Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #21
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
The only downside to renting an f250 is that you wont want to tow with your f150 any longer...
Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We are in the Bay Area and the AS dealer here rents F-150. You should check with the dealer in your area.
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
maa
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Would you tow with a rental truck?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Got the dealership manager this morning at 7 and miraculously truck was fixed at 2PM! So relieved and glad they got it done and we are rolling out tomorrow as planned.

On a side note, Ford Extended Warranty provides $30 a day rental credit for up to 10 days so if we had to rent they would have paid $300 out of a $1,000 or so bill.
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Got the dealership manager this morning at 7 and miraculously truck was fixed at 2PM! So relieved and glad they got it done and we are rolling out tomorrow as planned.

On a side note, Ford Extended Warranty provides $30 a day rental credit for up to 10 days so if we had to rent they would have paid $300 out of a $1,000 or so bill.

Glad to hear that maa!

And $30/day or $300/10 days is helpful!

You might want to go online before you leave to set up an account with Enterprise Commercial/Enterprise Truck Rental just in case, since the account set-up is free. Also go by your local store for them & introduce yourself & your towing needs with ETR as your back-up in emergencies etc.

Safe Travels!

Tom
///////

PS - Admins - Why is this doubling my double spacing at paragraphs??

Please PM me on why or what I'm doing wrong.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #25
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
You might want to go online before you leave to set up an account with Enterprise Commercial/Enterprise Truck Rental just in case, since the account set-up is free. Also go by your local store for them & introduce yourself & your towing needs with ETR as your back-up in emergencies etc.
^^What he said! I would recommend it to anyone who tows, especially if your vacation time is precious and you need to have a reliable TV.

BTW - A friend of mine just bought a 2018 Dodge Diesel 2500 - it didn't make it home before the check engine light came on! A Diesel Particulate sensor went bad. Funny thing was, he traded in his BMW Diesel X5? SUV because it's check engine was always coming on. Just goes to show you that new isn't always improved!
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I've been in the same situation recently and looked into renting. I see no problem with it other than the cost - it was much more expensive than I expected (we were going on a six week trip).
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
I've been in the same situation recently and looked into renting. I see no problem with it other than the cost - it was much more expensive than I expected (we were going on a six week trip).

However, the cost is relative to actual use over the full year.

If you only used the TV for 6 weeks a year, then the rental cost will be much less than ownership when considering the aggregate of all of the purchase, insurance, maintenance, etc. costs all tolled - unless you have other uses for the vehicle during the other 44 weeks of the year.

At some point buying vs. renting or leasing hits a breakeven point, where it makes more sense to get your own TV plus for whatever other uses you have.

Big trucks & SUVs capable of towing the larger trailers rarely make any sense for commuting to work, unless you're in construction, ranching/farming, etc. where the truck is a necessity.

Just some thoughts on the "must own the TV" theory!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 08-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
. . .
PS - Admins - Why is this doubling my double spacing at paragraphs??

Please PM me on why or what I'm doing wrong.
Are you using Firefox? See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ts-182555.html

It is my understanding that this site is waiting for Firefox to issue a patch for their latest versions of Firefox.

If you post on that other thread, maybe we could get this course correction heading in the right direction.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Are you using Firefox? See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ts-182555.html

It is my understanding that this site is waiting for Firefox to issue a patch for their latest versions of Firefox.

If you post on that other thread, maybe we could get this course correction heading in the right direction.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I posted over there & am using Win 10 & Firefox 61.0.1, but it appears to have stopped the doubling of the page breaks today, so maybe not a Mozilla issue?

Regular spacing here.

OOPS - Check that, as soon as I post it, it still doubles the 2x page break!

Cheers!
Tom
///////