Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
kristiana

1967 24' Tradewind
1960 Caravel
1962 16' Bambi
Gold Country & Palm Springs , California
Arrow Back cover & lic. plate got away- need new one!

Hello Trailer Friends!

Well, it happened... it was there when I left on my trip and missing when I arrived. Ouch.

The latch on the back cover was always a little loosey goosey, (don't have a key to lock it) and it finally jiggled loose on my last trip. Now a big gaping hole smiles back at me instead of my license plate.

So... I need to find a replacement back panel for my 1967 Tradewind.
Has anyone seen any out there? Please let me know if you do.

Also, I had a vanity plate. Do you think it will be a problem with DMV to get a new one? Thanks for the help.
kristiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Back cover & lic. plate got away- need new one!

Greetings kristiana!

Welcome to the club of lost license plates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiana
Hello Trailer Friends!

Well, it happened... it was there when I left on my trip and missing when I arrived. Ouch.

Also, I had a vanity plate. Do you think it will be a problem with DMV to get a new one? Thanks for the help.
I lost the personalized license plate on my Minuet on the road between my home and the Region 7 Vintage Rally during the summer. My Minuet doesn't have a one-stop service compartment, but its license plate bracket snapped as a result of rust hidden by the license plate itself.

I have no idea if your process will be similar in California, but in Illinois, I had to file a report with the State Police followed by a stop at the local DMV to fill out the paperwork for a new plate -- it was the cost of one year's registration ($30.00) plus plate cost ($9.00) or a total of $39.00. It took the better part of four months to get the replacement plate, but the temporary tag was good for up to six-months given the circumstances.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm sorry about your mishap. Unfortunately things like that happen from time to time.

In the matter of your personalized license tag, you may have a problem getting the same one reissued. Once you report the tag lost, the number will be put into NCIC (a national law enforcement data base) as a lost or stolen tag. If they reissued you the same number and it were to be run by an Officer, it would come back as lost/stolen and you would be stopped and asked to exit your vehicle with your hands clasped over your head. For this reason, they may not be willing to reissue the same tag.

Since you most likely lost the tag along the highway, someone may find it and turn it in to the police. If the tag got banged up on the road and turned in, they would probably make you a new one (for a fee, of course) as they would not have enter it into the computer.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
THIS WEB SITE SHOULD KIND OF HELP.
http://www.timberman.com/salvage.htm
lots of surplus parts
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
So... I need to find a replacement back panel for my 1967 Tradewind.
Has anyone seen any out there? Please let me know if you do.-Kristiana

Kristiana, Contact Tedd Ill (TILL) on the forums and he may have the rear access door that you are looking for. He stripped out and torn down a 1967 Ambassador to get parts to repair his 1967 Overlander. He may well still have a All-In-One Service Center access door. Tell him I sent you his way. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
kristiana

1967 24' Tradewind
1960 Caravel
1962 16' Bambi
You guys are the best. I feel better already

I'll have to head into DMV on Monday and see if they'll have mercy on me and let me have my same lic. plate. Hopefully I get a trailer owner/lover behind the desk! You were lucky to get yours again, Kevin, keep your fingers crossed for me.
(Unless I find myself with my hands clasped over my head, as you said, moosetags. Now THAT would make for a good story- once it was over).

Timetogo- thank you so much for that link- I LoVe RV Doctor George in Sac. and never realized he has email. I've emailed already.

Biged52- good tip! Thank you! I'm hoping Ted has the rear acess door for me. I'll let him know you send me.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted...
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiana

I'll have to head into DMV on Monday and see if they'll have mercy on me and let me have my same lic. plate. Hopefully I get a trailer owner/lover behind the desk!
Hi kristiana,

I don't think you will have a problem getting a replacement lic. plate. My sister's car was rear ended, destroyed the lic. plate and they issued a new replacement. They also allow you to keep the personalized plate when you switch vehicles.

A photo of the trailer with the panel and lic. plate intact would help the DMV clerk understand why you need a replacement.

Best of Luck.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
kristiana

1967 24' Tradewind
1960 Caravel
1962 16' Bambi
Okay friends, here’s how the story ends…

I went to DMV today & also called the 1-800 number to confirm
what I was told: California will NOT re-issue the same personalized plate on a (one-plate) trailer (boo-hoo). ( You were right moosetags).

When I asked how long until my old plate is available for registration
(I was thinking, a phone number becomes available again so...),
they said "never". It will never be available again.

Well...we sure had some great trips together, but it's time to come to terms with it I suppose.

The good news is that I got online and ordered new personalized plate very similar to the one I had Lost: SLVR TRL and
the new one is: SLVR TLR look for it on a highway near you...

Anyway, the moral of the story is:

~Check you rear access door latch & all other latches before departing!

~Make an appointment with DMV -OR- get the info. online because life is
too short to wait on line for hours!

Thanks to you all for seeing me through. Much appreciated.

Now for that rear access door...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Hate to tell you but the rear door, on a 67, falls out as a result of rear end separation. The body is loose from the frame and the hole that the door fits into stretches and lets the door fall out.
Push the bumper up and down and see if a gap opens up between it and the body. This needs to be fixed to keep any new door from falling out. Also a good idea to have straps on that door to keep it close by if it falls out.
This is a problem with all 67 models as Airstream forgot what hinges were that year.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote