Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Well now - Any seniors out there?

I certainly understand the younger members of the forum wanting to know if there are others of their age group. Gets kinda old listening to some ol geezer tell about how he bought a brand new airstream in '63 for $3200 and by God, it was far better than today's unit. Particularly when He (She) has told the same story to the same group five or six times.

But I want to tell you that the RV life style keeps most of us young and these forum rallies give the seniors a chance to interface with the next generation. I have been to two forum rallies and both times I took great pleasure in watching the young families with children. This is a special group of people. Intelligent, well behaved, and fun loving people from one year to - well you know, a lot.

It's not age that has wrecked Wally's club, most of the seniors who don't like all the crap have left. On to other things.

We seniors have a wealth of information and are happy to share it. Sometimes you might have to point out to us that it hasn't been done that way for 20+ years and we might have a hard time telling you the difference between a 8 cm DVD-RAM and a DVD-RW. So what. we still enjoy the movie.

So - any other old farts out there?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Well David,
You have a few years on me but not that many.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Define old!!

I'm probably upper middle age? I can say that I enjoy people of all ages as long as they aren't sporting an obnoxious attitude. Any age has things to offer. Rallies are a great place to rub elbows, and if you have kids, get them used to conversing with all ages in a controlled environment. It's part of training in my opinion.

Now I'll sit back and wait for some of the really old folks to chime in...

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
'senior' - that's a state of mind! rather than a number!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Here we are! Seniors and proud of it, and we surely don't think much of the alternative! Young was filled to the brim with friends, activities, climbing the "ladder," and kids, and. . . Old is filled as well, rich with burgeoning family, memories, long time friends, greater security, more time, and. . . Well, you get the picture. We try to live and love life, wherever we find ourselves along the line, and love the diversity of life around us. We probably have quite a few seniors on this forum. Are you all out there? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
depends on what you call old. My brain says I'm a young 20 something BUT my old body is telling me to go for the Geritol.and wheel chair. Us older old farts have a lot of infomation in us.I've even helped take care of a few children while camping.Even though We did not know the people. just met them while camping.I like some of the new music, don't mind kids just like meeting people.
Bob
Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
If, 10% off means I'd a Senior, YOU BET YA!!!
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We are in our late 60s. Enjoy the forums rallies much more than the typical Wally events because of the mix of ages, great pot lucks, campfires, etc.

Don't much enjoy the formality, camping at a fairgrounds, poor (cheap) catered dinners and cards/joker in a sterile building that seem to be the norm at most Wally events.

We renewed with WBCCI for 2007, but will think even harder next year, especially if the motorhome proposal goes thru.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Today March 9, 2006 I am celebrating my 30th anniversary of my 39th birthday. I love discounts and am flattered when I must ask for it.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
HANKTHEYANK

2019 27' Globetrotter
Anacortes , Washington
Sure, David, here's one --66, still working full time, but enjoying it to hell when they say "yes, sir" at the ticket window and let me see the movie for $5.50.

On Tuesday, my wife and I head southeast from Blaine, WA to pick up a 75th Bambi in Colorado Springs. We'll spend a couple of days in that neighborhood making sure everything's bolted together, then point toward Santa Fe and that little canyon in northern Arizona.

With me in the northwest corner and you at the southeast tip, we've got them bracketed. Have a great spring!
hanktheyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're 57 and 58, respectively. We don't feel that we're old, but like the senior discount at McDonald's.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I don't consider myself a senior yet, but I do have my AARP card!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi David; Here is something for the younger crowd to figure out, since most of them as the story goes, know everything at the age of twelve. Then as they grow older, the reality proves that their knowledge falls ever short in life. I am not talking here about level of education, but experience which is not gained from the book. After receiving my second degree in engineering I too, felt as I was sitting on top of the world. The life proved me wrong as well.

While you younger couple want to find each other for company of your age level, you should not exclude us older couples from whom you can benefit. Me and my wife are in 60s' and work hard at our business. Age is irrelevant for us. Here is how I would describe our role in life. We both are 40 in mind and 41 in bodies with the exception of the darn change in weather.
I come in to work at 4:00 Am and do my important work since there is no one to interrupt. The true reason for it is really the AS, above was just a little white lie. We close a 6:00 Pm but that does not mean that I get to go home because there is more uninterpretable work to be done. My wife gets up at 6:00 Am, walks three to five miles a day pending how bad her arthritis acts up. From here she heads for YMCA for half hour workout. Tuesday's and Thursday's one hour of weight lifting, after which she tries hard to convince me to join her at it. But I know better, and I tell her that I get enough exercise working physically at the business and lift a lot more weights than she does. While she claims that it is not the same I ask her to prove it, by lifting a 150 lbs outboard motor as I do.

Getting back to reality, at 60s' I work average 14 hour days in addition to honey do projects at home. At 10:00 Pm we have a conference in bed after which my wife goes back to reading, while I read my eye lids. Surmising it all we maybe 60s' but live in the age as we were 30s' and we are loving it. So, if you younger folks get to meet any of us older folks remember one thing, we just may have a lot over some of you couch potatoes. Please bear in mind that my note here was not intended to insult anyone, it is only a friendly reminder that 60s' is not old. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I'm just a young'n!

I'm 74, but I have to run to keep up with three of fellows in my unit. All are at or about 88 years old and still Airstreaming. One is a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge and 2 were WWII pilots. One commanded a B17 over Europe. None of them are ready to hang it up and, IMHO, none of them need to at this time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote : "We seniors have a wealth of information and are happy to share it."

David, you're so right, now if I could just remember what it was !!!!---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
I agree with Codybear....it is just a number and we do NOT do numbers. We are both still working and enjoy work, play. We purchased our first Airstream 2006 July. Took 2 short trips to the Finger Lakes region.

We have met many neat people on the Airstream Forum and looking forward to meeting many on our future trips. Don't do the numbers. Do what you enjoying doing. Enjoy life.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
As the old saying goes - "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!" I honestly can't believe that I'll be 68 next week. I'm still wondering what I'm going to do when I grow up!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Brad and I are both 55. I am the older woman at 42 days older. So we are both old enough to know better and take much more delight when we decide to act as if we didn't. Kind of the best of both worlds. I think it is very cool to see our senior seniors active and Airstreaming and it is no exaggeration that some folks run rings around the younger generations. I used to think I would be very cool and come into my own by 50, now I have pushed the bar back to 65 and then hope to hold for another couple of decades beyond that, here's hoping. Have some wonderful role models out there!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I'm surprised at how many seniors work! It sure helps pay for the toys - and travel - and grrrrr, health care.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
I looked up the spread of ages in our forum and think soldiermedic and I better get together to make up some numbers for representation as we are on each end of the spectrum and in great minority. Now we know how he feels. We had never considered age before this, almost 76 now, just retired from full time business two years and now full time playing AS .
John & Joan

PS I work in a museum 1 day a week. (No, not on display!)
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote