Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Bowdoinham , Maine
Battery Compartment Door Leak

Recently, I replaced the rubber gasket around my battery door in hopes that was all I needed to stop a pesky leak. Unfortunately, it didn't stop it. I realized that the compartment door is sprung, just a little. When I push on the right side of the door, the close is complete. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this problem? It just needs something to exert a little pressure to keep it pushed in.
Thanks!
McDonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everywhere , North America
Did you check the latch mechanism?

If it's like the hold on my '69TW, there's a small screw that adjusts the position on the latch.

Loosen the screw and move the latch closer to the backside of the door—this will give you a tighter close.
Air2Go2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Bowdoinham , Maine
That's an excellent idea! I didn't know if the latch had an adjustment. As a last resort, I was going to add a strip of garage door rubber over the crack between the trailer and the door. It is either that or adding a twist stop to exert pressure to the door for a tighter seal. I hope your suggestion works. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everywhere , North America
Hope that works for ya—

And in the interim, I recommend Aluminum Tape to seal things up—it's my new best friend!
Air2Go2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Bowdoinham , Maine
Went looking for the latch adjustment and there was none. There was just a nut to keep the latch in place, no adjustment screw. I was thinking about putting another round of gasket in the location of the leak, but then the door might be too tight, producing a leak elsewhere. ??????