Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
We Lost our Airstream so be Careful with yours

Lost our 1979 Airstream this past Thursday to a fire at 4:30 pm. It was parked next to our house and Fire Chief said it must have been an electical short. It was plugged up to the house electricity. Hate to even think what might have happened if the fire had started in the middle of the night. We are really fortunate and blessed that it occurred when it did.

We just had returned from a 1200 mile trip to SW Kansas on Nov18 where we stayed in the Meade Lake State Park for three nights. Sure did have a good time and are heart broken that our "retreat on Wheels" is gone.

Passerbys saw the blaze and knocked on our house door so we caught the fire early and called 911. The interior is ruined by smoke and fire but the fire never broke through any of the vents or Air conditioner. The trailer was closed up tight and the lack of air actually prevented the fire from becoming totally out of control. We used a fire extinguisher to knock down the blaze before the Fire Truck arrived. Also hooked to it and towed it away from the house before the Fire Truck arrived.

I know one thing for sure now. I will never keep my next trailer plugged in all the time when I'm not using it.

Yep - we are going to get another trailer and it will be an Airstream.
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are really sorry to hear of your Airstream loss. We are also glad that no one was hurt. Airstreams can be replaced, people can't. Glad to hear that you will continue Airstreaming.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm sorry for the loss of your A/S, this is just a bummer! You were thinking more calmly than most to have the presence of mind to get it away from your house. Great job! All too often we see people just freeze and take no action under these stressful circumstances. I applaud you.
Good luck in your search for a new trailer, I sorry you have to go thru this.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
WOW, I am sorry to hear about your trailer! Your advice is well taken, I too have left mine for days on end plugged in and always worried in the back of my mind that it could catch on fire. I am glad to hear that your home was ok, so scary!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Thanks for the Tip

Really sorry about your loss. I know how excited we were when we first parked our AS in the driveway, hooked up the electric power cord and began showing the neighbors our new toy. I appreciate your willingness to get a painful lesson learned out to all us in the Forum.

May the new year bring you nothing but good stuff and a "replacement" AS!

Bless you and your family - glad all were safe!

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Will they be able to trace the origin of the fire or short? If they can and it's a manufacturimng defect, it may be possible to have it replaced??? Time to call CSI!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Would it help if the outlet had one of those safety thingy's like in bathrooms???

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Would it help if the outlet had one of those safety thingy's like in bathrooms???
You're probably talking about a GFCI. Without knowing where the fire started, there is no telling. From the original post, my impression is that the "Chief" was guessing at the cause or wasn't too sure. That happens, we can't always pin down the exact cause. One of my job duties is fire investigation, and I can tell you that a lot of fires get blamed on electrical causes, which in fact have some other cause. On the other hand, it could be electrical in nature - what are the potential heat sources in the trailer? Electrical on, propane off I assume? No recent use of stains, etc which may have ignited such as in rags? You have to look at the total picture, define the area of origin, and look at the potential heat sources in that area.
OK, enough Fire investigation 101.

Many times the insurance company will send their own fire investigator. If they do, I'd be interested in his/her findings.
Dave
Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Heartbreaking

How heartbreaking of a loss. However, the next Airstream for you will be even better. You know that. I wouldn't be afraid to keep the next one plugged in because of this traggedy. I am sure an investigation will show what extra pre-cautions will need to be in the future. I maybe would not park next to the house if possible.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Dear MTJIM- What a terrible loss. Becuase of your quick thinking and staying calm you probably saved your house. Timing is everything and if there is any positive behind such an event, the losses could have been worse and no one was hurt! I would definatly try to find the exact source of the fire. I am sure it is not because your were plugged into shore power as the root cause for the fire. This horrible event most likely could have occured while at a campground at 1:30 AM if that were the root cause! When you are camping you most often are plugged into shorepower! We have our AS plugged in all summer long, charging batteries, running ref. etc. We go out with it almost every weekend, so we want to be ever-ready. Many folks up here in New England leave theirs plugged in to run electric heaters. I do hope you are able to find the cause for peace of mind if nothing else. Look forward to see your AS!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
mtjim

sorry to hear of your loss.

this brings up another issue i learned from a long time airstreamer. don't pad lock your trailer hitch when towing.

if the trailer is on fire and you need to uncouple it to save your tow vehicle you won't be fumbling for the keys or trying to remember the combination!

take it for what it is worth!

john
Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I can only imagine what a horrible sight that must have been for you to look out and see your trailer on fire. I feel for you and wish you the best in your search for a new Airstream.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Condolences on your loss. We're happy to hear you're well along with your home. Now you can look forward to the purchase of a new baby. We have ours plugged in and backed up to the garage in preparation for a trip tomorrow for mods and upgrades at our favorite Airstream shop Texas. I think I'll unplug as a safety precaution as the batteries are fully charged and theres no need to leave it plugged in. Anything freaky can happen, I suppose, no matter what the age of the Airstream. Try to have fun with the selection of your replacement Airstream. Thanks for sharing this difficult story with us all and here's hoping that you have better luck with your new Airstream. Happy Trails
Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm very sorry for your loss. Yes, you were blessed it wasn't at night, but you were doubly blessed it wasn't when you were aboard, asleep. From what I've read, RV and boat electrical fires are usually from the battery-powered system.

Our Airstream has been plugged in 24x7 for the 4+ years we've owned it (3-stage charger/converter now) and it certainly will be if we full-time in it. If you can't trust it to do that, I don't think I'd sleep very well in it.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am glad your family and home are safe. I know you will find another trailer and this will just be a story to share.

I have my trailer plugged in 24/7 with my Ford F-150 parked in front of it, I am strating to have a hard time sleeping.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear it. Just plain gut wrenching. I know a good number of us park our Airstreams next to the house when we are loading, unloading, getting ready for a trip. Any number of things could have made this a much worse story.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mtjim, condolences to our near neighbor for the loss of your Airstream. This sends a tremor through all of us since setting up a 30 amp hookup for our trailers/MH's at home is so basic a practice. Good luck in settling on your loss, and best wishes hunting for your new Airstream. I know we don't find many advertised locally around here, although that is how we found ours. We are grateful with you that no greater damage was done or injury to you and your family. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
mtjim

What a rotten thing to happen. Losing a much loved trailer or vehicle is very disappointing. Reacting to the emergency in the way that you did mitigated the potential disaster that could have happened which is a great credit to your and anyone who helped you, and the fact that someone noticed it and came and alerted you to what was happening is also outstanding.

One wonders how many people have a fire extiguisher available and are comfortable that it's a good one and know how to use it if a similar situation should happen to them. We know a couple who lost two very expensive classic cars and their attached garage plus had tens of thousands of dollars of damage done to their home and furnishings - all for the fact that he had an inadequate fire extinguisher on hand that wasn't large enough nor did he understand the things to do when a fire started. Physically they recovered, financially they were well insured, but the mental picture has left them both impacted in many ways.

You will hopefully find just the right replacement for your Airstream and create a whole new set of great memories with it. Many of us will learn a great lesson from your misfortune and hopefully it will save us from a similar fate. I for one am going to check the date code on my fire extinguishers today.

Take care,
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I for one am going to check the date code on my fire extinguishers today.
They should be serviced periodically, businesses are required to have this done annually, also a good idea in any trailer or vehicle. One of the issues is that they use a dry powder as the extinguishing agent. Over time, and with vibration the powder can settle and pack down into a lump. One thing I do, and would recommend: Occasionally turn the extinguisher upside down and thump it a few times with a rubber mallet to shake the powder around and loosen it up. Also check the guage to make sure it's still in the green. Position it near the door so you can grab it on the way out of the trailer, then if it's safe to do so, fight the fire from the doorway. FWIW.
Dave
Old 12-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Good Advice

Fyrzowt:
Good advice for all. Make sure you have a way out if you find yourself trying to save your RV with an extinguisher. In 30 years in the fire service I've seen too manyfolks who thought the extinguisher would protect them. A lot of singed eyebrows and burned houses was the result. Aim it at the base of the flames and don't expect too much. The reality is that trailers and Mohos usually go up like a matchbook. The coach can be replaced, you can't.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote