Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Web Scam

Yours truly has become a victim of a web scam. I feel so stupid. I answered an Email from Ebay yesterday. This morning, every dime from each of my two checking accts, savings accts, joint acct. Etc. was transfered into my primary checking acct.... and emptied.

My credit card issued from the bank was maxed out, and thus far, none of the other credit cards have been touched, but I'm working on notifying them as I type.....Please hold, please hold, please hold, your call is importaint to us, but please hold.

So, I just wanted to alert everyone. I feel so stupid!!!! I have seen these fraud things a million times, and cant' beleive I fell for one.

The bank is being great. They will set up a new acct with my missing money in ten days to two weeks. So I will be taking donations until then....LOL

SO, trying to keep a smile on my face, and well, now I have nothing but time since there's no money to spend.....

Guess I have time to polish...

THanks! Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up, and remind you all not to give out your personal info.

Thanks

Ron
Old 05-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
So sorry you have to go through that. Thanks for the heads up.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
SCARY!!! How did it happen so the rest of us computer-denied brains can understand? I know you have to do a lot of other stuff- like notify all the credit checking co.s of the problem. It's also best to get a new driver's license with a different number and date. My girlfriend has been haunted with identiy theft for 2 years now. Horrible. good luck, suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Hi Ron,

Sorry about your misfortune! I've recieved those fake Ebay emails many times. It takes very little effort to copy graphics etc. from a web site and use them in this manner. The fradulent emails looks exactly like an authentic one. The key is... NEVER click on a link in an email to go to a web site seeking personal info! Even though a link might look authentic and say something like http://www.ebay.com/accounts, the underlying code will take you anywhere the person who set up the link wants it to go. The only time you're guaranteed to go where the address says, is when you type it into your browser's address bar! This is a trick used often because it looks so authentic. I hope this helps others who might become potential victims!

Good Luck!
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Ya know...

When using my web site designer, it has an 'import webpage' area... So, this is obviously all that is needed to screw other people.

Suz... I just received a notice that I needed to update my info with Ebay. I thought the info was personal, but with my 7 track mind, and all of the stuff I have to do, and the emails I was responding to, and playing on the forum, I just answered it, and submitted it.....Not thinking.

Now I know.....And you do to. Thanks....still on hold.....

ROn
Old 05-07-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Ouch!

Boy that had to really hurt. I received one of those bogus eBay messages too. At first glance it look legit, but being someone who has a habit of spotting mispelled words, spotted a couple of obvious flaws. Investigating further, my tech cohort and I determined that it seems to have the following attributes:

Won't take you to the "evil take your money" page if you're using Safari, IE on Macs, Mozilla on Mac, Windows or Linux.

What it does is provide you with a link that LOOKS like a legit eBay address, but actually redirects you to a secure yet bogus site. If you have the status bar at the bottom of your browser active when you roll the pointer over the link, it will show the TRUE address it points to - in this case, it was http://www.ruavip.com/secure.htm.

The code is written specifically for the IE Windows browser. When you click on the link, it will launch a NEW browser window - but what is not readily apparent is that the Address bar has been replaced with a javascript-manipulated GRAPHIC of what looks (sort of) like a legitimate address bar complete with eBay URL. Plus, you note that the padlock symbol is lit, so between the two of those, it'd be very easy for someone to assume that everything was on the up and up. In reality, though, you've just given away the farm after giving them your bank routing number and credit card with 3-digit security code.

Hate that this kind of stuff happens to good folks....

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Oh Ron,
I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. The banks are good about straightening out this sort of mess.
All your accounts need to be closed, I am sure the banks have already told you this. Contact all the credit agencies. Social Security etc.
Tom was robbed while he slept in a hotel in Abuquerque las summer. The thief entered the room using a passkey, and took everything but his keys and shaving kit. Tom had failed to lock the deadbolt. This was an "Extended Stay Motel" in all the thief took around $1000, that we did not get back. He was fortunate that the thief did not slit his throat.
Also notify Ebay, Pay-Pay and anyother company you do business with over the internet.

Good luck,
Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #8
Craftsman

So sorry for your misfortune. I to got hit when I ordered an item from the U.K. on what was suppose to be a secure site. My credit card information was stolen by a hacker and my credit card was used to purchase thousands in computer equiptment and shipped out of the country. My credit card company took care of it but it was scarry knowing someone you can't even see, can rob you.
Jack
Old 05-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I still don't understand what they did with the information. Everything I use a check the person has my bank routing number and account number. Is this a security risk in itself? I would think that ebay, credit card or police could follow the money and ip of the bad guys. Likly too much trouble. I think it's time to change all my credit card and account numbers.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sorry to hear it. I had a friend, an older gentleman who was new to computing, fall for the same scam. The next morning they were cleaning out his bank accounts. They got it all locked down pretty quick, but it was still a scary hassle for him. I hope you get it all straightened out soon. This kind of scam is called Phishing, because they're fishing for the few people who fall for it, but they strike it rich when someone does. Remember, there are Phishing scams that look like eBay, Paypal, even legitimate banks. So be very skeptical when you receive an email asking for anything of the sort!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Ron.

You needed this like a hole in the head!!! Sorry to hear about this. My plan has always been to delete anything from any company or anyone that I don't know. If someone needs to reach me badly enough, they can pick up the phone, unless it's a telemarketer.

I've learned that there is no limit to how low people will go.

One thing I noticed on your website is the contact button automatically brings up a new email message window. Get rid of that option imediately!!!

If you want people to contact you by email, go into photoshop or some graphics program and make a bitmaped image of you email address. People won't be able to click on it to get an automatic email window, but you also avoid the internet "spybots" and "Spyders" that harvest those address, and are then used to propagate spam.

I hope this makes sense. Maybe you have a web person that can decipher the above. It is important though.

I sent you a PM.

Jonathan
Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You know, we deal with people giving us stolen credit cards for mail order items, so we have their addresses, and sometimes even phone numbers (as they try to convince us that it's good, that they're using a friends card, etc. Even with all that, the police absolutely won't bother with going after these people. We had someone buy stuff from us with a stolen card, and so we had their exact address, and they had not only stolen the card, they'd stolen from us! Everyone just said too bad! Police and credit card companies simply aren't interested in going after these guys one by one. It stinks, because it's a free ride for the crooks.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
You know, we deal with people giving us stolen credit cards for mail order items, so we have their addresses, and sometimes even phone numbers (as they try to convince us that it's good, that they're using a friends card, etc. Even with all that, the police absolutely won't bother with going after these people. We had someone buy stuff from us with a stolen card, and so we had their exact address, and they had not only stolen the card, they'd stolen from us! Everyone just said too bad! Police and credit card companies simply aren't interested in going after these guys one by one. It stinks, because it's a free ride for the crooks.
Stef,
You are sooooo right on!
My wallet was stolen last year. I called every institution, including Wells Fargo, and they did not even close teh accounts!!!!!! Even though I reported cards stolen! It cost them 30k ( wells fargo alone!) and their operators are too freaking stupid to follow through on a reported card theft call.
Now, enter the city police where I reported the theft-- a purchase in progress was detected while i was on the phone with another credit card company. I Called the store, and the guy at the store knew the customer!!!!! I told the police, and they were not the least bit interested in investigating this fraud. The crook went into an Arvade, and got cash with my credit card later, which was still not deactivated.
Identity theft is only so easy for the crooks and painful for the victims, because the financial institutions are so darn incompetent, and the police in my area simply don't care.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Track Them Down

Quote:
What it does is provide you with a link that LOOKS like a legit eBay address, but actually redirects you to a secure yet bogus site. If you have the status bar at the bottom of your browser active when you roll the pointer over the link, it will show the TRUE address it points to - in this case, it was http://www.ruavip.com/secure.htm.
You can find out who owns a particular domain (like www.ruavip.com) by doing what is called a "WHO IS" lookup. Go to Network Solution's Who Is Search and type in the domain that you want more information about. It will tell you who registered it, who pays for it and who the technical contact for it is.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

They bought the URL with bogus info, of course, and probably a stolen credit card number... They're alot smarter than that!

Sorry, Ron, but remember that your liability is only $50 on your credit card.

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What about all the bank accounts? Are the covered under the FDIC $100k thing?

Sorry to hear the problem Ron. I'd love to meet folks that do that......

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Mighty Bad mighty Sad news Ron. Hope it is taken care of in almost full at least. Really wierd that your savings account was breached IMO. Ought not be a crossover authority to make that happen and I'd sure take that up with the bank president. If its a chain bank don't get swept under by some cute little asst vp. they're a dime a dozen in the banking industry. It happens to the best of people all too often, but it is kind of you to alert us all.

I have tried at 3 different banks that I do business with to aquire a credit card with only a 300 dollar limit. No way they will do that for me. The least I have been offered is 1850.00 line of credit.
I only want the low-ball to use on line. I figure if I get scammed it can only do some SOB 300.00 worth. Of course the banks don't agree. I think I was offered a 350 dollar card when I was a Freshman in college, no credit history and no job. I didn't take it but often wished I had.

I have never put my credit card or my SS numbers on line for any reason.
I occasionally have used a credit card number on the telephone, and am always paranoid that it will treat some thief to a joy ride or two. I only use a land line phone only for such business but whose to know what the other end is using, or how honest they are themselves?

I have a brother who is a Police ID theft and Bunko Fraud Detective and he says that in the large city where he works that the overwhelming majority of the perpertators are aliens, not all illegal. Most from Nigeria and other African nations according to him. I look forward to asking him about the rumors that so many cases are not pursued. My guess is that if true it is because of the sheer load or crimes vs the number of personnel available. Or the history of the long odds against tracking many of the creeps down for conviction.

It is a mean, cold, hard, rotten, teeming jungle out there and anyone who thinks otherwise is a naive Pollyanna. The underworld is all around us. Including gypsy shysters and some Irish cartel (Irish Travelers) in many of the trailer parks and campgrounds of North America. Trust few Verify all, lock your doors, secure your Airstream, count your blessings and vote for Kerry .....right...when pigs fly oh and turn in your guns...
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Are they covered under the FDIC $100k thing?
FDIC is only to protect you if the bank fails. That is why you never put more that $100,000 in a bank account. Came from the depression era when banks failed left and right.

I saw it work about 12 years ago when our local bank failed. People lost millions because they had over $100k in the accounts. The bank had been bought by a consortium of car dealers in Houston and they used it to floorplan there dealerships by making shady loans to themselves. Ripped off a ton of people.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If I go back to my days as a banker there used to be a federal requlation that required that any kind of EFT debit on a checking or savings account required a preauthorization from the account holder. If we didn't have the preauthorization flag on, the transaction would kick out. If that reg is still valid, you will get 100% back on those accounts. You may lose $50 on the credit card. It just depends on your card granter. The nasty problem is lost debit cards. I don't believe there is any federal protection there like credit cards, and the policy for refund is up to the individual bank. Always a good question to ask when you get that debit card.

I think I just saw an ad on TV for a national bank that promises to restore fraud lost money in 24-48 hours.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #20
Rivet Extraordinaire

You have my sympathy. I'm still recovering from a few weeks ago when someone somehow gained access to my Paypal account somehow. It happened when I was sitting at my computer. I started getting conformation emails on the purchases I just made. Hadn't used Paypal in ages! And the confirmations were stacking up quick. I went to Paypal real and struggled for a few minutes to figure out how to stop this individual. Before it was over with they had made about $1500 worth of purchases. $850 or so were direct withdrawals from my bank account. I was able to stop all but the $850 from the bank account. I had no money in that account so it ended up overdrawn by like $1000 after the overdraft fees. I have wondered if it was someone inside Paypal that had my account info. They didn't get that password from me and Paypal locks your account when someone tries too many different wrong passwords. I wasn't at all happy the way Paypal had nothing even remotely close to a safeguard against what happened. Once I got Paypal to return the money I closed the account. It has been a HUGE hassle undoing the little bit of damage that was done to my account. I can only imagine what you're facing. I'm also very hesitant to do ANY business through ebay because of many problems I've had and stories like yours I've heard about.

1991 60th Anniversary Limited 34' - w/out Hensley ;O)
1991 F250 diesel 4x4 - (retired farm truck/beast)

"It's a good feeling to be long."
joossens is offline   Reply With Quote