Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Holland , Ohio
Weather Radios

As we are new to the AS family we have thoughts about what is needed on the road. One item is an Emergency Weather Radio. I would appreciate any feed back and or recommendations from those that have them in their AS.

RCLOUD9
Toledo, Oh
RCLOUD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
We carry one, and had relied on it for the intital few years we camped. However, now with smartphone we set it up for severe weather alerts. The issue with the majority of the NOAA WX radios is they need to have the local county code put in that you want to monitor for severe weather reports. This is easy at home since you only do it once, but when traveling can be a pain. The smartphone (we have iphones) uses the internal GPS to track where you are and what alerts you need. We still keep the wxradio in the camper (but it's days are numbered) and I will take the time to put in the codes if we are in tornado alley. It is also nice to hit the button to hear the wx broadcast if your cell service is crappy and you want a weather report. We are going to transition to a portable radio with wx radio that is hand cranked. That way we always have power for it and the batteries wont turn green between uses! We already use it at home for hurricanes and such. Just need to add it to the packing list. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85368...-weather-radio

So there is good and bad. If you want the back up and the off cell service service they are worth it if you are willing to spend the 10 minutes it takes to set up.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We have a small hand held battery weather radio that we carry in the truck. It is much like an old fashioned transistor radio. You do not ha e to put codes into it.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Our Motorola FRS radios have weather bands on them and will pickup the local WX reports and alerts. No programming required.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Subaru

I installed an old Subaru am/fm/cd/weather band radio in our trailer. Subaru ran with the weather band equipped radios for many years. Aside from Subaru's amazing stomp and go traction, the weather band was one of my favorite items. No need to program, and you can pick them up pretty reasonable on the old e-bay, I gave $30 shipped for mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	238057  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I prefer a grab and go portable radio. If the big black spinning rain wrapped cloud is upon you, the Airstream is no place to be.
I am reluctant to use an "app", because cellular phones are dependent on battery for all of their functions. Murphy's Law
A little radio with hot batteries will get the needed information to you before, during and after the storm. My favorite is an obsolete Radio Shack "weather cube". It's small, light, and tunable for the best NOAA reception. Midland makes some nice portables too.
There has been more than one time when our power as out and a Tornado producing storm was headed our way. Scary stuff.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I have a small radio flash light windup combo that works good for me. It's also good for small spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

We have one midland in the rear bedroom, but dont use it much since our new radio-dvd player has wx band built-in.
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We have, in both truck and trailer, wx alert fx provided from Kenwood 12v mobile ham radios. Tried a portable battery-powered wx-alert radio with a northwest state name. Battery didn't last, reception inside trailer was horribly inadequate, and required programming SAME codes each time we moved. We found ourselves looking up new county and four touching counties - what a pita!

Exterior antenna is great! Always have good signal. Automatic wx alert works well, although alert tone scares the pants off us. Too, if must leave truck and trailer behind, can carry Cobra WXST portable CB/WX handheld radio. Not good for automatically scanning because always turned off. But good for handheld, in a pinch.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I also have a Midland however, the warnings are always by county.
I never know what county I'm in or the surrounding counties so it is not much good on the road.