Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #61
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Thank you, I can sleep tonight.

Theo
Old 01-22-2004, 04:46 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Pick -- Lower 'ur flag to half staff

Travel Channel tonite --

World's Richest Penthouses -- "When a suite at a five-star hotel starts feeling like a roadside motel, it's time to move up to a penthouse. Luxuriate in penthouses around the world designed to fulfill the most outrageous demands of finicky millionaires."

More Billionaire Toys -- "Find out what kind of gift to give the billionaire who has two of everything. Unwrap some of the most incredible toys bought by people who really know how to spoil themselves."

Outrageous Millionaire Services -- "Find out just how much a billionaire will pay for service. Meet the people and places that serve the rich and discover how far they will go to make their clients happy."

Do you believe they can do all of this without Airstreams??? Inflation and the GATT agreements led me to believe I would ascend to heaven in alu-minium. Dang!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
While purchasing the fabric this afternoon for all the curtains in my trailer, the nice lady that was counting out all the yards asked me what I was going to do with this fabric. I told her I was going to fabricate curtains for my Vintage "Airstream" travel trailer. Her eyes lit up when she said, "Aren't those the silver ones? They are so nice."

Of course, that made my day!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
poor peoples...

As a child I always thought that airstreams were poor peoples trailers. Couldn't afford a paint job...you know, throught a childs' eyes.

I did learn early on that they were the easiest trailers to pull.

Very true. but glad to have a rich man's poor person trailer of my own....
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Re: poor peoples...

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
As a child I always thought that airstreams were poor peoples trailers. Couldn't afford a paint job...you know, throught a childs' eyes.
That's funny...for me as a child I was in awe of the rare sighting of an Airstream. It looked like a space ship and was the "bossest" thing around. And I never lost that awe...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:06 PM   #66
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They still make those, right?

I am not sure if this is dumb, or what, exactly it is.
Today I went to get a water pump for our Argosy, and the conversation at the counter went something like this:
"Argosy? What year?"
"1972"
"Wow, that is an old one. They still make those, right?"
"Umm, no, Airstream quit making them several years ago."
"That is too bad. They shouldn't have stopped building Airstreams, either. Those things were cool!"
This was from an employee of the CW!

If you need me, I will be hiding in the corner, drooling and wimpering...
Terry
Old 01-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #67
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We stopped in a CW looking for some parts for our RM100 OEM refrigerator. I needed a door retainer, and wanted to get some shelf parts.

I could not find them in the aisles so I asked the parts guy if it was a non retail part. He asked the model, when I told him he said "you might as well replace the whole thing as it is going to die any way and you can't get parts". With that mentality I might as well never buy anything I want to keep for more that a few years! I said thanks, but no thanks, and found the part at a bone yard. As far as I know the refer is still working fine.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I bought my Argosy last fall but couldn't pick it up until early January. The Atlantic seaboard owner didn't fully understand severe weather winterizing (I walked the dogs tonite because it felt so nice at 4-above). I had an Airstream (and SOB) dealer in that area winterize it quickly before I brought it back to Minnesota. The service desk person hadn't seen the distinctive contours yet. When I told them it was an Argosy they asked, "Who makes that?" They were savvy enough not to react when I told them it was an Airstream brand.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv

I did learn early on that they were the easiest trailers to pull.

Very true. but glad to have a rich man's poor person trailer of my own....
That made me smile when I read it.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
When we first were talking about getting an Airstream, we noticed right away that most people went..."uh...'kaaay..." and gave us this whatever sort of look. About one out of ten told us how cool they are and how much they want one. Now that we have it in the driveway we still get the same ratio of the same reactions. Part of me thinks it's because it's dirty and needs work, but when I tell myself how they'll finally understand when it's done, deep down I know if they don't understand the idea of fixing up something, they never will, whether it's Airstreams, Harleys, VW bugs, old houses, or anything at all.

I do wish people would stop giving me this curled upper lip attitude about it that I sometimes get (not often thank goodness). I couldn't stand to do scrapbooking or knitting, but I can completely understand a passion for something and I would never crap all over someone else's hobby no matter what it is.

I noticed that it is usually people who don't get out much. They're into video games and TV a lot, and are very much in a sedentary routine. I guess I just don't get *that*. Everyone has their inside moods, but some people literally go to a cabin in the snow and never go outside and play. Can't you do that at home?

And...limiting the age of trailers in your RV park? Can they DO that?? Do they do that?? I'm really surprised.

OK done with my rant.

i.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
And...limiting the age of trailers in your RV park? Can they DO that?? Do they do that?? I'm really surprised.

OK done with my rant.

i.
Yes, unfortunately, they do. Not only will they discriminate on age, but length as well, and even type. Before we bought our Airstream, we had a then-top of the line pop-up camper. Many parks would simply not allow them because they felt that they somehow degraded the atmosphere of the park and were otherwise unsightly. Now that we have something that would be allowed, don't think we would consider staying there, even if they were the only game in town (which, they aren't).

Not everyone starts at the top. Too bad they can't understand that.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dave, you make me smile. I think we all are AT the top, whatever AS or Argosy we are pulling. This is our choice, our specially chosen choice, over all the other brands and their high style, "top-of-the-line" offerings. It doesn't matter how much cash we could toss around, we just intuitively know, and it seems lots of people out there are in the dark. (Should we send "them" this Forum address for "education"?) "They" may miss our business, but I don't think that we'll miss them
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #73

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What I don't understand is this trend I see in our country to segregate ourselves to just those we want to have around. Doesn't anyone rejoice in the diversity of life? When you travel and meet different people in different rigs it gives you something to talk about. Something to think about. I don't understand why people want to insulate themselves from life so they don't have to look out their windows and see something they might not like. Especially since the rules only eliminate people with the broadest strokes - what kind of rig you drive, how long it is - it just doesn't make any sense. Are their really people out there so sensitive that they would be offended to look out the windows of their skyscraper motorhome and see a couple kids pull up towing a nice Airstream?

Oh well, just remember, no matter how fancy they think they are, their black tank don't smell any sweeter than ours

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
What I don't understand is this trend I see in our country to segregate ourselves to just those we want to have around. Doesn't anyone rejoice in the diversity of life? When you travel and meet different people in different rigs it gives you something to talk about. Something to think about. I don't understand why people want to insulate themselves from life so they don't have to look out their windows and see something they might not like. Especially since the rules only eliminate people with the broadest strokes - what kind of rig you drive, how long it is - it just doesn't make any sense. Are their really people out there so sensitive that they would be offended to look out the windows of their skyscraper motorhome and see a couple kids pull up towing a nice Airstream?

Oh well, just remember, no matter how fancy they think they are, their black tank don't smell any sweeter than ours
My wife and I along with our daughter met some really nice people as the result of finding them on another A/S forum; a man and his wife and one single man. As it turns out the single man was the P.O. of an A/S. He asked if he could come along anyway and we obliged to his request with a friendly yes. We had a wonderful get together and this past fall, my wife and I met them again at the same park. The single guy was in a fifth wheel and the other couple had an Argosy. (I think they may even be members of this forum but don’t get on here any or very little.) Anyway, after talking about this forum on our last visit; and mentioning that we use the term S.O.B., when referring to other campers; we noticed somewhat of a hesitant expression come over some of their faces. We then explained that S.O.B. stood for “Some Other Brand” and the tension of using that acronym was relieved. We all had plenty of fun with that acronym that week end.

Before we left to return home, we noticed that we were the S.O.B.’s that week end. Taking inventory of the type of trailers and MH’s around us we were definitely out classed, as a matter of fact we kind of stood out just a little; so to speak.

So, Stef, I would have to agree with you on that one!

It’s all about getting out and enjoying the great outdoors, sitting around a campfire with a hot-dog on a stick or roasting a marsh-mellow or two, swapping stories, getting acquainted with people and making new friends! Wow, what a great country we really live in!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

The thread that won't die

This is a funny thread, isn't it? Can pick it up over a year from when it began, (and it's still interesting.OK, well, my husband used to talk about Airstreams a bit because his uncle had one. I just didn't get it, although I was interested in camping. Kind of "that would be nice, but it'll never happen." Then in recent years, he found ads on the Internet, and really recently, he found classifieds. Well, that started to look feasible. He kept talking about how well they were made. We even tacked up a photo to keep the dream alive through bouts of sickness, and then parents' illness.When we shared the idea with a friend a number of years ago, he said he just couldn't see us enjoying being in an rv park with someone right next to us.Recently, when we told a neighbor we wanted to buy an Airstream, he said he thought they were ugly. Well, I used to think they were homely, so they can grow on you, obviously. I started to tell him how well they were made, and what percentage were still on the road. The next time I saw him, he said he liked the way they looked!
A couple of weeks ago, we stopped at a nearby Wal-Mart to run an errand while taking the trailer to have brakes looked at. There was an SOB already in the parking lot. The greeter was outside by the time we got to the door. Told my husband he really liked our rv, and where were we from? Sorry to have to tell him we were local. Then, as I came out the door, and saw the 2 rvs together, what a comparison! A/S looked very trim and even diminutive compared to 5th wheeler. I still, at times, think it looks a bit old-fashioned, but I am so looking forward to using it. And people we've had contact with so far have been so welcoming. And it almost matches my hair!

(Edited to correct error in first paragraph)
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .looked very trim and even diminutive compared to 5th wheeler. I still, at times, think it looks a bit old-fashioned. . ." Interesting that you make this comparison. It's exactly what Max and I notice when we are parked among the SOB's. We have this comfort, easy towing, roominess, great lines, low profile, charm, yet we look like a mini among all the talls and wides and BIGs! We are a little old fashioned, but in the nicest way! This reflects our thinking about so many things. For example (and I don't want to offend anyone with different tastes here! I just see a connection between what we want in our AS and what we want in our home.) we anticipate changing our home within the next year as we retire. Looking at new homes, we are taken aback by what seems to us a useless waste of space, huge windows looking out on another home with huge windows, multiplicity of baths, and so on. So much seems so overdone, purposelessly. I want a home like my AS-lovely, classic, endlessly interesting to look at and putter with, one that has only the essentials but with charm and appeal. We've been looking for awhile. We found our AS. I hope we'll find a home that meets her standards I really don't know why I've rambled on about this. Just sharing my thoughts.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:13 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Comments

Just had one more thing to say about comments. This same neighbor (mentioned above), kept insisting "you'll never use it; you'll never use it." And actually, so did my husband when I was encouraging him to buy it this year instead of waiting until next year (or never). My reply: well, even if we never do get to take it on the road, I can still sit in it and enjoy it: for afternoon tea, a quiet place to read or even take a nap. For someone who's done bicycle/tent camping in the cold and rain, in mountainous terrain (and loved it!), to sleep under a roof is practically decadent luxury! Actually, I'm one of those people who used to say about rv'ers: "well, that's not really camping. They've got all the conveniences." And now I are one!!! (Well, almost, as soon as we finish taking it apart and putting it back together!)

By the way, found out later from the neighbor's daughter that this neighbor has been wanting to buy an rv, and his family keeps telling him: "you'll never use it; you'll never use it." Why? Apparently wife requires deluxe accommodations (not interested in camping!). Sheds a lot of light on that whole encounter . . .!

Edited to add last paragraph.
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #78

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My husband said we'd never use it, because he also prefers delux accomodations (that would be the Best Western). But now he thinks the Caravel IS delux accomodations. He's the one planning trips for next year!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I've never looked at owning an Airstream as an elitist thing. I just knew they were good quality, last forever and look cool. I was surprised that with 15 year financing, even I could afford one!

When we traded in our 2 year old SOB this year for the AS, I was shocked that it had depreciated over 50%. I know that doesn't happen to Airstreams. So I feel confident that when I finish paying the loan off in 15 years, I'll still have something that's worth something!

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Yessir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I've never looked at owning an Airstream as an elitist thing. I just knew they were good quality, last forever and look cool.

Same here. I've always been in love with the look, the timeless style, and the Airstream mystique, but I also knew I wanted something built to last a long time, and, evidenced by so many beautiful vintage units on this forum, can be made new time and again.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote