Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question What Model 1958 22 footer?

I just picked up a 1958 22 footer. The s/n 22-8562. I'm trying to find out what model it is. The trailer's exterior has been damaged and I'm trying to find out what trailer originally looked like it to at least return the exterior to original condition. Thanks for all your help.
crgintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
crgintx,
Welcome to the board! Here is a link to the best information that I know of, even has pictuesVintage Airstreams According to this site they made 4 different 22 footers in 1958. Good luck with the renovations.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
From the S/N number you posted I think you may well have a CA Built Caravanner.

Barring this being a "Custom" coach I'm betting Caravanner. A custom is just that.... a special order.... so not common but it could be bassed off any of the models with some inteerior changes. It could be a Caravanner with a Dinnette instead of the normal Goucho. Caravanner is about the only thing it could be from the info on Vintage reguading the SN#. The FC ran up to SN# 8500. and no listing indicating a Safari was available in 57 and 58.

The Caravanner was known for it's three large end to end windows on the streetside (see my avaitar on the left). Some have a 4th window under the leading window. That's going to be the dead giveawa it's a caravanner. The Safari, as far as I can tell never had that 4th window.

The floor plans for the Caravanner were all very consitant with Street side galley with full bed in rear and curbside Reefer and wardrobe with rear corner wet bath. It's the only 22ft built those years like that.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Thanks, 59 Toaster. I think it might be a Custom. It has street side galley but a full rear bath. There is only 1 curbside window. The fridge or waterheater vent is also on the curbside. It has curbside wardrobe behind the furnace. Everthing forward of the door has been been removed prior to my ownership. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Big window like this?

That's a flying Cloud but Vintage airstream shows the s/n run to be below 8500 for that model. Now that info may well be wrong. The Reefer is right behind the Heater then the wardrobe on the above model and rear bath.

Some Flying clouds had more windows on that side and a different bath on the street side even the same year. It appears it was a difference between the CA and the OH plants.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...8FC/58FC1.html

Most airstreams the model badge would be becide the door A custom was usualy directly above or below the SN badge. Any rivet holes there? Where is the SN badge?

The above coach in the link does not show a badge that I can see. I have seen pictures of Flying clouds with a very nice script name badge at an angle instead of the SN badge sized plaque..
Old 01-23-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy

Toaster, the window is small with 2 equal sized panes. The wardrobe looks original. The sn plate reads 22-8562 made in Ca. There is a plate that says Airstream Land Yacht in front of the window. There's an International Badge above the front escape.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
With the plaque showing Wally and the script "Land Yacht", that should make the model year a very late 1959 or a 1960. Those were the only years that had that insignia. In 1959, there were 5 22' models made with the World Traveler being the only one with dual axles, so we can rule that one out right away. The '59 Safari shown in the archives has been personally inspected by me and I doubt its a Safari. The Falcons were only made in Ohio, so that one's out too. I'm in agreement with 59toaster, it has to be a Caravanner. Is the single window on the curbside in the rear or in front of the entryway? I've found in the late 50s and early 60s trailers, if there are windows in front of the door, there was almost in every case a couch instead of a dinette. Of course, with all inquiries, photos would really help identify this trailer. Is there a date stamp on the ID tag?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yeah I think it's time for a picture if possible. Exterior and interior so we can see the floor plan.
The rear full width bath and single Curbside says Safari or something custom. All Carravanners had 3 windows curbside and Curbside bath in the rear. The windows were Two stacked to the right of the door and one over the vanity just before the end cap starts.

I think the Vin still says 58 production It may be late 58 so acctually a 59 model The 59's listed on Vintage are all showing 22 9xxx The windows would be a give away. 59 was the first year for the Hehr 1009 style without a divided light.

If it's a cutom it may be the only one like it in existance.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Cool

Toaster and Friends, thanks for all the info. Right now there is only 1 streetside window above the galley's single basin sink. the Curbside window is split design. Everthing o.e.m. forward of the galley was removed. The o.e.m. fridge and water heater are gone,too. It might have had 2 more window streetside but that's where the repair job was botched together. I'll try to get some pic's to you guys.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
crgintx: I'm 17 miles south of Omaha and have a gutted 22' 1958 Caravanner. You are welcome to the gas frig. Looks good but do not know if operable. You may also want the toilet, hot water heater, vanity cabinet and sink ( no lid) and bulkheads. Mattress too - is a double from the rear roadside - very very heavy and lumpy
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags