Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Question Why post classifieds here??

There seems to be a lot of members posting notices for their classified ads here just to let us know their AS is for sale.
When I want to look at the classifieds I go there. If I am keeping up on general AS info I don't need or want to look at the increasing number of notices.
I think this is a fairly recent trend.
Any thoughts or opinions?
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdigger View Post
There seems to be a lot of members posting notices for their classified ads here just to let us know their AS is for sale.
When I want to look at the classifieds I go there. If I am keeping up on general AS info I don't need or want to look at the increasing number of notices.
I think this is a fairly recent trend.
Any thoughts or opinions?
If you're referring to "here" as the Portal page or New Posts page of AIRForums, when one creates a classified ad on AirstreamClassifieds, a single automatically-generated post is created on AIRForums under the "AirstreamClassifieds" section in Dollars & Cents. Like other posts, it shows up on the Portal page ordered by the time it was published.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Some people do it because they don't know better and because they've seen other people do it. Some people do it because it's easier to post a thread with an item of interest that might just get sold through private message then make an actual classified ad.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Some people do it because they don't know better and because they've seen other people do it. Some people do it because it's easier to post a thread with an item of interest that might just get sold through private message then make an actual classified ad.
Actually, outside of the automated posts I described in my previous post in the thread, any other selling in the regular forums is prohibited and will be removed on discovery. Making a habit of trying to sell that way will be dealt with appropriately.

Commercial members are allowed to post sales information within the commercial forum only, so the regular forums should be free of sales activity and we try to keep it that way.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I like the notices.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes, agree fully, just saying that's why some do it.

Also when told that it's not permitted most genuinely apologize and make a real classified add soon thereafter.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
They are automatically posted to the "New Posts" here. Just scroll by if you aren't interested.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
They are automatically posted to the "New Posts" here. Just scroll by if you aren't interested.
Except they "feel" like click-bait.

Because due to the title, it's unclear if it is a For Sale post, or an on-topic post relating to that year and model of unit.

And since they often are by new members with only 1 post, I too found them to be a bit spamm-y

Suggestion -- could all of these have a flag by their title. Something like New Classified Listing :Name as shows currently.

So something like
New Classified Listing: 23D Flying Cloud 2010 in California

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Except they "feel" like click-bait.

Because due to the title, it's unclear if it is a For Sale post, or an on-topic post relating to that year and model of unit.

And since they often are by new members with only 1 post, I too found them to be a bit spamm-y

Suggestion -- could all of these have a flag by their title. Something like New Classified Listing :Name as shows currently.

So something like
New Classified Listing: 23D Flying Cloud 2010 in California
If you've opened the post (so that you can see how many posts the user has) then you can look up and see which forum it's posted in. You can also inspect the URL and see that it points to AirstreamClassifieds.com and in 99/100 cases the post title is the standard format for the titles of Airstream Classified posts (built from clicking the year/make/model/length selections as you're writing a listing... that's too much for some people and they just write in a title without selecting the categories to make their ad easier to find but anyway...)

Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I get what you're saying. But I went back and looked, and if I hover over the thread title to read the first few lines, it says:

"I just posted" a new ad. That's why it hits me as spammy. It's the "I". If it said Just Posted, it (to me) wouldn't seem to be written by a person who is trying to get me to click on a link.

Semantics? Yes. But I am not a robot, and don't like it when robots pretend to be real.

I am reading on a computer. Not sure if these look/filter differently on the app or on other devices.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
It drove me nuts, too, so I turned it off by ignoring the entire Classifieds section of the forum. You can only do it on the desktop website, and not the mobile app (the desktop has some great features that the mobile version doesn't, and vice-versa - frustrating, but that's another forum thread for another time).

From the main forums page, scroll down to Classifieds. Once you're in the Classifieds forum, select forum tools right below the page selector, and click on "Ignore Forum". You'll never see another classified post notice again.

You can do this in any forum, or on any individual thread, but you have to do it on the desktop or full version of the website, not the mobile app. This will help you whittle down the content, and tailor the content more closely to your individual needs.

I've attached a couple of screen grabs to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 10.41.48 AM.png
Views:	190
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	302237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 10.38.41 AM.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	302238  

YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
I like seeing the AS for sale ads in the portal. Breaks up the monotony and I would never check the classifieds otherwise. Sometimes I just scroll right past them without giving the ad a second thought.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not , some are interesting,...you don’t have to read them
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I bought a set of 4 15'' aluminum rims and tires plus the spare for 200.00. I would have never noticed the add except for the initial notice. I wasn't looking for rims, but couldn't pass up the deal. The owner was upgrading to 16'' rims and tires. His old ones were only a year old. I've also gave away my original rims to someone on this forum. Someone else posted a thread saying a tree branch demoed his solar panel. I offered two panels for free if he picked them up. He drove the 50 miles to pick them up that Saturday. So it works both ways.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Posts advertizing a coach for sale should be scrubbed from the portal links. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Personally, I don't find them offensive or spammy. Often I'll look and grab some screen shots for future inspiration as I need not another trailer, four is plenty said the wife.

I will say that it does seem to be a newer phenomena. I certainly don't recall them being there before (I'm not sure when before, but, sometime before that when).

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Actually, what grinds my gears, is the 6 times the AIRFORUMS popup has appeared in the last 10 minutes... I'm logged in, I already get the newsletter that I think it's trying to force down my throat.

Please. Make. It. Stop.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
7th time after I posted that last post...