Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
thanks Elizabeth and winds and heavy seas

It's great to know it can be done and that Zip Dee is so accommodating.

When we were coming home from Yellowstone in September one of the places we stayed had a wind come up out of nowhere and everyone went running to their campers and the one awning blew up in the air, it only was windy for several minutes at most. And when we were visiting Arches in Utah the trailer next to ours lost their awning and did damage. Our first pop-up awning filled with water and collapsed the pole and the rafter pole went crashing into the door and we had to replace the door. And another time when I setup the fold-down (I should call it) my husband came home and asked me why I put the camper in the middle of the yard, I said I didn't and looked out the window--there it was, the wind blew it like a sail. So now that we no longer have the screen room we have closed the awning most everytime we aren't under it just in case.

Those poor dogs! Glad it all worked out for you though. I am surprised to hear the Airstream left the ground! Oh, dear. The next wind storm I'll be thinking of this. Batten down the hatches and I may just go below deck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedars
We bought the soar shade last fall, had it installed at zip dee.
The shade attaches with one way snaps across the front of the awning.
While there, I asked for a panel for an end as well. (I only wanted one panel, as I thought it could be moved from one end to the other as needed.) Seems many people ask for that, but the snaps used won't allow the awning to roll up.
Well, golly, gee, I said in my most erudiate manner, how about using double sided velcro, and hanging it off the arm? That's what I really had in mind.
Turns out they had some velcro, and they made me one! The slant matches the angle of the arm, so the bottom of it hangs level.
So the end piece of solar screen has sewn on two sided velcro to wrap around the arm. It folds flat, and I store it in the gaucho drawers.
I think it was well worth the cost, and does help extend the patio by keeping light rain at bay.
And the solar panels came about in a strange (for an American business) way .... we had committed the cardinal sin of leaving the awning fully extended when we left to eat. While gone, a nasty storm blew in. It trashed our awning, and several more. With friends leaving their dogs with us, we had six, standard poodle, show dogs in the trailer... were they all ever glad to see us return... there had been enough lift generated at some point to lift the trailer and slam it back down, breaking one of the stab jacks....anyhow, we planned on replacing our awning, as our insurance company said it was shot. Once at Zip Dee, they said, Naw, it ain't shot, we repair these! Shock! Shock! So the money we had for the new awning instead went for the solar screen and awnings all around! We also had the center support rod installed, and they updated all hardware at no charge!
Nice peoople to do busines with, where the bottom line is quality product and satisfied customers.
If you call zip dee for solar screens, ask for Linda, and remind her they made me with velcro to hang on an arm.

Elizabeth in Iowa

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Daer NDS:
We used to have one on our previous TT and Popup. They are great addition and give you much needed useful space outside of AS. They are specially handy if you have small children. A safe place for them to play. Actually, I am looking for one right now. Maybe a used one.
Cheers
Danesh
Old 04-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Talking Peta

I am a member of PETA and love the Cabela's Catalog.
PETA...that means People Eating Tasty Animals....heheee......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
The link worked for me. Cabelas is a great store to visit unless you are a member of PETA. Just cruising the parking lot alone can sometiimes be a shortcut to researching what you may want in SUVs and pickup trucks.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote