Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Zip Dee Chairs - Worth it?

Sometimes I think I did not buy a trailer so much as a do-it-yourself kit. But, after two years of work to make my '85 Sovereign usable, I am now able to devote a little time and a bit of money to making it more comfortable. Just today, for example, I installed a new Weingard batwing antenna. I can finally dispose of that awful folding thing that was broken anyway.

Back to my question. We need one, or possibly two chairs. Although not campfire people, we do set outside occasionally, and one chair is a necessity for dining inside. As much as I like the Lafuma recliners, there is no way I have room for one inside our 25' coach. Their regular arm chairs do not impress me at all.

The Zip Dee chair I saw did impress, however. It looked sturdy, seemed very comfortable, and was a size I could use indoors or out. So are they as good as they appear. For the price - around $75 or $80 I think - they would need to be!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:06 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi, Mark.

The original ZipDee chairs actually were included with our trailer when we bought it! They are small, have sturdy lightweight steel frames, sturdy cloth, and are reasonably comfortable. Are they worth $80 each? I certainly wouldn't buy them if they hadn't come with the trailer. There are lots of innovative folding chairs out there now with lightweight frames in the under $20 range.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i have two i bought from camping world at a discount. dont think i would pay $80 for one . but i can say they are sturdy chairs and you will have them for a while. the country store in jackson center was srlling them for a good price/ dont know what they are going for now but search airstream.com. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

It would be great to find something decent for less than Zip Dee prices, but so far I have not found anything that seemed likely to survive more than a season or two. I sat in one $20 chair that promply ripped out the bottom. I know what you are thinking, and I am only 180 lbs.

If anyone has any good suggestions, I would be grateful.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I will admit that thae Zip Dee chairs are expensive, but consider this. We have 2 of them, they are used regulary, we bought them almost 10 YEARS Ago. They have the original fabric, etc. I have never had any folding chair last this long. We had some look alikes when we first started and they lasted a little more than a year.

Are there more comfortable chairs? yes, but for space requirements and duarability the Zip Dee's are hard to beat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
i'll buy a zippy chair.....

if their new spokesperson is william(da frige) perry......
norby......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Zip Dee Chairs

We recently bought two Zip Dee chairs and they are of good quality. We didn't even consider the cost when we knew we could still get the chairs made in the same material as our awning. It is nice to put them away in their "designated" storage compartment as well. It is really about what you like. We like to get our projects back to as original as possible (even if it means buying new replicas at times.)
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

We just purchased a 2002 Classic from a dealer. The Airstream was just used a few times, but when the original owner traded it in for an Airstream coach he did not return the charis.

We were able to purchase two Zip-Dee chairs from the dealer, which were used as demos on the show room floor for $50.00 each. We sure hope it was a good deal. We think so.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee chairs

As Sherlock Holmes once said, "It's elementary."

Airstream is the best, as so is Zip Dee chairs as well as awnings.

The Airstream was purchased to make your feet, your eyes, your back and your mind, "HAPPY."

Why buy something other than the best, "FOR YOUR BUTT?"

Don't need to take Chairs 101 for the answer.

We should all remember, that as many times as our "butt" gets kicked, bruised, or otherwise taken advantage of, we should give considerable consideration to how we treat or take care of it, especially when it comes to comfort.

After all, whats fair, is fair.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
chairs

Wolfsong,

While at the International Ralley earlier this month, I learned it to be popular to have your name and WBCCI numbers embroidered into the back of your zip dee chairs.

Possibly a reason the chairs were not returned with your new (to you) unit.