Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Would you sell!!

I just went and picked up our trailer and had something happen that I was not prepared for. John at the tire store told me this guy came by the shop today and asked who's Airstream and then he asked was it for sale so John gave him our number. I had been home 5 min and the guy called and asked me a million questions and the whole time I was telling him it's not For Sale so he kept on and kept on so I told him I would talk to my husband just to get him off the phone. Then I started thinking wonder how much he would like to have it Then I got to thinking how hard it was for us to find just the one we wanted.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
go for it

Hello.. Beck.. believe it or not... there is another one out there... we sold our other Argosy and had decided not to look for the 30 footer that we wanted and behold 8 days later when we least expected it.. there it was and for a great price and we are completely redoing it for our requirements.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
This happens if you own an older unit long enough. We live WAY out in the country and have had people ask if it is for sale twice, while it was not under cover. When they start with "Is the travel trailer for sale?" you know that you're in for someone thinking they can take you for a ride and try to get it cheap. If he offers double what you put in it, or enough to get the EXACT one you want , then take it. But he probably won't.

Keep in mind there's plenty of AS for sale, and if you can flip this one to buy something that is closer to your ideal, if this one isn't it, then you should sell. But he's hoping to get a deal, I bet.

Good luck and make sure to take a count of exactly how much you have put in it. Then ask yourself, that if offered the right amount would you still sell? Let us know how it goes!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
As Far as I can Tell...

Out here in NM, 31 foot Airstreams are widely available in all conditions of repair and disrepair. The shorter trailers are in more demand and hence they are harder to find. There are many more old Airstreams available than there is $$ to purchase, repair, restore and renovate them. Nobody wants to compensate your for your time and money if you do a thorough renovation.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I guess if someone wanted to pay enough for our Caravel to buy a new 22' CCD I might go for it - maybe...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
You were all right, I called the guy back and told him so far what we had put in the trailer and how hard in Mississippi it is to find another one (you cant) and I was honest with him and told him the problems we have not fixed as of yet and then I told him what I would take for it, he was silent for a few seconds and said I didnt know they are worth that and 31 years old and then he preceded to knick pick the clear coat peeling so I told him after I polish in November the price will be double and laughed.
I told him about the forums so maybe he will check us out, between us I'm sooooo glad he didnt take me up I love my trailer and would hate to have to start all over again, next time this happens I'm just going to laugh and say no way.
Air# 9552
Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just make sure they pay enough for it you can go buy one finished, so you don't have to start all over again. Oh wait, I thought mine WAS finished when I got it. Now that I've replaced the floor, axel, and appliances, I guess I learned my lesson! Stick with what you've got!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Steph,
That's the truth!!! I just looked out my front window and the trailer and truck are ready to go in the morning. How in the world could I have even thought of such a thing. Sell I dont think soooo!!!!
Air# 9552
Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Oh, I'm sure he knows what it's worth already. He knew about the clear coat, right? These guys are a dime a dozen. Not to say that if I saw one for sale for dirt cheap I wouldn't snatch it up, but I wouldn't go around offering to buy up "poor old trailers" from everyone I met. Well, takes all kinds.

He probably sells autographed pictures of Jesus on eBay, too.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I get prospective "buyers" all the time who stop to look. I just tell them the older & smaller the more expensive and point out that mine is both old & small . I make sure to suggest E-bay to the wheeler dealers because we all know thats where real "deals" are.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Yep. Offer me $40k for the Behemoth... and it's yours!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Offers to buy my '51 are always appreciated. It keeps reminding me of how much effort it was to find it, then to personalize it to the level I'm very happy with and obviously someone else is willing to pay money for it which is a great compliment. However, I also know the angst of looking, the miles on the car and the disappointments with others peoples statements about their units that don't meet what I understood them to say. The phone calls, the deal just lost because someone else showed up sooner or was willing to pay far more than I felt it was worth, then getting the new one home and not knowing anything about the true status of repair, etc. For me, unless I'm convinced I am going to move to another unit or the money is silly (it does happen - I've had people want a car so bad (like our '72 corvette roadster) that they've offered far more than I'd of been willing to take and I was excited to see them pick it up and hand over the loot) I just don't think for me it's worth the hassle. I don't want to miss one day of camping time because I'm out looking for a replacement for my baby I got talked out of. But then again it's always a very personal decision.

It sounds like this fellow was looking for a deal. Frankly, if it were me and as soon as he started nit picking I'd of thanked him for his interest but it's not for sale and finished the call.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Would you sell!!

Greetings Rebel Beck!

Over the years, I have been approached countless times by people wanting to buy either my Airstream, Argosy, or one of my collector cars. I have only come close once with one of my collector cars, and that was back in 1982 when I was tempted by a trade offer for a similar car that was five years newer with the only option that I had wished for on mine -- factory air conditioning -- couldn't bring myself to part with my car as it was in my favorite color combination while the proposed trade car had an interior color that I knew that I wouldn't like.

In the years since then, I have developed a standard reply. "If you would like to leave your name and contact information in my record book for the vehicle, I will contact you in the unexpected event that I should decide to sell." In my Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible, there are more than 125 entries in the book from the time that I have owned the car -- September 11, 1974 through today. My Airstream's book has about 15 entries while my Minuet has about 20 entries.

I am of the opinion that if you like the coach and aren't craving a coach of a different model year or floorplan, that it is best to stay the course. The only time that I have ever remotely considered parting with my Overlander was when I had to face having the rear floor and separation issues repaired -- it would have been a wash to trade the coach on a similarly sized 1972 Airstream; but I couldn't bring myself to consider parting with a coach that I enjoyed as much as the '64.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
I'm stuck on this...

I can't beleive the guy at the store just gave someone your number.

how it should have gone: "I can give him a call and relay your information."

but, that's just my take on it.

But, back on topic, as they say "everything is for sale, it just costs money". If someone walked up to me and offered me a number that I couldn't refuse for our trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to let it go and look for another new one.

b.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
I can't beleive the guy at the store just gave someone your number.

how it should have gone: "I can give him a call and relay your information."

but, that's just my take on it.

But, back on topic, as they say "everything is for sale, it just costs money". If someone walked up to me and offered me a number that I couldn't refuse for our trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to let it go and look for another new one.

b.
Yes, but you have a 2006 model and could order a new one from a dealer, try that for a 1975 31' Sovereign or a 1954 Double Door 29' Liner or even a 1979 23' Safari.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I hear ya, Kevin ...

This makes me recall the story from a city in the south of France about 10 years ago. The details escape me but the general idea was high demand for a low turnover in personal home properties (or Airstreams in our case). A man in his late 50s paid the full price to buy an older woman's house but he would not take possession until she passed on. This made the news on her 102nd birthday. I don't think she lived much longer but she had out-lived him by some years.

So my Airstream is on sale for less than full price but I get to keep it as long as I live. Then I would be able to live in the style to which I'm accustomed...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote