RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #7081
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
I canít say itís needed, but we like the flexibility of remotely knowing the interior temperature, and being able warm or cool the interior, if itís reading colder in winter or warmer in summer than weíd prefer, using furnace or AC. TETO?
But what's the reason?
The AS is empty and you're 6 hours way.

TETO yourself I still don't get it, even in NY it makes no cents.

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #7082
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
But what's the reason?

The AS is empty and you're 6 hours way.

TETO yourself I still don't get it, even in NY it makes no cents.

Hi Robert.

It may not make sense for you and thatís fine, and I know I lived a long and happy life without a connected thermostat. Maybe it was the Nest thermostats installed at our house that got us used to the conveniences of remote monitoring and control, and we wanted to carry some of those conveniences over to the Airstream.

As I mentioned, weíre back and forth quiet a bit to this site, sometimes a few times a month. In the dog days of summer, while en route there, we can (and do) remotely start the AC to have the unit fully cooled when we arrive - necessary? no; appreciated by the wife, father-in-law and dog? - yes!

And in late fall and early winter, if Iím only going to be away for a week and the forecast looks mild, I may roll the dice and not fully winterize. If Iím wrong and I see a hard freeze in the local forecast, I can remotely turn on the furnace for the coldest periods to get some hot air into the plumbing and tank areas. (Itís true that, with the OEM model, I could set a schedule for the furnace to come on whenever the cabin gets to, say, 45. But then it -always- goes on at 45 - even on nights when the outside temperature wonít come close to freezing.)

All this cost $275 (the cost of the EasyTouch RV Thermostat); I already had an old, functioning but unsalable (badly cracked) iPhone for the hotspot, and my provider let me add a line to my plan that costs nothing additional as long as it doesnít push us over our gig limits (and using a hotspot for this kind of limited connectivity uses very little data, so that hasnít happened).

The system is not perfect though, and if I lose connection and canít recover it or have other problems, our very kind campground host is a half mile away and seems happy to backstop us.

Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #7083
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Hi Robert.

It may not make sense for you and thatís fine, and I know I lived a long and happy life without a connected thermostat. Maybe it was the Nest thermostats installed at our house that got us used to the conveniences of remote monitoring and control, and we wanted to carry some of those conveniences over to the Airstream.

As I mentioned, weíre back and forth quiet a bit to this site, sometimes a few times a month. In the dog days of summer, while en route there, we can (and do) remotely start the AC to have the unit fully cooled when we arrive - necessary? no; appreciated by the wife, father-in-law and dog? - yes!

And in late fall and early winter, if Iím only going to be away for a week and the forecast looks mild, I may roll the dice and not fully winterize. If Iím wrong and I see a hard freeze in the local forecast, I can remotely turn on the furnace for the coldest periods to get some hot air into the plumbing and tank areas. (Itís true that, with the OEM model, I could set a schedule for the furnace to come on whenever the cabin gets to, say, 45. But then it -always- goes on at 45 - even on nights when the outside temperature wonít come close to freezing.)

All this cost $275 (the cost of the EasyTouch RV Thermostat); I already had an old, functioning but unsalable (badly cracked) iPhone for the hotspot, and my provider let me add a line to my plan that costs nothing additional as long as it doesnít push us over our gig limits (and using a hotspot for this kind of limited connectivity uses very little data, so that hasnít happened).

The system is not perfect though, and if I lose connection and canít recover it or have other problems, our very kind campground host is a half mile away and seems happy to backstop us.

Joe
I have thought about this as well. But so far, our lifestyle doesn't justify it. It is definitely a personal thing. Very big benefit if there are pets in play, its hot and you're away for the day.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #7084
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Hi Robert.

Joe
Joe,
Please understand, it's not the thermostat that's the main concern for me. It's the fact that the furnace is running in an empty trailer un-attended.

Bob
🇺🇸

We lost our boat in '16 while in a 'secure' heated storage facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB93A4DF-0E65-4B25-9C56-2CA6D1AD15A2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	386836   Click image for larger version

Name:	78066B13-0647-4F01-98B7-6EA69EF9689B.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	386837  

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #7085
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Joe,

Please understand, it's not the thermostat that's the main concern for me. It's the fact that the furnace is running in an empty trailer un-attended.

Bob

We lost our boat in '16 while in a 'secure' heated storage facility.

Thank you Robert. Your experience and concern will definitely cause us to proceed with greater care.
Best,
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #7086
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I (finally) received my lithium iron batteries today. Originally ordered SOK, but they were port delayed in LA, so switched my order to Renogy Smart Lithium. I like the networking and battery monitor you can get with them. Installation notes coming soon. Charging them up for installation this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Renogy 100 Ahr.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	387037  
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #7087
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I'm not sure if this truly qualifies for this thread because it is more for me and the truck. I put auxiliary work lights in the bumper for hitching up to the AS and utility trailers after dark. It should also be helpful for working behind the truck when setting up a campsite or backing up.
I put an manual switch on the dashboard. I have been wanting to do this project for quite awhile and finally pushed myself to do it. The toughest part was taking the cut-off wheel to the rear bumper to make the holes.

Attachment 386317

Attachment 386318

Attachment 386319

Attachment 386320

Attachment 386321
Hi Crispy

I like the lights, can you add the part numbers etc to your post.

And did you hook them also to the reverse lamps so they come on automatically if you want them too? And With a Manual over ride if in Park or the truck is off
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #7088
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
SiblingClick image for larger version

Name:	20210116_072844.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	387062

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #7089
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Hi Crispy

I like the lights, can you add the part numbers etc to your post.

And did you hook them also to the reverse lamps so they come on automatically if you want them too? And With a Manual over ride if in Park or the truck is off
There was a request for part numbers for the bumper lights I put on my pickup. At this time I only have the lights switched manually and not tied into truck backup light circuit. If you wanted this tied in with the backup light circuit then you would just need to trigger the relay with the backup light power (12v). If you wanted both manual control and triggered with the backup circuit then I think you would need a different type of relay (5 pin?).

The kit was manufactured by Mictuning.
- Switch, relay, fuse holder and wiring harness
https://mictuning.com/mictuning-led-...lue_p0146.html

- Wire extension - You will have to extend the main kit to reach the rear of the vehicle. You can purchase this or make your own. If you use this kit you will need to wrap up the connectors to make them waterproof and protect the hot wires from touching the truck frame. It may be better to run your own wire in a corrugated wire loom and skip purchasing this part.
https://mictuning.com/16awg-66ft-ext...ack_p0587.html

- Bumper lights - There are a number of different lights on the market. I choose a small footprint to start. If I ever need to change lights the hole in the bumper can always be made bigger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-LED-Lig...72.m2749.l2648

You could easily put this together yourself if you don't mind finding the bits and pieces and your a bit handy.
- Rocker switch
- fuse holder
- relay with socket
- wire
- connectors
- wire loom
- light pods
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #7090
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
There was a request for part numbers for the bumper lights I put on my pickup. At this time I only have the lights switched manually and not tied into truck backup light circuit. If you wanted this tied in with the backup light circuit then you would just need to trigger the relay with the backup light power (12v). If you wanted both manual control and triggered with the backup circuit then I think you would need a different type of relay (5 pin?).

The kit was manufactured by Mictuning.
- Switch, relay, fuse holder and wiring harness
https://mictuning.com/mictuning-led-...lue_p0146.html

- Wire extension - You will have to extend the main kit to reach the rear of the vehicle. You can purchase this or make your own. If you use this kit you will need to wrap up the connectors to make them waterproof and protect the hot wires from touching the truck frame. It may be better to run your own wire in a corrugated wire loom and skip purchasing this part.
https://mictuning.com/16awg-66ft-ext...ack_p0587.html

- Bumper lights - There are a number of different lights on the market. I choose a small footprint to start. If I ever need to change lights the hole in the bumper can always be made bigger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-LED-Lig...72.m2749.l2648

You could easily put this together yourself if you don't mind finding the bits and pieces and your a bit handy.
- Rocker switch
- fuse holder
- relay with socket
- wire
- connectors
- wire loom
- light pods
Thanks Crispy

Cheers Ultra
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #7091
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
I'm not sure if this truly qualifies for this thread because it is more for me and the truck. I put auxiliary work lights in the bumper for hitching up to the AS and utility trailers after dark.
When I had my Duramax last year there was an active switch and wiring for a pair of rear lights that were completely busted and useless. I purchased a Cibie rear fog lamp from Daniel Stern and wired it to the switch.

It was very useful on an extremely low visibility day in RMNP, but also worked great for unhitching after dark when we arrived late at our campsite, without over-lighting the campground.
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L 2wd Towing pkg, built trans, 40k Tru-cool 7000lb tow cap
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #7092
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Micro Air now has replacement thermostats for the older Dometic models. Just got mine yesterday.
Iíve had mine for a few months and although it needs a few tweaks, it is a nice upgrade.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #7093
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Castle Rock , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I added a couple of nautical grade instruments to the bulkhead wall of my Airstream today, including a quartz clock and a combination thermometer and hygrometer. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. These instruments are designed for boats, so the mounting system will hold them tightly to my wall, even when towing.
Hi Dennis, sorry to ask you again but in searching Weathershacks website I've been unable to find the clock and thermometer combo you have. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.
Skybear46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #7094
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Beltline / Bellywrap

When parked at home, AS curbside faces more South getting partial sun exposure eventually dulling shiny chrome trim insert. (Newly installed 3yrs ago).

Carefully cut out the dull forward section (just behind guard rubber hold down concealing seam) also removed door section. Cleaned up with isopropyl replacing with new trim from original roll. BAM ! Shiny again and clean butt-ups !

The AS emblem ďhatĒ keeps the colors from also fading !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB488A6F-CB4C-4F09-A183-824D3B334D4C.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	388349   Click image for larger version

Name:	95B2C233-EA00-4EF1-A957-D94A663C3377.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	388350  

Name:	B3EC1800-B78E-4C83-A91E-9B10537B49D4.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	388351   Click image for larger version

Name:	16FFAAE1-18D8-44D2-96CE-9A52761E5E05.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	388352  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #7095
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
More Horology additions.....

Undone 421 Puff & Pass
Chronoswiss Moon Phase

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08D6B5C5-0BBF-46CE-B811-11673F586A7F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	388353   Click image for larger version

Name:	A35F9322-4381-4BD4-B38A-90B2780F254D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	388354  

Tahawus
🌤
Old 02-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #7096
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
New Axle, Schocks and special mounting plate thingy for the GT.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210209_113214~2.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	388370Click image for larger version

Name:	20210209_083956.jpeg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	388371Click image for larger version

Name:	20210209_084215.jpeg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	388372

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #7097
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Got sick of replacing my interstate lead acids, so on our trip to California -

New 6 volt AGM's in series; new 3 stage charger converter, Victron BMV 712 battery monitor, new Maxim Skylight; roof reseal, metal valve stems (already installed 16 inch wheels and Michelins), and some general repairs (microwave falling out of bracket), screen door wouldn't close. Wash and wax. Also added a Zamp portable solar outlet.

Add to that stuff a set of Boogey lights, all done by Vinnie's Northbay Airstream Repair. Awesome job!
For Christmas a set of the New Zamp Obsidian portable Solar panels at 200 watts. Today a new Zip Dee Awning pull rod arrived, and just ordered a Brabantia clothes drying rack!
Should be ready for our 2 caravans this spring and summer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boogey lts1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	388592   Click image for larger version

Name:	boogeylts2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	388593  

WBCCI #9026 Watchung NJ Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #7098
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
We added 2 Ducar 2000 inverter generators with the parallel kit.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #7099
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Got me Gliston Automotive Dent Removal Tools kit.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #7100
TahoeStream'n

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Got sick of replacing my interstate lead acids, so on our trip to California -

New 6 volt AGM's in series; new 3 stage charger converter, Victron BMV 712 battery monitor, new Maxim Skylight; roof reseal, metal valve stems (already installed 16 inch wheels and Michelins), and some general repairs (microwave falling out of bracket), screen door wouldn't close. Wash and wax. Also added a Zamp portable solar outlet.

Add to that stuff a set of Boogey lights, all done by Vinnie's Northbay Airstream Repair. Awesome job!
For Christmas a set of the New Zamp Obsidian portable Solar panels at 200 watts. Today a new Zip Dee Awning pull rod arrived, and just ordered a Brabantia clothes drying rack!
Should be ready for our 2 caravans this spring and summer!

Youíre lucky to have them service your Airstream. I asked about their ceramic coating awhile back and Bryan was supposed to contact me but never did. Iíll have to have someone else that is willing to do that for us.