Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Somewhere , Virginia
AS Storage

Hi Everyone,

I have an AS International Signature TT and find it's limited on storage space for thing like leveling blocks, hoses, etc. All of these get dirty and I hate to put them inside the TT. Has anyone found a way to increase storage on the outside of the TT?
larrysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Hi Larry, I can't offer suggestions on the AS as we don't have ours yet but one thing we have decided is to tow with a full size long bed pickup with a topper which will mean a lot of storage. I have already built a shelf across the back and a shelf over one wheel well. I can carry six large totes, 3 on the floor lined up against the cab and 3 more on the shelf above. A full size ice chest is bungied to the wheel well shelf for easy access thru the side window, as well as another box with things you might want to get to easily and the shelf allows more storage underneath.A screen barrier is a good idea if you're worried about things coming through the back window in a crash but so far I just have light weight things up there. I keep a small floor jack on the bottom along with a piece of heavy plywood and spare tools, fluids etc. The one thing I would do different now is get one of those taller fiberglass toppers where you remove the tail gate and have a regular door, but will make do with what we have for now.
There really is a ton (no pun intended) of storage in a pickup bed if organized properly.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Yep I don't know where I'd put that stuff without a pickup bed.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Plastic boxes, trash bags, add a box over batteries, add a tray over the propane tanks and organize. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I use plastic milk crates for things that don't leak or get dirty. Hoses can be rolled up (wipe down as you roll them) and then joined together to keep them from leaking. Ropes, bungee cords, charcoal lighter, bug spray, all the little things usually used outside go into a milk crate.
Charcoal grill (Weber Smokey Joe) goes into double plastic bags and then a plastic tub.

Wheel covers go over the LP tanks. Greasy gloves used for the hitch fit inside the LP valve protection ring.

The expanding wheel chock doesn't get dirty because it's not on the ground. It gets stored in the outside storage along with the big open weave tarp we put down along the living side of the AS. (We got some 10 gallon Ziploc bags from Lowes, good for anything dirty that you can fold flat.) 4 wheel chocks and 6 Lego Leveling blocks can fit in the bumper storage. More Legos are in a bag in the outside storage.

In my SUV I got the big cargo mat to protect the cargo area carpet. I've had some things leak so it's been very handy, carpet is still like new.

You just have to get creative about storage. When we arrive I take out all the milk crates and Weber. If it rains it doesn't matter if these things get wet.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only other two classic answers are:

1) reduce the number of things you bring along
2) get a bigger AS

A full width tool box in the pickup bed is a good place to toss stuff.

Adding outside storage pretty much has to mean taking away inside storage. There's only just so much volume. If you are going to give up the space anyway, converting this or that drawer into "dirty" makes more sense. Move things like tools in first and then progress to the nastier stuff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I'm not short on storage necessarily, but I don't have a good place to store my area rugs.

I will be installing at least 1 if not 2 tubes underneath the trailer, width wise for my area rugs and potentially fishing poles. People have improvised with 4x4" or 5x5" vinyl fence posts (~$28 at your fav hardware store), in 8' sections, to add underneath many RVs. They've generally used them for slinkies, but perhaps you can find other good items to store in them to open up storage elsewhere? It won't hang down any lower than the stock short slinky storage that already underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASstorage.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	292303
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote