Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

FYI there is a Caravel forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f548/

. . . as well as a Refrigerator forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/

How about starting a new 12-volt fridge topic there?

"12 volt fridge no propane option" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=12+v...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-s-202565.html

Thanks
Gee thanks so much for that but if you are able to follow along you would understand how my post was relative to the conversation. Sorry for your confusion.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
We live in an urban setting and a 19ft trailer will not fit on our property.

The rear panoramic window along with the rear bed sealed the deal for us on deciding to buy our first AS. It replaced our trailer that had the same setup. My wife, while I’m sitting out at the campfire drinking a beer after sundown, loves to get ready for bed, Kindle in hand, opens the back window and watch the campfire from bed. Just a screen between her and those nasty mosquitos. She’s a mosquito magnet. Camping in bed, & also great for breakfast in bed. Our first choice is always a back in, no pull thru’s for us. A snorting deer, wrangling a bob cat out of our camp site, woke us up one morning at Palo Duro SP. Another time, at 2 am, she opened her eyes to a Buffalo staring at her. Dang thing was as big as our the trailer. A herd moved thru with calfs, grazing at night, sounded like cutting grass with a scythe. Who knew? Caprock Canyon SP. My wife insist on sleeping next to the window with the window & curtains open if possible.

Years ago we started out backpacking, camped in tents, owned a pop-up, then 2 TT, this being our first AS. “Head & shoulders” above the rest. 12% below list is what we paid for our Caravel. We did get the solar upgrade, 90W panel with 2 Lifeline agm batteries thrown in at no charge. Long story on that, with some luck. Our last $16k trailer, 17ft, we used heavily for 10 years and sold for $14k cash in 9hrs after posting it on FB. The purchaser said he had a 5th wheel sitting in his barn. Go figure. Our dealer sold 6 new 16ft Caravels, in Jan-Feb. their allotment. 3 purchased sight unseen. I was able to inspect ours a couple of days before and we got the last one.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, one strategy is simply to wait for a few months and when all of these brand new 16 foot airstream buyers realize how small it is and want to trade up, (According to reports here) you’ll be able to pick up a practically new 16 foot airstream at a great discount.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #124
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My simple opinion is I'll never have another trailer with a single axle.

Can you tell a newbie why? Backing up issues or?
jmj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:27 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
How tall are you and your wife?

I owned a 19' Bambi I bought from a neighbor for one year before upgrading to a 22' Sport. I use it solo. My neighbor owned it for many years & used it often. But his wife is barely 5' tall and he is perhaps 5' 4". My thinking was how could it not be OK by myself? Solo the bed was OK but I found the dinette uncomfortably small.

And when I bought the Sport I also considered a 25' Flying Cloud. I went with the Sport because it was narrower (I am not a big fan of driving next to Jersey barriers).

I like the way you can pivot the Sports table affording two people more elbow room. And the dinette table's proximity to the galley makes food prep just a little bit easier.
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
There are numerous threads on this. The installation of propane refrigerators on the smaller Airstreams are really poor due to lack of proper ventilation. Most fixes are marginal and require one if not two fans which will need to run continuously once temperatures reach into the 80s or so. This draw in addition to the draw to power the control board really make the difference very marginal. Add the occasional waist of having to chuck everything in the fridge because the internal temp reach the 60s overnight and the compressor fridge becomes a clear winner.

Interesting comment. I didn’t realize this was an issue specific to the smaller trailers.

The propane refrigerator in our 22 has been excellent. Even 100 degree heat hasn’t caused a problem. Of course, we ended up spending a few days with full hookups and the fan running. Perhaps we just got a good one.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Let me authoritatively settle this for OP once for all.

After owning the 16' Caravel for 2 years, we are so happy with it and we wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have done many upgrade/mod to it - we have 300ah Lithium, 380w solar, 2000w inverter that are even capable of powering AC.

We enjoyed it so much I even started a blog for some of our trips and DIYs

http://www.air16.org

Cheers

By the way, I am the OP
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Now that's good follow up feedback.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:04 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kamloops , british columbia
love love love the closet shelving!!
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
PS very nice blog with lots of good tips and creativity.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote