Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Battery Box Rust

You should check the bottom of your exterior battery box if you have one. I found the following issue on our 2015 28ft. Flying Cloud. We traded our 2012 25 ft. FC in October of 2014-so warranty end is approaching. I contacted the dealer and Airstream customer support about the issue. I expressed my concern that the batteries may someday fall through the bottom and damage our trailer or some other vehicle. The response from customer support was that the area should be wire brushed, sanded and re-painted. I did not want to take the trailer 130 miles round-trip to have this done, so decided to do it myself.
I removed the batteries to make sure that the rust had not penetrated the interior of the box. The batteries sit in a plastic tray(more about this later). There was no rust on the interior bottom of the box.
I wire brushed and sanded the rusted area and spray painted with a rust resistant gray paint. I am satisfied with the results.
In my opinion, the cause of the issue is that the plastic tray sits flush on the bottom of the box, not allowing the collected water to escape as it should. It just sits there and eventually weeps out to the bottom surface and causes rust if the paint has weakened or was not applied correctly to begin with. There needs to be space for water(from rain or washing) to flow through the escape holes. When I next have the batteries out I will put rubber feet on the bottom of the tray to create space. Perhaps Airstream will figure this out for the future. In the meantime, you should make sure you don't have this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery box rust-Airstream.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	262100  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I took the tray out of my box when I added the top extension. Gave the box a good brushing and paint when I did the rebuilt job. Recently pulled the batteries and the interior was still rust free.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I am looking at a battery box on a 93 excella that totally rotted out. Where can ou get a replacement. It apparently boiled over bad and was ignored.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Paint the interior of metal battery boxes with "battery box paint"... a rubberized, acid-resistant paint used in aircraft battery boxes.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3540103
Attached Images

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
There is no bottom to paint.