Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2002, 01:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Math

Fatt Ratt,
I'll sure tell him. I'm proud of him and he has his head on straight.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 05:13 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
MATH & PLANES

Hey ya'll

David, sure is good to know that some of the younger crowd are on the good path of life. My friend Bill has his degree in Bio Med Electronics, he is writing his own ticket when it comes to work. I took school way too lightly, and went back as an adult to earn my BS in Architecture. I hate drawing on the computer, any boob can do that, freehand and mechanical drawing are almost gone in todays world, wish I had got my Mech. Engin. degree. My TI 85 calculator should of received my degree. It was a kick to show younger people a slide rule in use!

As for flying, I have had this problem for sometime now, of jumping out of the aircraft while it is in mid air!! Crazy huh! That is what Mrs. Ratt said to me as I was recovering from several broken bones in one miss hap. Begging got me 2 more jumps in, but the injuries have stopped me, She was nice enough not too say, "I told you so". It's that speed thing!! maybe I'll rethink about fllying. - Ray
Old 07-26-2002, 06:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Cool Hello all!

Just turned 47, male, living in Tampa Florida. I have 2 teenagers. My daughter will be going off to college next year, and my son has 4 more years of high school. That's when I hit the road in my 1972 27' Overlander that I am currently modernizing. Quite a project, but a labor of love.

Many think I am crazy, but I recently quit my job as GM of an aluminum extrusion company. Let's just say a severe case of nepotism was destroying the company... and my mental and physical health. Ahhh, stress free... but unemployed. I am now looking for employment after having taken the summer off to spend with my kids. After this summer they are going to be too busy to want to hang out with me!

Check out my Overlander!

Barry
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bfrankli/airstream.htm
Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:44 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Intro

Hello I'm Larry brown 40 year old Union Iron worker for Universal Structraul in Vancouver washington.We build bridges and are the 5th largest in shop bridge builders in the nation. I work as a maintence mechanic I specialize in hydraulics,phuematics,electrical Tools I also do tool and die .For 22 years now.In the fall months I teach hand tools ,shop safety and Oxy feul cutting for the Iron workers apprenticeship.My wife Liz is a product develolper for columbia sportswear .weve been together 22 years.We have a 79 28 excella M.H. (we love). Were aslo what they call dinks daul income no kids.When we are not working we enjoy Rving and my Harley Davidson fatboy motorcycle. I play blues guitar.We are Moose members& HOG members. remember build union buy union
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Thumbs up Tampa.

Hi Barry,
...Tampa, WOW...LOVE BUSCH Gdns, We went to the Dali museum over the bay, actualy seen the dolphins jumping in the water as we crossed, a sight we will NEVER 4get...back in '95, that was, a R/V actualy passed us at the lights as we turned left into B/G...WAS'NT U was it...LOL, sure was big....mind U everything over in the UK is scaled DOWN, you C, WE built the roads FIRST...then made the TRANSPORT...LMAO, yea that sounds abt right, well GREETINGS 2 U ALL...
...Chris.....
PS. WE R coming BACK in NOV....
Old 08-02-2002, 09:04 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Well, I just purchased my 78 Ambassador Land Yacht - can not say that I had seen many of them - or knew much about them until I was looking for a camper to take on a trip. I think what intrigued me the most about the Airstream that like Jeeps they have a long history and avid brand loyality. So it will be interesting taking my 95 Grand Cherokee that looks more like a vehicle you would take on Safari with the Airstream back behind.

Otherwise, like many of the folks here - I was in the US Navy for 8 some years as a Sonar Tech and Naval Warfare Instructor. Now I work for myself as a Technology consultant of which sees me upgrading / managing a couple of labs at Microsoft a few times a year. Since I go out there several times a year and drive each time I go - decided instead of holing up in a hotel or B&B that I would try the camp route - hence the Airstream.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Who are we?

Well, here I go again. I have to get my airstream fix somehow. Since we have posted pictures of ourselves, our trailers/motor homes, our towing rigs, and even our dogs, I think it might be time to share some information about ourselves.

I am particularly curious about those of you who are retired and get to travel a lot. I am quite envious, although I have no plans to ever retire. I am a chiropractor in full-time practice which means a commitment of 60 to 70 hours per week including non patient contact office and professional responsibilities. I lust for pulling my airstream to points west and high altitudes for blue sky viewing and relaxation.

I see that many of you attend rallies and other sociable get-togethers. Someone needs to convince me that I would enjoy that. Being around people all day long, I feel the need for some solitude.

Well you now have my psychological profile. Let's hear from you other uninhibited airstreamers.

Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 PM   #68
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Well ...

I'm retired now for 11 years, with a younger wife still working. That means that I spend a lot of time alone, both travelling and here at home.

I attend WBCCI rallys and also popup and TrailManor rallys from my previous SOB trailers where I have made a lot o friends. I find that the rallys provide plenty of free time so that I get in a lot of hiking and other solirtary activities. Usually, the rallys leave at least half the day unscheduled and most times more.

It's easy to just duck rally activities that are of no interest. for instance, I'm not a game player so I duck most of the evening get-togethers where the others are playing cards or board games. I just watch a DVD, TV, work on the computer, or read.

When not attending rallys, I attend music festivals and hit the Texas state parks a lot, mostly by myself.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:51 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
(guys- I hope you agree with the merger of these threads. I read the posts and they all seem to flow in the same direction.)

As for me- I am 53, now working in the public schools again, after a 20 yr break. I taught school in the 70's, then had a recording and performing music career in the 80's ( on the road mostly), then spent some of the 90's in the automobile biz, and recovering from the 80's.
I am now in my fifth year back in the education environment, where I teach and run the technology gear for an elementary school. My job is a lot of fun, and gives me the freedom to travel on breaks in my Airstream. My wife also teaches, and our kids are in the same school sysytem so it works out well.
We love visiting the state parks, and trying new campgrounds in neighboring states.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
here goes

I am John. I am 60 yrs and stillworking sigh!
I am a Database analyst with a small consulting firm
I have a 30 something daughter teaching high school two grandsons 6and 4 1/2.
I also have a 13 yr old son. I noticed the comments about math and the different careers and also military service. yes, I can say say Yankee Station. three cruises to that part of the world starting in summer '64.
this got me to thinkinng about my son in the fourth grade. he had an opptunity to create a story and did so very well. He had everyones attention. when I arrived to take him to a doctors appointment I was greeted with alot of well wishes and pats on the arm and so forth. while I was at the office I asked what all this was about. Nathan had told them of the barn that burned and his horse that didn't make it out. this woman who worked in the office was teary eyed when she explained the story she heard.I had to explain that we did not have a barn or a horse and there was no fire. He was so convincing that in thinking about a career for Nathan naturally RV saleman comes to mind in stead of "bio-med".
Old 12-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
My name is Joe Hall. I am approaching age 54. My hobbies include camping, hunting and fishing. I am the Washington, D.C.-based government relations director for a large Florida company. I commute weekly to south Georgia, where my wife and son reside on her family's large farm. Prior to this life I was an Army Chief Warrant Officer, retiring from active duty in 1988. The highlight of that career was 444 days as a "guest" of the late Ayatollah Khomeini. I was raised in Oregon and grew up camping; first in a two-man tent, where we could hike up above the tree line for living as basic as it gets; graduating later to larger tents, and finally to a series of trailers leading up to a motorhome. I got away from camping for a few years due to work, travel, what-have-you. I never lost my interest. After a two-three year hunt, I found a wonderful opportunity to buy an '86 31' Sovereign in almost mint condition. My wife, Sherry, teaches school in Adel, Georgia. She is having more fun working in a decorating theme than I would have ever believed possible. I think we are both in love with the old metal monster and are scheduled for another outing that will include New Year's Eve. I have learned a lot of information from the different Airstream web sites, and feel a debt of gratitude to you oldtime Airstream owners and operators. Thank you.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:43 PM   #72
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Well, here goes...

My name is Brad. My wife, Julie and I purchased our '59 TradeWind in northern CA and brought it home the day before the disasters in NY and Washington DC. We were really excited to get her home but those horrific events set us back for a few days, kind of numb, you know? Once we got started on the seriously-needed restoration, it was Katie bar the door. Stripping off four layers of paint, tearing out old cast iron and copper plumbing, wiring in a 12 volt system, refinishing the original Honduran mahogeny wood, etc. Our first trip, other than to the shop for a new axle with electric brakes to replace the dreaded hydraulic, was to central Michigan to visit relatives. Had an absolutely fabulous time, much better than we ever could have thought.

Now more about us. I am the Facilities/Operations Manager at a post-secondary technical college with over 100,000 sq.ft. of space in 6 different buildings. Currently, I am doing this without any staff. Makes every day very interesting. Julie is the office manager for a staffing service. Before our Airstream, we used to go to the northern Oregon coast almost once a year in the fall because its just so beautiful. We now are making plans for extended weekends around the southwest with our Silver Twinkie.

We plan on attending some of the vintage rallies, maybe a couple a year. Attended the one in Santa Maria and met the nicest people.

I enjoy flyfishing and collecting still-affordable bamboo flyrods and Julie is an avid reader, couple of books a week it seems. Really enjoy this site and other Airstream one as well.

See ya down the road...
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #73
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Well, here goes...

My name is Brad. My wife, Julie and I purchased our '59 TradeWind in northern CA and brought it home the day before the disasters in NY and Washington DC. We were really excited to get her home but those horrific events set us back for a few days, kind of numb, you know? Once we got started on the seriously-needed restoration, it was Katie bar the door. Stripping off four layers of paint, tearing out old cast iron and copper plumbing, wiring in a 12 volt system, refinishing the original Honduran mahogany wood, etc. Our first trip, other than to the shop for a new axle with electric brakes to replace the dreaded hydraulic, was to central Michigan to visit relatives. Had an absolutely fabulous time, much better than we ever could have thought.

Now more about us. I am the Facilities/Operations Manager at a post-secondary technical college with over 100,000 sq.ft. of space in 6 different buildings. Currently, I am doing this without any staff. Makes every day very interseting. Julie is the office manager for a staffing service. Before our Airstream, we used to go to the northern Oregon coast almost once a year in the fall because its just so beautiful. We now are making plans for extended weekends around the southwest.

We plan on attending some of the vintage rallies, maybe a couple a year. Attended the one in Santa Maria and met the nicest people.

I enjoy flyfishing and collecting still-affordable bamboo flyrods and Julie is an avid reader, couple of books a week it seems. Really enjoy this site and other Airstream ones as well.

See ya down the road...
Old 12-03-2002, 07:28 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
I'm Phil and my wife is Lynda. Married 28 years and live in Bellflower, CA, near Long Beach. I'm an Architect and Lynda is a high school English teacher. We're in our VERY early 50's so we have many more years before we can go on really long trips.

We bought the Airstream (75 Overlander) this past summer, after using borrowed or rented RVs over the past 30 years. Vacation days of my youth were spent is a 16' home-made trailer bought 20 years old by my dad for $300 in 1956. Have been vacationing annually at San Clemente State Beach in Orange County, CA since 1956.

Now that the kids are out of the house (Erin, CAL '01; John, U of Redlands '06) we love the freedom to take off for short weekend trips. We're big college football fans, so all we need for a successful weekend vacation is a nearby RV park with cable TV. We'll watch 4 or 5 games on Saturday and generally just relax.

Unlike most of you, I am not "handy" at anything. No woodworking hobbies or anything like that. About all I can fix in my Airstream is a really good batch of spaghetti!

Our dream is to retire to close-to-full-time Airstreaming - We long to attend the International Rallies and Vintage rallies, and go on caravans to Hudson Bay, Mexico, Nova Scotia or Alaska. Probably 5 -10 years away...

We jusy like to relax when we vacation - no tourist activities. We've attended one WBCCI unit rally - it was a nice weekend. We look forward to more.

We also hope to meet some of you, too, somehow, somewhere...
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:04 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Hi:
I'm Gord, I'm 60 and still working because I love my job as a Water Bomber pilot for the Province of Manitoba. I live in Winnipeg and am based at Thompson Manitoba during the fire season. Thompson is north of the 55th parallel. I also live in my 79 31 ft. Airstream all summer which is quite cozy.

I don't mind the boondocks as long as there is 30 amps of power, good running water and a sewer pipe.

When I'm not on standby, I'm out killing fish.

The aircraft I fly is the Canadair CL215 powered by a pair of
Pratt & Whitney R2800s.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:19 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Hey FLYFSHR,, Come on up to Thompson this summer and show me how to Fly Fish.

Lots of Texans in the campground last summer.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:22 PM   #77
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like it might get cold up there, got any cactus?

flyfshr
Old 12-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Who are we?

My name is Kevin, and I am a member of WBCCI, the Free Wheelers, the Vintage Airstream Club, and the Computer Club. I am five years older than my '64 Overlander International. The Overlander was my introduction to camping when it was new and owned by friends of my family. The original owners sold the trailer in 1980 while I was in college, and I lost track of the trailer. In 1995 I decided that I just had to have an Airstream, and after months of searching ran across the coach via a blind classified advertisement in Mendota, Illinois. It was a year later that I learned that this was the same trailer that had introduced me to Airstreaming in 1964.

My parents never cared much for the idea of camping, but did give it a try in 1969 when they purchased a truck camper. It was a 1969 Chevrolet C20 pickup with an 8.5' SunWay cabover camper. The SunWay never remotely compared to camping in an Airstream. With student teaching looming in my immediate future, I needed a place to live for a few months, and purchased a 1980 Nomad to tow behind my '65 Dodge. The Nomad was a disappointment, and I sold it after less than three years in 1983 - - it would be twelve years before I was ready to return to camping.

My non-camping years were spent getting my career underway. My teaching specialty is Business Education, and for a time I was an Educational Technology Coordinator. My career has taken me through teaching Typewriting on manual and electric typewriters to Keyboarding taught on Radio Shack TRS 80 Model III and IV computers - - then to Apple II/II+/IIe/IIgs - - followed by IBM Personal Computers (8086/8088/80286/80386/80486/Pentium). My current textbook even supports instruction utilzing voice recognition equipment if the school has the resources to provide such devices and software.

Teaching has taken me to three states and a number of different communities in Rooks and Osborne counties in Kansas, Grant county in Wisconsin, and Alexander and Mercer counties in Illinois. As a teacher in an agricultural area, we still have a 10 to 12 week Summer Break which allows me the freedom to travel extensively in either my Airstream or Argosy.

Caravanning and rallys are two of my favorite summer activities - - especially when a Vintage Open House is involved - you will always find
"The Long, Long Trailer" playing in my VCR during the Vintage Open House. My Chihuahua traveling companions will welcome visitors even without the 2-kibble toll that they get from some visitors.

As a Free Wheeler with no siblings and very few relatives, traveling becomes the focus of my leisure time. The friendships that I have developed through Airstreaming have helped me to feel like I have a giant extended family. There are many times that I wish it were possible to thank my trailer's original owners for introducing me to Airstreaming 38 years ago - - unfortunately, they both passed on less than 10 years after selling the Airstream in 1980.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:15 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

who we are...

Hello. I'm Debi from Maryland, very close to the VA and WVA borders. I'm (gasp) early forties, originally from the Washington Metropolitan area and still commute there to various jobsites as a union commercial electrician.
Went cross country a coupla' years back and camped in bear country in a tent and popup and aside from being wide eyed scared spitless each night I had a blast. But that adventure assured me that purchasing a travel trailer was on the agenda. Had AS envy since first site and basically bought the first one I looked at (instant gratification era). Aged ten years towing it back down the Penn. Turnpike and another month backing it into the driveway.
It's a '74 overlander landyacht international and when my parents come to visit they won't sleep anywhere else!
No military service- just an ex-brat. My father was 10 navy-10 air force and 18 NSA/Pentagon.
While reading these posts I am truly amazed at the accomplishments in your lives and thinking to myself I had better get my butt in gear!
Have fun and be safe- and please buy American/Union!!
Debi
MsLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hi Team....
Was in the technical side and worked in office products, copiers, banking, and then a supervisor in the Printing Systems Division. Retired at 50, a couple years ago.

My interests in the past have been car oriented. Rallying, Drag racing, and custom car building. I owned and drag raced a 1969, 427 Corvette and a 1970, 360 AMX 4 speed. I then went on and built up many custom cars. My favourite was a 1975 AMC Pacer. Yes, the infamous bubble car. I saw great design potential in the Pacer and went to work creating an "exotic sports car".

I am used to people telling me I can't do something. When that happens I get to work and do it.

My interest now is smaller, high tech power plants thus our Quest as a tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacerforum.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1302