Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Air Mobile

2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Question exterior storage wire stop break

I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to and am hoping to benefit from someone's idea to fix. I just bought a used 25' Intl CCD and succesfully navigated from Chicago to the Peninsula of Virginia (interesting way to learn to drive a trailer, start out in Chicago rushhour). Anyway the first day I had it home i was leaning in the side exterior storage by the waterheater and must have leaned with too much weight on the door b/c both stop wires pulled out of the hook they were riveted to. I have tried to pry open the little bracket and repinch them, but they won't stay and I am close to breaking the metal brackets. It almost looks like they were soldered in place but then i don't see any burn marks. I would be grateful for someone elses fix ideas or just point me to a prior thread. As I said, i can't believe I am the first this has happened too. Seems like a pretty bad design.
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can buy new eyelets at the Big Box Store and crimp them on with a set of vice grips.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Air Mobile

Newport News , Virginia
Thanks, but still a question

Thanks for the reply, but what about the rivit? It appears the little clamp in questions is attached to the door by a rivit and I don't have a rivit gun, not know how to use one. Have you ever heard of someone fixing with a cold solder?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
Thanks for the reply, but what about the rivit? It appears the little clamp in questions is attached to the door by a rivit and I don't have a rivit gun, not know how to use one. Have you ever heard of someone fixing with a cold solder?
If you own an Airstream, you need to buy a rivet gun. An inexpensive hand gun from HD is all you need. Part of Airstream ownership is the accumulation of more tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rivet gun.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	102186  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to and am hoping to benefit from someone's idea to fix. I just bought a used 25' Intl CCD and succesfully navigated from Chicago to the Peninsula of Virginia (interesting way to learn to drive a trailer, start out in Chicago rushhour). Anyway the first day I had it home i was leaning in the side exterior storage by the waterheater and must have leaned with too much weight on the door b/c both stop wires pulled out of the hook they were riveted to. I have tried to pry open the little bracket and repinch them, but they won't stay and I am close to breaking the metal brackets. It almost looks like they were soldered in place but then i don't see any burn marks. I would be grateful for someone elses fix ideas or just point me to a prior thread. As I said, i can't believe I am the first this has happened too. Seems like a pretty bad design.
Hi, this little cable was only designed to hold the door without any weight on it. It is very weak, but does the job. Many people on this forum have broken theirs. A pop rivet gun is very easy to use. I think the hard part, might be finding a new eyelet. A wire end crimp connector eyelet would work, but it would be weaker than the original eyelet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2019 (Large).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	102190  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Air Mobile

Newport News , Virginia
thanks for reply

Appreciate the insight. DO you believe the original one was soldered? Can someone direct me to a prior thread on fixing this problem. I am not sure how I would rivet a new attachment since I only have access to one side of the metal. I always thought to rivet you needed access to both sides. BTW: the picture you put up is spot on, that's where the wire came loose.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Appreciate the insight. DO you believe the original one was soldered? Can someone direct me to a prior thread on fixing this problem. I am not sure how I would rivet a new attachment since I only have access to one side of the metal. I always thought to rivet you needed access to both sides. BTW: the picture you put up is spot on, that's where the wire came loose.
Hi, pop rivets expand on the oposite side, so you don't have to get to the inside of the panel; That's is what makes them work so well. The end piece [eyelet] is crimped onto the cable. [no solder]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote