Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Want recommendations for CG in Bonita Springs/Naples, Fl

Hello-
We are planning to stay 3 months in the Bonita Springs/Naples, Florida area. Any recommendations for a reasonable, nice RV campground/resort?

TIA
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No, too close to my motherinlaw in ft myers. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Seriously, I hope someone can help you. I stay at the Franklin locks in Ft Myers but that would not be an option for you. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Zig, my wife and I stopped by the locks last year but did not camp. I picked up a brouchre but cannot find .Do you have any contact info for them ? May try it this year. That is operated by Corp of Eng. right ?
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
W.P. Franklin is a great campground but it is usually fully booked for the winter months 11 months ahead of time by a squadron of regular "snowbirds". There is a 14 day limit per every 30 days so lots of the regulars move around between the other two COE campgrounds on the waterway. You may get lucky but don't count on it. Koreshan State Park sometimes has availability when all of the other State/Federal campgrounds in SW Florida are full.

Good luck,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Google franklin locks. Reservations through reserve America, I think. Yes Corps of Engineers. Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
All Corps of Engineers campgrounds nationwide are listed on the Corps Lakes Gateway: www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway. I work for the Corps of Engineers (for a little while longer, at least) so I found out about the website through work, but it's meant for public use.

Those recreation projects with reservable campsites have links to Recreation.gov where you can make reservations. Side note, State parks, private campgrounds, and other non-Corps recreational facilities located on the shore of a Corps lake are also listed on the Corps Lakes Gateway, but links to those non-Corps facilities are not provided.

The Corps campgrounds associated with W. P. Franklin Lock are listed under Lake Okeechobee. Franklin North is first-come-first served. No reservations.

In fact, out of seven Corps campgrounds associated with the Lake Okeechobee project, only Otona South Campground and St. Lucie Lock Recreation Area accept reservations.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have always needed a reservation at franklin locks to camp. The rec area across the river is open to the public. Unless this info has changed in the last few months. Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I have always needed a reservation at franklin locks to camp. The rec area across the river is open to the public. Unless this info has changed in the last few months. Jim
I was going by the info on the Corps Lakes Gateway. The info on that website must be incorrect, though. After you posted, I checked Recreation.gov, and sure enough, you can make reservations. Thanks for the correction.

Or rather, you could make reservations, if only they weren't booked solid until February, when ONE site comes open for a two-week period.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Mike. I was looking at Koresham SP just now. They have 1 site only open for a few days we'll be in the area. It is site #49. Do you know anything about that site ??? I'm suspicious when I find a place packed and only 1 site available. What's wrong with it ??
Just thinking out loud. I may book it if it's still available later on.

We have had very good luck and are happy with COE sites out west where they have more space and more sites. Have not had any luck getting one in Fla. though. I plan to keep trying and maybe one day I'll get lucky.

Thanks,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Mike-
We are in Site 54 with our 25' until Dec. 13. I will walk to site #49 & take a look This is a very popular park and when I booked our site it was the only one available but is lovely!

When will you arrive?
Victoria
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi, Vicky. This is Roger . I went ahead and made the reservation so we'll be there from 24 Feb. - 28 Feb. Those were all the days available for that site in that time frame. But I appreciate you're taking the time to respond and look it over. Can you share any ideas for " things to do " in the area ???? Like I said we'll be arriving early on the 24th since we're only coming from the AS rally in Sarasota so we'll have 3.5 days to scout the area. From there we'll go down to Midway along Rt. 41 for a couple days than begin our trek homeward from there.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
We stayed at Midway this last week--nice campground w/small lake & alligators. Both visitor centers at Big Cypress are very nice & dozens of alligators & shore birds at Oasis Visitor Center. Kirby Storter boardwalk is serene/tranquil-Big Cypress. Shark Valley VC is new & part of Everglades. Also east of Bonita Springs is Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary--wonderful place for birds & wildlife. We also stayed a week at Sanibel Island & that was lovely--no box stores, lots of biking & Ding Darling Wildlife. Can you tell we are 'into' nature
Vicky
Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We've been to the area a few times and stayed at Midway. Yes it's nice and small and quiet. I haven't yet been to Shark Valley. Is it worth it to visit ???? I do enjoy visiting the everglades and will continue to do so. Have never spent much time on the west coast so that's the new adventure for us. The Keys are nice and we did like Key West but not this year. Maybe next. I did make the reservation for Koresham and on the way south I found a spot in another East coast state park for a couple of nights by Ormand Bch. Just trying to find some different things to do and places to stay.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I use Google Earth to look at campgrounds I am unfamiliar with in most cases it will tell you a lot. Be sure to check Reserve America daily as people DO cancel --- we got a week in Long Key last year (which is unheard of on short notice) on a "pop-up" opening.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote