Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Bike Rack

Would like a recommendation for a bike rack to fit on back of our 2015 27FB FC for 2 adult mountain bikes.

Thanks,

Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
Would like a recommendation for a bike rack to fit on back of our 2015 27FB FC for 2 adult mountain bikes.

Thanks,

Glenn
If the combined weight is under 75#, a lot of people like this solution:

https://store.airstream.com/product/...kes-by-fiamma/
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
First off, as much as I like bikes, hauling them sucks; there is no great solution. We use the Fiamma on the back of our 2008 Intl and it works pretty well. However, where we go (as in off road, in the desert...) typically kicks up a lot of dirt or dust so our bikes get covered.

For when we get somewhere and want to bring our bikes, I have mounted a Bodiak assembly on the front of our truck as a front receiver and then have a Swagman bike rack. Sorry, I don't have pictures readily available.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I have mounted the Fiaxma rack on the back of my 2007 19' Bambi and just carried bikes 7200 miles on a gulf coast adventure. I mounted the rack myself using a you tube video presented by an AS installer. I would not say it was easy but it was also not overly difficult the assembly was not real straight forward but doable with the instructions. The bike rack preformed beautifully for an extended trip. Very solid when mounted properly to the AS frame and bumper. My mountain bikes push the 75 lb limit. There are a couple of drawbacks.
1. it is very difficult to access the trunk which is a majority of the misc. storage area for road gear on a 19' Bambi.
2. Two mountain bikes are a very snug fit on the rack. With some creative maneuvering it will for, but the frames and wheels touch in certain places with my bikes. If paint on your mountain bike is dear to you, you may want to look at another option. However the rack does hold the bikes securely without any vibration. I felt after doing some research that this rack was the best fit and was made for the AS bumper and frame.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I must echo what Ken says (we too have a 19' Bambi with a Fiamma rack). We have traveled a couple thousand miles with our bikes and it works quite well - they are quite secure, though snug (I did some minor tweaking to make the bikes fit a bit better - extending the support arm lessened the rubbing and a foam gasket spaced the handlebars away from the rear of the trailer, before I had about 1" clearance) and the access to the storage (trunk) is limited. They do get dusty but not too severely, though maybe we have not been on real dirty road (yet). It is a sturdy rack but even with the bikes on I do not think it impacts the weight distribution on the trailer or the tongue weight as well and this would be even more true for you, in a 27' trailer with a double axle (but in our 19' rigs with a single axle it is something to keep in mind.)
Marc
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We have had the Fiamma rack on the back of Pete, our '14 27fb since it was new, and we love it. The bikes are secure, easy to load, and I can't imagine dealing with the bikes any easier way. The rack also makes a handy clothesline when in camp. With the outside storage in the front of a 27fb, access is not effected.

The only disadvantages I see is that the rack does take away from the rear aesthetics of the coach a little, and the bikes do block the taillights a bit. The LEDs are so bright though, it's never been an issue for us.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Take a peek at this youtube, we like it. We are NOT young, but have no real issues loading and unloading the bikes, but it takes the two of us.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Here is the link to the AS installation done by an AS tech. As I said putting the thing together is tricky. As the Night Before Christmas disclaimer says, (some minor assembly required). Self installation will save you some $$$. I would be happy to share my experience if you decide to go that route. Not sure if you can open this link but if not just google Fiamma bike rack install on an Airstream. Video is 20 min in duration.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ready to roll...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	260844  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
PKM said it nicely. I would like to add a couple of observations from our experiences. When the bikes are in place, access to the storage compartment is almost impossible. This isn't a problem for us since we take the bikes down when we get to our destination. When traveling it can be an additional task to deal with.

If you are a "purist" you might not like this rack because it does dirty up your bikes at times and they will rub together unless you add some protections. Honestly though I can't see a way to keep a clean bike short of storing them inside or covering them somehow.

When we installed ours a couple of years ago I did notice a drop in mileage. I was getting 11-12 on trips and now I see 10-11. Any addition like this will affect the dynamics of the design of the Airstream.

We like ours, it is very sturdy and easy to use.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote