Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari
williamsburg , Virginia
winterizing

First..I wish to commend the AirForum for all the valuable information that comes from all the participants. Next, I am an old guy and relatively computer illiterate. Having said that, I am about to undertake winterizing my AS. My question is...how do I bypass the water heater so as not to fill it with antifreeze?

2006 Safari 25' TB
2500HD GMC gas
golf3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You have to have a bypass valve or valves for the water heater. Look in the compartment next to the water heater and see if there is a by pass valve already installed in your trailer. On some Airstreams it is a gray metal box about 4" squire with a handle and bypass written on one position. Some trailers come with them. Some do not. If you do not have bypass valves you will have to install some. Camper world sells a kit. I installed a CW kit and it leaked after my installation. I took it out and used PEX and valves from Home Depot. It worked that time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
From one old guy to another, take it to the dealer and let them winterize it. They guarantee their work, and you don't have to crawl around on your knees trying to find things that you can't even see while trying to work on them.

Many years ago the dealers around here charged $50 to do it. Now they are up to $100 to $150, depending where you go, but it's well worth it.

That's also a good time to get those little things fixed that you have been putting off, too.

Then take it to your local, friendly body shop or auto detailer and have her washed and waxed.

Now you're ready to put her to bed for the winter, and your knees, hips, and shoulders aren't killing you. Great, huh.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Define "old." I too have a 2006 25 but mine is the 25FB. I am not aware of a 25TB. In 2006 they had an FB, SS and then a plain old 25 which is what yours might be.

In the FB you will find the bypass valves(and HW tank) just inside the front curbside exterior door. The valves are easy to figure out. When the handle is inline with the tube the water is flowing through. When it is perpendicular to the tube it is shutoff. You want to close the lines into and out of the heater and open the bypass between them.

When done properly mine needs to have all three valves facing the same direction. When the HW tank is working they are all horizontal, when the HW tank is bypassed they are all vertical.

If you have/want to spend the money then having the shop winterize is a great way to go. If not, it isn't very difficult.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Do it yourself. It's not difficult and it is worth knowing how. Otherwise you'll be captive the dealer, his prices and his schedule.

I'm an old guy (in some peoples eyes), I don't find it onerous, and I know it's done right.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Find the bypass. It is very near the water heater.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote