16819  

Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
_

. , .
nice job refining that compartment.

it is a challenge to keep finding or creating space without looking like a cousin of those millionaires that moved to california...

on my older as moho, i had every curved lower section with space behind it converted to storage compartments but don't think there is any vacant lower sections on the bambi. this type of compartment doesn't alter the lines, surface or structure.

i know we discussed the flag boxes....mine actually do span the gas lines and there are little cutouts for these lines....don't have any bottom photos just now.

looks like you're approaching the limits for weight on top of the t.v...

saw the surf board mounting system for the qsilver. it is nice and would retro fit your bambi but it isn't cheap and does add more stuff to the outside.

are your bikes for general riding/fitness? while i carry my mtn bike inside the truck my road bike is a moulton so it splints in two and can be carried in a smaller place without a rack. bike fridays and newer dahons are nice bikes that fold and could be stowed inside freeing up roof space for another yak box.

many have added a receiver to the front for a box or bikes. not sure if there is room on the vw and again it is clutter.

while back of trailer hauling is verboten, really a 2 bike rack on the short frame of a bambi would work and there are now some nicer bike bags/covers that would keep them clean. you'd want this attached to the frame ends under the bumper....and then it'd be in the way of your nicely finished rear hatch....

i'm sure you've though about these options.

stanley does make a nice taller tool box that is silver metal sided and looks airstreamish....i saw one at home depot 2 weeks ago.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I added a carrier to the front of our Bambi to carry two Honda EU2000i generators. This last fall I left one generator at home and put a steel box on one side instead to carry two 5 gal gas cans. We've traveled over 15,000 miles using this carrier and have had no problems. You can see it at:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-13142.html
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #15
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Racks

I have seen that before.That is a really nice setup.I have been wanting to do something like this but instead of metal I wanted to use aluminum.I am about to go to lowes here in a bit to finish completing my shelves in the cabinet space areas for more organization.Also I just put in some shelves under the sink and now working on the bathroom sink for more storage space.It is really fun trying to figure out how to make it work easier for all of us.When I get done I will post pics as always and hopefully find that aluminum looking tool box you talked about 2Air.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Devoman,

Nice job on the rear storage area, it looks great! I can't see it in the picture, but I'm guessing your project covers the gaping hole where that pipe goes into the cabin? I'm still wondering what to do about mine. On our last camping trip (25 degrees outside temp)we could feel cold air coming through that hole.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
cold air

You know I felt the same thing until I purchased a small heater from wally world.It is one of those fan heaters.Man I had to turn that thing on low cause it got so warm in the trailer.A cool place to put it is under the fridgerator.I removed the door and set it up right at the opening.Dont put it far in the back where it drops a half an inch.The fan does not get enough air.
Well ... I was thinking how could I keep the underside of the bed warm and thought that mabey putting one of those small computer fans and cutting a small hole in around an area where you cannot see it would work.It would keep the underside just warm enough and not to cold to feel it through the bed.Plus it will keep the pipes a little taosty as well.I am working on that right now but still looking for a place to put it.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #18
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Do you mean something like this? Vendors make all sizes.
Attached Images

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #19
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
cargo

Hey that is exactly what I am wanting except with aluminum to match the trailer.I just got some aluminum from lowes and found some expanded metal at homedepot.I bought several bolts and lock nuts.I am going to put one together and see how it turns out tomorrow.I am just wanting it to hold the tool box in there and possibly a few other small items whatever they may be.I will update once I get some of it done.
There have been quite a few things I have been doing to the Airstream to make it better and it seems to be working.I am putting in shelves right now but will finish it later.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I removed one of the twin beds, installed a gaucho where the other was and built a storage area opposite. Now we have room for the bigger stuff!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	16828  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote