Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #6101
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
After almost 4 years with a perforated vinyl wrap made from one of our pictures of Half Dome in Yosemite, we decided it was time for a change. This time we opted for a Yosemite Valley photo, with El Cap to the far left, Half Dome in the distance, and Bridal Veil Falls towards center. My wife and I were married in Yosemite, and got hooked on hiking there, so it is a special place for us, as it is for so many.
Joe
Attachment 344312

Excellent

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #6102
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Bought the 2017 Bambi last week, got a replacement LifeLine deep cycle battery and small part for the freezer door inside the fridge. Cleaned it out and moved all camping stuff in Bambi - took me and wife 2 days to do that. I washed and waxed Bambi as well.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #6103
2 Rivet Member

Apopka , Florida
Quote:
After almost 4 years with a perforated vinyl wrap made from one of our pictures of Half Dome in Yosemite, we decided it was time for a change. This time we opted for a Yosemite Valley photo, with El Cap to the far left, Half Dome in the distance, and Bridal Veil Falls towards center. My wife and I were married in Yosemite, and got hooked on hiking there, so it is a special place for us, as it is for so many.
Joe
Attachment 344312
I was wondering, can you see out through that wrap?
rfequity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #6104
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi rfequity,
Yes, you can see out, but there is a “grid” effect that impacts clarity, and entering light is cut down by maybe 50%. Here is a picture looking out through the wrap, if that helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	610.0 KB
ID:	344353
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #6105
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
My wife and I are so excited about our new upgrades. A friend of ours is a master cabinet maker. We hired him to make a few modifications for us in our 27FB GT Twin Bed. He made our under bed pull out trays into full extension soft close drawers. In addition, added a door to an otherwise unusable space below the curbside bed which we will use to store our manuals. The coolest mod was that he doubled the space in our utensil drawer by adding a full sliding drawer above the current utensil tray. He also added dividers to drawer below the utensil drawer and added flip out storage under our sink. I am waiting for the tab pull to come in to replace the duct tape we have as a temporary measure.

Can’t wait to get back on the road to use it!
He could make a full time living just doing Airstream drawers!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #6106
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
He could make a full time living just doing Airstream drawers!
He's really very good. He used to work for Blume (they make hinges and cabinet hardware). He has been self-employed since he left them. Cabinets and lighting are his thing but he know a lot about everything and is excellent at space utilization. He added retrofitted roll out cabinets for our home so I reached out to him re: the Globetrotter.

I feel there is a market for someone who can efficiently do this where someone doesn't need a full blown re-model.

In full disclosure, he is a friend of mine, and I realize how efficient he is at his craft. I feel he could basically knock out jobs like this every 2 days since he uses the existing cabinet fronts. He has his driveway for the shop set up so 53' 18-wheelers can get in and out. I just took my Globetrotter over to him / parked in his driveway on a Tuesday and picked it up on Sunday. All I wanted was the 4 drawers done. When I went to picked it up on Thursday he had suggestions for the other areas so I just left it with him and he knocked out the other items.

He is 15 minutes from our home in Mooresville, NC and near I-77. If anyone is interested his contact info is;

Marty Yerkins - 704-657-6901

Marte@Kitchenretrofit.com

If you are travelling in the area he is set up with a 15 amp power in the driveway. I would think he could work with you to arrange getting it done in a timely manner.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #6107
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Thank you for sharing his contact info.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #6108
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thank you very much for contact info.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #6109
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Adding a SiriusXM SXV300v1 Satellite Radio Kit to trailer and a Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy SiriusXM Satellite Antenna for camping in the mountains (where it is hard to even receive AM radio ). Both items on Amazon for less than $100.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	siriusxm.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	344453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Satellite Antenna.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	344454  

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #6110
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Adding a SiriusXM SXV300v1 Satellite Radio Kit to trailer and a Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy SiriusXM Satellite Antenna for camping in the mountains (where it is hard to even receive AM radio ). Both items on Amazon for less than $100.
I think that's a great idea! How do you plan to install it? Can you have the same plan for the tow vehicle and trailer?
Looks like the radio needs to have a "sat" input. Does the AS?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #6111
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Joe
Attachment 344312
That is really "cool". I've thought about doing that myself. I like how you kept the image in black and white. Color would have been out of place...big time.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #6112
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
That is really "cool". I've thought about doing that myself. I like how you kept the image in black and white. Color would have been out of place...big time.
My comment is, very nice. My questions are, who made the graphics, and whom installed it. Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #6113
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Mollysdad,

I installed it yesterday. I bought a new Alpine CDE-164BT stereo two years ago that is SiriusXM ready, so it has the proper plug on the back.

The radio is installed in the front upper storage above the couch. Behind the radio is an opening through the roof liner for the wiring. I figured out that I could get to that opening with an electrician's fish tape. I drilled a 3/4" hole a few inches from the radio antenna and fished the RF cable up from the opening behind the radio.

I used the Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy SiriusXM Satellite Antenna because it is designed to be used on boats or RV. I only used the puck and retaining ring parts of the antenna (not the pedestal). It is a nice quality part that seals well to roof.

The pictures show the finished installation.

You can not put the radio on the same plan as the TV. You have to get a SiriusXM subscription specifically for each radio. They had a deal for $60 for one year for most of their channels (and it had news stations which we wanted). Then you have to negotiate with them each year to keep the prices down. That is the DW's job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I think that's a great idea! How do you plan to install it? Can you have the same plan for the tow vehicle and trailer?
Looks like the radio needs to have a "sat" input. Does the AS?
Attached Images

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #6114
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
My comment is, very nice. My questions are, who made the graphics, and whom installed it. Thanks

Hi Tsunami.
We just use hi res photos/panos that we take while hiking, converted to B&W, contrast bumped, and image cropped to the proper aspect ratio. That jpeg file goes to the local sign guy, who also does vinyl wraps, and he prints and installs. He charges us $300. Sign franchises like FastSigns also do wraps and they are pretty easy to find and work with.
Best of luck.
Joe
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #6115
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois

Name:	IMG_0746.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	344579
Old 06-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #6116
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Just ordered Proven Industries lock which will arrive at my home today. Looking forward for peace of mind.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #6117
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Tsunami.
We just use hi res photos/panos that we take while hiking, converted to B&W, contrast bumped, and image cropped to the proper aspect ratio. That jpeg file goes to the local sign guy, who also does vinyl wraps, and he prints and installs. He charges us $300. Sign franchises like FastSigns also do wraps and they are pretty easy to find and work with.
Best of luck.
Joe
Thanks for the details. How durable are they from road rash, bug, and washing?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #6118
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Thanks for the details. How durable are they from road rash, bug, and washing?

I’d say very durable. We never babied ours - lots of direct Florida sun, washing it like the rest of trailer, using bug removal products as needed with no ill effects - and it was looking pretty good 3 years and 8 months after installation. We had some flaking toward the end, and mildew had formed in some of the perforated areas, but no rips, tears or peeling, and very little fading.
Joe
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #6119
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
My order (Proven Industries Lock) arrived at my door today. sigh.... i am at work. My Nest doorbell (no not AS Nest) just filmed the delivery! I will go home in 2 hours and get the package!

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #6120
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
What Did You Get For Your Trailer Today?

DW was slipping in the shower, so I fixed it with one of the teak shower mats. Very nice!

https://store.airstreamlife.com/coll...ak-shower-mats

And some fuel hose at various touch points to protect the frame from the propane cover, with a grommet thrown in to protect the 7-way.

Name:	IMG_9600.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	344740