Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Compartment door replacement?

There is a big hole on the back streetside of our 1965 Tradewind where the water heater used to be. We removed the water heater but now need to do something with the hole. When we got the trailer there was a "frame" and I assume used to be either a vent or one of those funny looking heater covers on it. Just the frame remains.

I'm wondering if there might be a compartment door that would fit to cover the space? Or maybe I could just put in a vent and close it up so it wouldn't let cold air in? We don't need air circulating in the area.

The picture is of the frame and it is actually a few inches short of filling the space, but I think could be used with a little creativity.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Right now we have a piece of plexiglass from one of our windows covering it just to keep the varmints out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside frame.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	148220  
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Not replacing the water heater?

How about a patch, either using the frame you have to frame the opening, or just install a patch without the frame. Olympic rivets would hold the patch in place quite well I would think.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
We took out the HUGE old water heater and put in an "on demand" one that sits under the sink. As for a patch, we're talking about an opening that is 11" x 18". That would be a pretty big patch, wouldn't it?

How's that grandbaby doing these days? Getting more adorable each day?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Many others on the forums have installed patches of various sizes. Some even replace windows with patches. And the ones I've seen on the forums all look pretty good. I don't think an 11" x 18" patch is out of the question at all. It would certainly be watertight when you were done. But, I'm not sure where to get the aluminum you would need. Hopefully someone else can chime in with sources. I'll do some digging in my Little Girl folder later today and see if I have any sources listed.

Grand baby is doing great! She's growing like a weed, and is one of the happiest carefree babies we've seen for awhile. Almost crawling now.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
There is a guy in the classifieds here who is selling compartment doors. You would have to do some customizing with the frame of the door, but it can be done if you want to have access to storage from outside. Otherwise, what Chris said is good advise.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. is one source for aluminum.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
what kind of alum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. is one source for aluminum.
Thanks! I think I am supposed to get Alclad (my trailer is a 1965). Do I get 2024 T3 or 2024-0 or something else? How do I know what can be polished to match the rest of the trailer?

Also, while we're on aluminum, I need to get some for the belly pan at the back of the trailer. We had to replace the black tank and need to cover it with something. I was thinking maybe building an aluminum box to cover it and then bolt it on to the frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underbelly.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	148278