Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Which vehicle to choose

Thanks to all of the comments and info on this site I am now convinced that the light duty trucks like the F 150, GMC Sierra 1500 and Dodge RAM 1500 could tow my soon to be FC28 RB AS but I will be pushing the limits on payload and tongue weight and possibly compromise on safety. So, I am now looking at the F 250, GMC 2500 and Dodge RAM 2500 despite that they won’t fit in my garage and they aren’t the most pleasing around town vehicles to drive. I do want a gas engine. I don’t have any brand loyalty but I do get a significant discount on the GMC products because I do have family that worked for GM. I am open to any suggestions on which one to buy, what towing related options I should get, and anything else that I should consider on any of these vehicles. Thank you in advance. This is my first post so I hope I placed it in the correct topic.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy3393 View Post
Thanks to all of the comments and info on this site I am now convinced that the light duty trucks like the F 150, GMC Sierra 1500 and Dodge RAM 1500 could tow my soon to be FC28 RB AS but I will be pushing the limits on payload and tongue weight and possibly compromise on safety. So, I am now looking at the F 250, GMC 2500 and Dodge RAM 2500 despite that they won’t fit in my garage and they aren’t the most pleasing around town vehicles to drive. I do want a gas engine. I don’t have any brand loyalty but I do get a significant discount on the GMC products because I do have family that worked for GM. I am open to any suggestions on which one to buy, what towing related options I should get, and anything else that I should consider on any of these vehicles. Thank you in advance. This is my first post so I hope I placed it in the correct topic.
I have a F250 with the new gas 7.3L and I love it. I think you'd likely be happy with any of those trucks.

One thing I recommend. I installed rear shackles from https://www.sulastic.com/ on my F250 and it now rides better than my F150 did around town and unloaded. It also helps some when towing. There is a good video on their webpage.

I see your profile says you're in Austin. I ordered them on the internet and had Pickup Heaven on IH35 install them. They did the install for $150. I found out about these on the Ford Enthusiast forum but they make them for many makes/models of trucks and SUVs. I highly recommend.
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
I currently have a 2019 RAM 2500 Limited with Turbo Diesel. I love it!! I’ve had a F250 King Ranch, Toyota Tundra & RAM 1500 Longhorn. The 2500 is my favorite by far. It’s a tank that drives like a cloud - highly recommend it.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
I'm looking at a new truck. We have an OLD 2010 Toyota Tundra. Considering waiting until next year when a redesign is coming out. Our Toyota has been really comfortable and drives pretty well.
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
GM is the only HD truck maker with independent front suspension. When you're running around town, this makes a much better driving experience than you'll get on the Ford or Ram.

The top trims in the Ram lineup have absolutely the best interior, which makes for a much better driving experience than you'll get in the Ford or GMC/Chevy.

You can't really go wrong with any of your choices, so it comes down to what you value most: Drivability, Comfort, or something else.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
GMC guy here. I'm on my second GMC truck. No complaints or issues.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Which vehicle to choose

While I like the Rams, they all have their strengths and weaknesses (and no one’s giving them away). I’d go for the “significant discount”.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
After 3weeks in CO, I have huge respect for my RAM 2500 Diesel. It’s a tow vehicle that rides comfortably while adding a safety layer when towing our 28 ft Int.

I value that far more than how easy it is to parallel park.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
After 3weeks in CO, I have huge respect for my RAM 2500 Diesel. It’s a tow vehicle that rides comfortably while adding a safety layer when towing our 28 ft Int.

I value that far more than how easy it is to parallel park.
�� I Parrallel Parked my F350 in downtown Marion, NC yesterday. All the cameras help a lot. But I agree the HD Trucks are not the easiest to commute in.

I love my F350 Diesel, but if there was a huge discount available I’d be tempted by the GMC instead.

I’m not familiar with the GM packages, but get the 360 deg view cameras if available. Helps tremendously when parking these beasts!

Also, the 2500 gasser will provide a really good payload. But In case you Get tempted by the diesel, go with a 1 ton truck (3500 or F350) to make up for the increased weight of the Diesel engine.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I traded in my 3-yr old 2500 for a new 3500 and am glad that I did it. I don't understand why 3500s aren't more popular towing ASs. A 3500 is only a few $100 more than a comparable 2500, and in my and many others' experience, it is a significantly better truck for towing. At least I know I won't be going back to a 2500 anytime soon.

During that trade-in period, I drove a GMC 3500 Denali and was quite impressed with it. The reasons I went with a Ram 3500 were:

1. Ramboxes.
2. I wanted a white truck, and a white GMC was unavailable.
3. Ramboxes.
4. The Ram dealer gave me $5,000 more in trade-in value.
5. Ramboxes.

Have I mentioned how much I like and how convenient Ramboxes are for towing an AS?
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My brother has back problems and for him it requires sitting in each for at least 20 minutes to see how it affects his back. Comfort is a huge factor you should consider in a vehicle you will drive/ride in for 5-12 hours on some days.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Hey Pappy3393 I don't have advice on truck size, but I also get the GM discounts but when my GM got blown away with a tornado and I was shopping around Ford gave me all kinds of incentives that totaled up to more than gm discount. So shop around and get what you like.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Which vehicle to choose

All three major brands of 2500 and 3500 series trucks in the US offer mostly great vehicles. All have their quirks, sweet spots, and PITA factors. I would be highly tempted to go for your clan loyalty discount and use the savings to pay for options and accessories. My happy things:
* the best camera system with the best view - you decide which is best by trying the options
* Max Tow package - you want the best engine coolant system, the best oil cooling system, the best transmission cooling system you can get. More and more efficient is better. The aftermarket has the best units, but factory warranty arguments are never fun.

* Get a big engine. All three manufacturers have decent smaller engines, but when you are towing uphill or braking downhill, there is no replacement for displacement
* I always want a 4WD option. Wet grass and a hill with a tow are common even if snow and ice aren't. It is a weight penalty but well worth it. It weighs less than the difference between the diesel you aren't getting and the big block gas motor you should get.
* I really like a differential lock for the back axle and a limited slip for the front. These become even more useful if you pass on the 4WD
* Factory towing mirrors with power in and out, heat, power adjustment from the driver's position can do wonders for driving safety and are worth whatever you have to pay for them in reduced stress and arguments between you and the SO who would otherwise be outside "helping" adjust the mirrors and getting more than a little unhappy with rain and too many short tempered instructions.
* Seat comfort choices are critical for long hauls.

I hope you have fun. Take your time and
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I’ve been using my GMC to run errands daily. You will get used to the stiffer ride. I don’t even notice now. My truck is 12 years old with 205K on the odometer. In the past two months a few gremlins have reared their ugly heads. Nothing serious but four trips to the shop have cost about two thousand. The Duramax/Allison is bulletproof. This truck has given me the least trouble of any truck I have owned.
Any truck from the big three is a good choice.
Never push the limits of your tow vehicle. You will not be happy with the results
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I’m still shopping and it’s a bit difficult because the truck inventories are low and production of new trucks are just starting to come online (damn you COVID). I am having issues finding the configuration that I want so that I can get a better idea of what the actual payload and tongue weight capacities are (From the stickers on the truck vs what the manufacturer says) and how they drive. So far, I have driven mostly diesels with luxury packages above what I want. I have no problem ordering a truck and waiting for it because I am waiting on my AS as well. I am impressed with the performance of the Diesel engines but I still don’t want to pay the extra $’s upfront, lose payload capacity (because of the weight) and Have higher maintenance costs. I will use the GM family discount that I get as leverage when dealing with Ford and Dodge. I built and priced the ideal options that I want from each brand and they are all very close in sticker price. I was surprised how much heavier a Diesel engine is and that cuts the payload significantly. I would agree with a previous post that if I went with a diesel I would go to the 3500 or 350 series.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Treasure Island , Florida
I had the same concern about the F150 not being able to pull, and the F250 staying in the driveway baking (Florida). I settled for a F150 Turbo Diesel. Super quiet. Did a 1450 mile trip crossing the Appalaches and averaged 19.2 MPG @ 65 MPH pulling a 28' Airstream trailer, and almost 30 MPG on freeway with no tow vehicle. Rated to pull 11400 lbs. Awesome truck and it fit in our garage!
danyfr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
The F 150 has plenty of towing capacity but the issue for us is payload capacity on the vehicle. With a diesel, the payload capacity is even less than a gas engine because of the weight difference. On occasion, we will be traveling with 4 adults and 2 kids and with the 899 lbs tongue weight of a FC 28RB we would exceed the payload capacity without any gear in the truck. Have you checked your payload weight with people, gear and the AS attached? I’d be willing to guess that you may have exceeded your payload and possibly your hitch weight capacity.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I’m still shopping and it’s a bit difficult because the truck inventories are low and production of new trucks are just starting to come online (damn you COVID). I am having issues finding the configuration that I want so that I can get a better idea of what the actual payload and tongue weight capacities are (From the stickers on the truck vs what the manufacturer says) and how they drive. So far, I have driven mostly diesels with luxury packages above what I want. I have no problem ordering a truck and waiting for it because I am waiting on my AS as well. I am impressed with the performance of the Diesel engines but I still don’t want to pay the extra $’s upfront, lose payload capacity (because of the weight) and Have higher maintenance costs. I will use the GM family discount that I get as leverage when dealing with Ford and Dodge. I built and priced the ideal options that I want from each brand and they are all very close in sticker price. I was surprised how much heavier a Diesel engine is and that cuts the payload significantly. I would agree with a previous post that if I went with a diesel I would go to the 3500 or 350 series.
Some of your comments are a bit dated, especially on the GM front.

With the Chevy/GMC twins, GM increased GVWR for the Duramax variants, which makes the diesel payload penalty mostly disappear.

In addition, even a fully-loaded 2500HD now comes with > 3300lbs. payload capacity. The 3500HD has another 600lbs more.

This means that you can get a Duramax with similar payload to the gasoline variant. And it also means you most likely would never need to pay the extra $1000 or so for the 3500HD upgrade.

With my 2020 3500HD AT4, I built it with every option except the 5th wheel prep. I have just under 4000lbs. payload. If I had known this at the time of order, I would most likely have went with the 2500HD instead.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #19
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have an F-150 heavy duty 2013. We find that the F-150 is a fantastic daily drive car very economical to to use. Came with complete towing package heavy duty payload fantastic truck with the new f-150s aluminum body the payload package is even greater than what we have it'll pull well over 11,000 lb I would suggest that you reconsider your choice of a f250 and look at an F-150 heavy duty with Max tow.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

Quote:
We also run with GM...2006 Burb 2500 8.1L. 'The last towing Burb'
The new GM gas engines are very capable and coupled with the new 10speed transmissions make a nice towing combo. Optioned properly they are very capable. The independent torsion bar frt suspension adds a lot to comfort and handling. I would make sure the truck is equipped with LT tires, all the new Suburbans I've checked out have outsized, 22" low profile passenger tires.

Sweet Streams & "Stay Weird."

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	276A937E-7EA5-4664-99FB-99867CCF8073_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	381637