Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #21
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Devoman,

Here is the best one I have seen.

Assistance in construction or attachment??... check this out: http://www.deltastorage.com/pdf/delta.pdf

Home: http://www.deltastorage.com/index.html ... Products/search/check-'trailer tongue boxes'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.gif
Views:	134
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	16831  
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Love the Search Tool - See frame failure

Everything I have ever read says putting weight on the back bumper is a great way to develop metal fatigue cracks in the frame. When the trailer is in motion the frame flexes, extra weight on the back end - picture a 500 lb man bouncing up and down on the end of the diving board.... bet on the board failing prematurely!

The tongue boxes really make a lot more sense. Lots of people put a second battery, etc on the tongue.

I've got a new 22ft CCD with small steel propane tanks. I'm keeping an eye out for aluminum tanks just cause A) they are pretty enough to eliminate the cover if you want to polish them up and B) they are considerably lighter than the steel tanks. I'll be adding either a second battery or an EU-2000 generator.

Also IMHO, the best way to create extra space is to review what you are carrying and weed out stuff! I'm a natural packrat, but just this week I went through all my cloths and if I didn't wear it more than once this summer It went OUT. Sure I'm gonna lose weight and wear those jeans it takes pliers to close the zipper on....

Honest, I have lost a few pounds, but I'll buy NEW jeans to celebrate the next 10 lbs. Meanwhile a girlfriend of mine who is 20 lbs ahead of me, and on a tight budget, can enjoy those jeans NOW.

Rule #2 for freeing up space, NEVER buy at Sam's Club, etc. unless you are going to share it out with 2 or 3 other people. I've still got 3 unopened rolls of paper towels from a pack I bought six months ago.

I'm gonna sew a sampler that says, "I got this Airstream to get away from it all, not to haul it all around with me!"

Happy Trails to you, Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I've got a new 22ft CCD with small steel propane tanks. I'm keeping an eye out for aluminum tanks just cause A) they are pretty enough to eliminate the cover if you want to polish them up and B) they are considerably lighter than the steel tanks. I'll be adding either a second battery or an EU-2000 generator. Tin Lizzie
I agree with you about the look of aluminum tanks. I will need to decide which way to go when my run out and I need to be updated. I was surprised to find the weight difference was not as great as I suspected. I made the below chart which shows the total difference for two tanks. All wieghts are in pounds. The bottom line is you save 16 lbs if you switch out 2 30 lb tanks.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SIZE.doc (25.0 KB, 136 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Rodney;

We have the 21' Globe Trotter with the exact - sheering of the same rivets inside. We do not have any grey tank or fancy dancy storage box - but what we did have was a petrified Torsion Axle - that sent every bump in the road straight to all the weakest points of the trailer - and sheered rivets basically pounded her to death and who knows how long this had been going on before we bought her.

So unless you have changed out your axle - I would suspect that first. And if a new one is in order I would consider bumping up the rating slightly to compensate for the grey and storage box.

If not the axle - meaning you have already replaced it - then I would look at wheel balancing - and or frame twisting - which can cause just as much vibration.

Good Luck with your project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[IMG
http://www.pbase.com/image/52508837.jpg[/IMG]

Is the box causing this or something else? Hard for me to say.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #25
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
space

Here are some pics of what I have been doing the last several days.everything I have in here does not weigh that much at all and is very light.We took out some heavier things that we did not need and replaced them with the shelves and still did not reach the weight so I would say that is pretty good.These pics are in the rough still.I have to still paint them and put a lower lip on the shelves to hide the wood under the shelves.I thought this was a good idea to save some room and have it more organized.I just wish I knew how to really work with wood and make it look like it came with the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC032128.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	16846   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC032129.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	16847  

Name:	PC032131.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	16848  

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #26
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Some more

This is where I put the heater fan.It works really well right where it is at and does not get in the way of anything.I plan on fitting another plug in inside that compartment so iI dont have to run a wire around the outside.I think it will be open territory to get hit alot.
Also this is the start of the aluminum tool mount I will be fitting behind the propane tanks on the trailer tongue.I have expanded metal to fit on the bottom and when I am done I will hopefully have some aluminum covering it up and having doors on the side to retrieve the tool box.If that dont work I will make a cover for so it dont get rained on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC032130.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	16849   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC032132.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	16850  

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote