Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2003, 02:46 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Narnian!

Quote:
The only big downside to this trailer is that there is no AC. Can you add a roof AC without cutting anything?
Adding an air conditioner to a post '61 Airstream coach usually isn't a particular problem - - it is easier if there is one there already, but is far from impossible. Beginning in '64 Airstream coaches were per-wired and braced for air conditioning, and by the time the 1970s rolled out the condesate drain tubes were also factory installed in the walls as part of the air conditioner installation preparation. One way that you can tell whether the preparation package is there is the existence of an extra 20-Amp circuit in the circuit breaker box - - it is there to accommodate the air conditioner. Just be prepared in a coach that doesn't have air conditioning that you will be facing having a 14" square hole cut in the roof and ceiling panels of the trailer - - Airstream did not install the air conditioner in an existing vent opening in the Vintage coaches - - rather, it was installed in a "cut-opening" at a location specified by the factory measured from the first front roof bow (the romex cable for the air conditioner will be found at this point ready for connection - - the other end should be found in the vicinity of the circuit brekaer box). Depending upon whether you want the air conditioner with condesate pan (utilizes the built-in drain system) or a less expensive standard air conditioner, you would be looking at a cost of from $750.00 to $1,250.00 for professional installation of an air conditioner. My Airstream dealer just installed a Coleman Mini Mach in my '78 Argosy Minuet for about $775.00 - - this is a standard air conditioner that does not have the condesate drain pan, and it was a new installation so the holes had to be cut in both the roof and interior panels.

Quote:
It was in excellent condition, except that he said there was a problem with the water heater. Water came up in the bath, but not in the sink. Personally, this sounds like a problem with a water pump, not the water heater, but I don't know the system.
Is is unlikely that this is a major problem. My suspicion would be a shut-off valve or low-point drain valve that needs to be closed/opened. Another possibility is a clogged aerator at the faucet spout. My '78 Argosy Minuet possessed this water supply problem when I furst purchased it, and as it turned out, it had both a clogged sediment filter at the faucet and a shut-off valve below the bath vanity cabinet that needed to be opened - - following that all use points had water.

So long as the two issues indicated are the only ones present, the coach may be a good value. If the water heater is actually faulty, the replacement cost would likely approach $750 with professional installation. You would also want to assure yourself that the refrigerator is functional (a new Dometic RV refrigerator can exceed $1,300 with installation), and that all other appliances operate to your satisfaction - - the other appliances are less costly than the refrigerator but can easily cost in excess of $500 with professional installation (Univolt, furnace, etc.).

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And another Greetings, Narnian!

I had a '70 Safari for a number of years and it is still in the family. It's a great coach and a great size. Easy enough to pull, small enough to take anywhere, large enough to move around in and be comfortable.

If it's in nice condition, and the owner will bargain on the price a little, you can hardly go wrong.

Kevin covered the A/C issues well, and the rest of it is normal maintenance stuff to look out for. If it's all good... go for it!

Best of luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

The owner said he was firm on the price. According to that link you folks sent me, this trailer fits into the "average"category, Average runs between $4400 - $6000. This trailer seemed to be almost completely original, and the only flagrant problem is the plumbing. I was surprised at the good condition of the interior. To make up for the water trouble the owner is throwing in a nice weight distributing hitch for free.

I just figured out from looking at all the photos, that it must be missing the big curved window shield in the front. What should that cost?

I'm guessing from what everyone has said that it's worth the asking price. I'm keeping my eyes open for other deals, but I may go ahead and buy this trailer.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Why is Airstream any better than the other brands?

Greetings Narnian!!

Quote:
I just figured out from looking at all the photos, that it must be missing the big curved window shield in the front. What should that cost?
The front window rock guard is helpful in preventing damage to the costly to replace "wing windows" (the small windows at either side of the center operable window). One thing that is given up once the rock guard is installed is the "see through" design feature of the coach. What this means is that if you leave the drapes on the front and rear windows open while towing, it is possible to see through the trailer using the tow vehicle's rear view mirror (assuming that the tow vehicle rides high enough to do so - - my Suburban does, my Cadillac doesn't).

Inland RV lists the front window rock guards at:

Solar Standard Airstream Front Window Rock Guard

A photo of the rock guard can be found on Inland's site at:

Airstream Front Window Rock Guard

One thing that you will want to keep in mind with this part is that the cost of shipping can quickly add up. It is of such a size that truck freight will likely be the only delivery method available, and the cost can be quite significant (my suggestion would be to get the price with shipping to avoid any unexpected surprise).

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 06:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

You mean you can actually SEE THROUGH the trailer? That's amazing! That alone is almost reason enough to get one. My Jeeps are definately high enough to make use of that.

Is there any way to protect those side windows without blocking the view?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Narnian!

There is a possible solution that wouldn't block the center window, but it woudln't be a "perfect fit" on the 1970 model as the part is actually made for late 1970s Argosys and 1980s Airstreams. For these trailers, Airstream produced a three-piece rock guard with wing window guards that are semi-permanently installed with a separate, operable center section. It would be possible to install the "wing window" guards separates (they would be somewhat larger than the wing windows on a 1970 coach). The photo below is of one of the Three-Piece guards on my '78 Argosy Minuet - - another possibility would be to install the entire guard and replace the "solar gray" center section with clear lexan (this is actually in my future plans for the Minuet):

Kevin
Attached Images

AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 06:57 AM   #27
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Narnian
You mean you can actually SEE THROUGH the trailer? That's amazing! That alone is almost reason enough to get one. My Jeeps are definately high enough to make use of that.

Is there any way to protect those side windows without blocking the view?
Not that I know of. I towed our 23' from San Diego to Lake Co. CA years ago after I lost the original rock guard to a wind storm. I threw a rock through one of the 'wing' windows. Santa Rosa Airstream installed a replacement. After the cost and hassle (and this was in 1990), I bought a new rock guard. I'm not sure that those windows are even still available. I have been told that the supply of the windows for the '69 (a different shape from the '70) has dried up. I'm sure someone else can chime in here with updated info.

The see-through feature was wonderful, but to me, not worth the costs of that window and getting it replaced. I've never seen anything out there that would just protect the 'wing' windows.

Roger
Old 08-03-2003, 07:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Narnian ,yes they do make one that you can see thru ,my 71 Tradewind has one I can look straight thru the rig and at traffic behind me , I love this feature, and will miss it on my 74 Tradewind. If you cant find one you may be able to get a fabrication shop to make one for you.Or try calling one of the Airstream bone yards.
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #29
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by 71tradewind
Narnian ,yes they do make one that you can see thru ,my 71 Tradewind has one I can look straight thru the rig and at traffic behind me , I love this feature, and will miss it on my 74 Tradewind. If you cant find one you may be able to get a fabrication shop to make one for you.Or try calling one of the Airstream bone yards.
Very cool! Can you post a photo or two?

Roger
Old 08-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Narnian!

I was able to get a better photo of the three-piece rock guard with the center section raised so that the two wing window guards are a bit easier to distinguish. Retaining the see-through design could be achieved one of two ways - - not installing the center section (at least on my coach, the center window is flat glass that isn't terribly difficult to replace if it happens to get damaged) or replace the solar gray material in the center section with clear Lexan (my current plan for the future on the Minuet).

Kevin
Attached Images

AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Narnian!

Here is a close-up photo of the curbside wing window guard. Each wing window guard is installed with a pair of hinges on the side of the coach (designed so that the guard can easily be lifted off if so desired), and a pair of set-screw brackets next to the center front window. I have a number of mounting photos posted to the thread below (the photos are near the bottom of the thread):

Minuet Front Window Rock Guards

Kevin
Attached Images

AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Roger you can see a photo of my Tradewind /rock guard at http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...wind/71TWa.jpg
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #33
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
is it clear?

Quote:
Originally posted by 71tradewind
Roger you can see a photo of my Tradewind /rock guard at http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...wind/71TWa.jpg
It appears similar to the 'new' one I installed on my Safari years ago, but the Safari's was dark smoked plexi (acrylic) and tough to see through. Is yours clear?

Roger
Old 08-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Hmm. Not sure if I'd prefer a single clear protector or to just use the side protectors from that other system. I guess I'd have to price them out. Both systems seem to be pretty good.

I wonder if covering the side windows with vinyl would be sufficient protection. You could use transparent velcro around the edges of the window and cut vinyl to fit the side windows. For that matter, you could put cardboard or foam under the vinyl. It would look just like the stoneguards I've seen on te bottom front ends of some airstreams.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #35
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
See through ... not!

Even if I replaced my center panel with clear material, the window in the rear is off center and above the galley counter, hence the line of sight is above the roof of most cars. I wouldn't see much out back.

I don't really miss using the rear view mirror. My old TrailManor allowed me to see trucks, but not mosr cars. My Scamp 5th-wheel blocked everything.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #36
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Narnian
Hmm. Not sure if I'd prefer a single clear protector or to just use the side protectors from that other system. I guess I'd have to price them out. Both systems seem to be pretty good.

I wonder if covering the side windows with vinyl would be sufficient protection. You could use transparent velcro around the edges of the window and cut vinyl to fit the side windows. For that matter, you could put cardboard or foam under the vinyl. It would look just like the stoneguards I've seen on te bottom front ends of some airstreams.
The rock that went through my wing window went through like a rifle shot. the rock ended up clear back into the trailer, and was about the size of a marble. It completely shattered the window out of the "D" channel that held it in. It would have gone through vinyl without blinking. My current trailer has a spot on the street side rock guard that obviously took a shot from a rock once. It did it's job, but from the inside, you can sure see where it hit!

Roger
Old 08-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
Greetings Narnian!

Adding an air conditioner to a post '61 Airstream coach usually isn't a particular problem - - it is easier if there is one there already, but is far from impossible. Beginning in '64 Airstream coaches were per-wired and braced for air conditioning, and by the time the 1970s rolled out the condesate drain tubes were also factory installed in the walls as part of the air conditioner installation preparation. One way that you can tell whether the preparation package is there is the existence of an extra 20-Amp circuit in the circuit breaker box - - it is there to accommodate the air conditioner. Just be prepared in a coach that doesn't have air conditioning that you will be facing having a 14" square hole cut in the roof and ceiling panels of the trailer - - Airstream did not install the air conditioner in an existing vent opening in the Vintage coaches - - rather, it was installed in a "cut-opening" at a location specified by the factory measured from the first front roof bow (the romex cable for the air conditioner will be found at this point ready for connection - - the other end should be found in the vicinity of the circuit brekaer box). Depending upon whether you want the air conditioner with condesate pan (utilizes the built-in drain system) or a less expensive standard air conditioner, you would be looking at a cost of from $750.00 to $1,250.00 for professional installation of an air conditioner. My Airstream dealer just installed a Coleman Mini Mach in my '78 Argosy Minuet for about $775.00 - - this is a standard air conditioner that does not have the condesate drain pan, and it was a new installation so the holes had to be cut in both the roof and interior panels.

Kevin
I haven't checked that trailer yet for the existance of the extra circuitry, but I just wanted to find out something about the AC. Can I use ANY trailer AC unit, or does it have to be specifically made for Airstream? A friend of mine just told me he has an almost new unit sitting in his garage he'd sell me for $350.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:22 PM   #38
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Any unit will work, the only thing that is Airstream only is the drain tube. If you want the water to run down the tube you have to get one that can be fitted with a pan. If you don't care how the water gets to the ground $350.00 is cheap. Remember you will still need to cut a hole in the right spot.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:03 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Thanks. I'll have to call Airstream tomorrow here in Ohio to get more information about cutting a hole in the roof. If they can do it cheap enough I'll buy the trailer.

Another trailer came up yesterday. 66 Safari, with AC for $4200. I don't think I like the 66 interior from what I've seen in the photo gallery, but at least I know it's possible to get one with AC for close to my target price.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:06 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Narnian!

Something to be aware of if you decide to consider the '66 Safari is that it was the first year of the three year run of Corning tempered glass windows. These windows while quite beautiful, are very difficult if not nearly impossible to replace if broken. Until very recently, the most common response to a broken Corning window has been to replace it with Lexan or a similar acrylic product - - there is a recent thread about a glass company in the Denver, Colorado area that will custom manufacture replacements.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
AIR #827