Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
We came THIS close to buying an AS yesterday...

....Had the hubby 'on board', called the credit union to arrange financing. Our target was a 2007 Safari FB 25' that was at a small dealer 2 hours away. Called the dealership on Tuesday and yes it was still there. Not my favorite color (green check) but my dream lay out.

Going to stop and shop on the way home from another appointment. Hubby was pretty positive and I was geeked that he had no objections to spending this much money on an AS. (you have to understand that camping isn't really his thing but he's a good guy and goes with me and our friends.)

Sitting in the parking lot in Grand Rapids putting in the AS dealer address. YIKES their street number won't be accepted. Called the dealer and BOTH the Safari and the 25' Ocean Breeze CCD were sold on Wednesday. They haven't decided if they are going to still sell AS. I'm thinking they sold their three remaining models wholesale...

Very sad here in Michigan.....still looking for a gently used model.....still living vicariously through the AS Forums....

Put new tires on our pop-up yesterday after we got home. Some how it was not as thrilling as what we had planned for the day.

Thanks for letting me tell my tale to those who could appreciate it.
TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
To bad you lost that one,but there are plenty more out there.Good Luck Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Airdreamer

1999 30' Excella 1000
Canyon Lake , Texas
Another Close One

We came within a day of buying a 20' Flying Cloud. Even have a new truck big enough to pull it (and almost anything else AS makes).

Although we called it off at the last minute we haven't given up on the AS dream. We also want a gently used model, but bigger than 20'; 27-31' now makes more sense.

Keep your ear to the ground and something will come up.
Dreamnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Sorry that this one did not work out but somehow I think that an even better one will come along -- there are plenty out there and one will be for you. Keep watching the Forums Classified!!!

Good luck!
Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Seriously..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
....Had the hubby 'on board', called the credit union to arrange financing. Our target was a 2007 Safari FB 25' that was at a small dealer 2 hours away. Called the dealership on Tuesday and yes it was still there. Not my favorite color (green check) but my dream lay out.

Going to stop and shop on the way home from another appointment. Hubby was pretty positive and I was geeked that he had no objections to spending this much money on an AS. (you have to understand that camping isn't really his thing but he's a good guy and goes with me and our friends.)

Sitting in the parking lot in Grand Rapids putting in the AS dealer address. YIKES their street number won't be accepted. Called the dealer and BOTH the Safari and the 25' Ocean Breeze CCD were sold on Wednesday. They haven't decided if they are going to still sell AS. I'm thinking they sold their three remaining models wholesale...

Very sad here in Michigan.....still looking for a gently used model.....still living vicariously through the AS Forums....

Put new tires on our pop-up yesterday after we got home. Some how it was not as thrilling as what we had planned for the day.

Thanks for letting me tell my tale to those who could appreciate it.
TK
Your story is not the first and, most certainly will not be the last..

Moral of this sage is..
Be prepared to pull the trigger~(FAST) Money talk..all else, will walk.
You will find the A/S of your dream..Just be prepared..
See ya~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Thanks Debbie - I comb the classifieds a couple of times a day.

Dave and Dreamair - keep your fingers crossed for us

53Cloud - you have me LOL here! Pulling the trigger before my DH was ready to purchase could have created , er, other issues That said, we are armed and ready now should the perfect unit present itself! We'll put our plan in action like a well executed military campaign!

I may not own an AS but I did just enjoy using as many smiles as possible in one post. I appreciate the positive responses and am hopeful for our future streamin'~
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Believe in fate? Maybe these were not ment for you, and your dream unit is still on the way.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
....Called the dealer and BOTH the Safari and the 25' Ocean Breeze CCD were sold on Wednesday. Very sad here in Michigan....still living vicariously through the AS Forums....
TK - I know it's a long way to go, but Camper Clinic in Buda, TX (just south of Austin) has a good supply of the trailer(s) you are wanting. Ask for Tom Kaminski.

If that is out of the question, just know that in this market, there are lots of Airstreams out there, most at good prices too. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wink

Hi tksbaskets,

In these matters, the right Airstream will find you, not the other way around

Right now it's a buyers market, and there are so many used rigs for sale for you to look at!

You'll see, and when your DreamStream finds you, you will say, see It all turned out

Best,
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
The display models at many RV dealers are not owned by the dealer but by a finance company. This arrangement is referred to as a floor plan. With trailer sales being so depressed some dealers are either voluntarily giving back the models to reduce cost or loosing them because they have fallen behind in their payments. This is happening with many RV brands. Did you visit Woodland Travel Center sales office and did they have any new trailer inventory on hand? Last I heard Airstream is only building trailers that they have firm orders for. Good luck in your search.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #11

1975 27' Overlander
Wayne , Michigan
Keep on looking and we are sure you will find the one that is just right for you. And when you do we'll camp next to you and talk AS. See you at Tin Can Tourist in May.
Mike and Matt
Overlander75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Hello all!
Dale - yes I believe in fate....hoping it speeds up a bit though

Whitsend - Texas is a bit far to go but I'm willing to travel a bit. My friend Matt said he's always up for an AS roadtrip!

Hi fellow Michigander reddogfox - We have been to Woodland Travel in GR but they didn't have any 25' units there. We were going to go to Weekley in Owosso. The brand new units are about 10K more than we really want to go.

Mike and Matt - I have SERIOUS RV envy and may just have to sit in your unit when we camp this summer to get my AS fix! Looking forward to the Tin Can Tourist event even more now that I know one of the owners Shhh keep our near miss a secret from the other SOB campers in our group. Some day we want to surprise them!

I appreciate all the replies to my thread! I'm feeling remarkably better.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
tksbaskets -- you know that I know you've done your homework. Your prince will come. Good persistence!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Thanks Bob! We have your suggestions and advise printed out and in the dream file. You have been terrifically helpful and positive as we narrowed our choices. I'm know I'm going to have questions once we do find our prince
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
TK,, my first AS purchase fell thru, but the next one, which I now own, is much, much better! so, be patient, keep looking, and good luck!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Tskbaskets
Maybe you are trying to set your sights to high in yr that is. There are hundreds of beautiful, gently used and explicitly maintained units from the late 70's 80's and 90' that will do a the job for you.
Somehow if you look carefully you will find that older units have far more character that the new that you are looking at.
Maybe you need to look 2 or 3 hrs down 75 there are a couple of dealers along the interstate down here.
GOOD LUCK on your Quest
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Keep Looking

Hi, tskbaskets. Keep looking. Mom said "all bad things happen for a good reason". The bad thing was you missed out on the trailer with the green interior; The good thing is that you will find a better one later. [Don't rush it] We spent three years looking at/for a nice used trailer at a reasonable price. We ended up buying a new trailer and drove from Southern California to Eugene, Oregon to pick it up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

wimberley , Texas
No, not Camper Clinic in Texas.

Jim,

I know you really like CC in Buda, TX, but I will never set foot on that lot again! I went there on my one day off and asked for Mr. Kiminski; was told he wasn't available. A salesman recently moved from Orange County, CA showed me several ASs; smaller models. He had NO ASs on lot - and said he never got any- older than '08s. The least expensive AS he showed me was 39K plus tax, and when I asked him if he ever had any used or lesser expensive ones, he replied, "you don't need an AS, you need one over there", pointing at an ugly box, and excused himself. I'm sorry, but AS dealers will never see me again, especially this one! Color me insulted and disgusted.
hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Try airstreamofArkansas.com. I've bought two from Gene (mgr). He is a great guy, good prices and expert tech/maintenance guys.

I do not work for them, or get a commission...just good deals and service.

Good luck on your search.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
TK, I think it's great you didn't get the green interior that you didn't like. Maybe you'd get used to it, but it's possible in a few years you'd be changing the interior and you might feel you settled for something you didn't like. It's not good to own something you'll probably have for years and years and feel some regrets.

With Airstream drastically cutting production, inventory is shrinking and dealers are disappearing. Now seems to be the time to buy while there's still some oversupply. Check the larger dealers' websites for what they have and prices. You can e-mail Airstream for a list of dealers.

Good luck on your search. Seems like you're looking hard everyday. I think you'll find something that works well for you and "hubby".

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote