Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
RV'ers in Walmart Parking Lot Kill INTRUDER
yea, my bad, i saw that after i hit 'post' but by then it was too late and required a moderator to approve, i was hoping they'd catch that, my bad.

Quote:
why is THIS THREAD in the 'a/s in the news forums'...?
yea, you're right, its not really AS, but its not really off topic either...

i guess i always think of off topic as .. you know, telling you about how yesterday i got a ticket for driving in the 'rain' (BARELY a drizzle, and when he was done writing the tkt it was not raining) without my lights on...
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
This isn't going to stop me from camping at Wal-Mart or any other big parking lot store. The situation depicted at the beginning of this thread could have happened anywhere.

I live in the middle of nowhere. The crime rate here is so low it's in the negative numbers. BUT, do I leave my doors unlocked at night? No.

I overnight at Wal-Mart if it's mid-trip. I don't leave my door unlocked, I don't leave the truck unlocked, I don't unhitch from the truck. I would go to campgrounds if more campgrounds offered a reduced-rate bare-bones hookup site for overnight, transient travelers. Wal-Marts and other mega-marts are all over the place and they let you park for free. Can a whacked-out drunk, high, or just plain PO'd wack-o decide he/she wants to bust into your camper and hurt you? Yup. It has nothing to do with Wal-Mart, Airstream or anything else. The same thing could happen at a campground. The same could happen at my home. Why publicize here that camping at Wally World is all of a sudden a dangerous thing to do? I'll be the first to shop somewhere else than Wal-Mart because of corporate strangling, but if they will let me park for free, I'll take advantage. It's not Wal-Mart's fault these people got attacked. It's the fault of the person that attacked them.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Walmart has, in my opinon, treated the RV community very well - - It's not their business to protect us --
But - - - I have stayed at some without concern but I'm always armed. If I were to sue a business - - I guess I would not pick the strongerst company in the country.

Just want to say thenk you Walmart for the times I have stayed overnight in your parking lots.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
And my wife can't figure out why I keep a gun in the trailer...
She doesn't like wrestling over guns with intruders?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #25
One good book daily...

2008 27' Classic FB
San Francisco , California
Thank You Wal-Mart

Open Note to Wal-Mart,

Thanks for the overnight policy and trust in your customers in allowing the RV community to use your parking lots.

We have used your overnight facilities infrequently, but the knowledge that in the event we do need to use them "in-transit" offers us comfort.

The "errors" either party in this case cannot and should not be construed to reflect the broad store communities or the RV community.

Many Thanks... T&M
moymew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Well said, Pop Rivet & moymew........I agree.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
And, insofar as relevant thread content is concerned, viewing a few posts from "the journey" will sure to enlighten.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #28
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
And, insofar as relevant thread content is concerned, viewing a few posts from "the journey" will sure to enlighten.

I'm utterly sick of anti American Press
Good Job I say, that there are some of us in England who
enjoy coming to America
and embrace the lovely company of the American People
The Airstream has helped friendships blossom and long may it continue
there is really no harm, I do not understand your objections
and why you are on my tail
Even after your harsh post on the thread, some time back,I invited you to be my friend and you accepted
but here you are trying to encourage comments, which,unless I am being too sensitive,are designed to upset
we have fun on our thread, and all I say is, if you don't want to join in the fun, that's fine, but please try to resist pouring
vinegar over what we are enjoying
The Forums are about friendship as well as maintaining an Airstream
[which Hans is doing by the way behind the scenes and could not
continue without the help of the decent people on our thread]
There are other threads of the same vein i.e. pleasant banter,You could have a pop at Silver Sisters, they appear to be enjoying themselves, and hurrah for them
Kind regards as usual
Lili
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
For me, the first paragraph of post #15 was on target, and well worth reading. Nothing personal here.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
See you at Wall-Mart.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have stayed on aWal-Mart parking lot many times and never felt that I was in harms way. It sure beats paying $20-30 just to pull into an RV park to spend the night without unhooking or using their facilities. Usually there are several other RV's parked around you. We have had as many as 13 rigs around us. Even if its a 24 hours store the activity subsides around midnight.

The only time I have ever been in fear of my life was in a private membership, gated, RV park when 2 masked individuals held my wife and I up at gun point and threatened to kill me if I didn't give them my money.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
The only time I have ever been in fear of my life was in a private membership, gated, RV park when 2 masked individuals held my wife and I up at gun point and threatened to kill me if I didn't give them my money.
What did you do? Did they get money? Or anything else?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
...What did you do? Did they get money? Or anything else?
gaylejoe's story is reported in detail here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ack-59018.html

cheers
2air'

and...((thanks 2 WHOever moved this thread from the a/s "in the news" sub forum....))

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
She doesn't like wrestling over guns with intruders?
I'm an Army veteran. I keep an AR-15 assault rifle close at hand for a few reasons.
1. I was willing to risk personal injury and even death to protect your freedom. I'm certainly willing to take that same risk to protect myself and my family from harm.
2. Being that an AR identical to the weapon I carried as a soldier with only minor changes, I can operate it in the dark, under high stress without having to concentrate on the weapon rather than the situation.
3. I am trained to effectively use it as a weapon in close hand to hand situations without it even being loaded, so any wrestling match with an intruder for the weapon itself will be a short one.
4. There's nothing like the business end of a military rifle for the "Oh crap!" factor that is so effective when thwarting the advance of a would be assailant.

I'm well aware of how some individuals feel about guns in general. Arming one's self is a personal choice that should never be taken lightly. The real beauty of the situation is the fact that we live in a country where we have the freedom to make that choice. If someone isn't comfortable with a firearm, they can make the choice not to buy one. I chose to do the opposite, and I don't regret my decision.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I'm an Army veteran. I keep an AR-15 assault rifle close at hand for a few reasons....
Thanks for your service!

Pretty sure you are in the minority when it comes to RVers, since you are essentially a professional. Most people would not be as well trained, skilled, or confident as you are in the handling of a weapon. Those people are probably safer NOT having one handy, though it is certainly a personal decision that everyone has the right to make for themselves. Hopefully you'll never have to use your weapon in your travels.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Hope I don't snore too much next to #8891.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Hope I don't snore too much next to #8891.
According to my wife, if you snore any louder than me, you should probably see a doctor!
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
[QUOTE=Journalist;879529
... I can operate it in the dark,...
4. There's nothing like the business end of a military rifle for the "Oh crap!" factor that is so effective when thwarting the advance of a would be assailant.
QUOTE]
I agree with all the rest but dark and Oh crap don't work for me.

Daylight or attacks in the dark, being ready was the important statement How can a weapon be stored safely, concealed, yet have ready access from one end to the other of a rv rig. Not having served our country militarily, without expertise in weapons, I am probably closer to the general population of RV'ers and appreciate your service and would like to take positive steps to peace of mind while traveling the U.S.
Maybe others can give a few specific security measures taken, short of full armament, especially for those that might object to guns.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
I'm an Army veteran. I keep an AR-15 assault rifle close at hand for a few reasons. ... I am trained to effectively use it as a weapon in close hand to hand situations without it even being loaded, so any wrestling match with an intruder for the weapon itself will be a short one.

I'm well aware of how some individuals feel about guns in general. Arming one's self is a personal choice that should never be taken lightly..... If someone isn't comfortable with a firearm, they can make the choice not to buy one. I chose to do the opposite, and I don't regret my decision.
Journalist,

i am one of the people who would normally say that an RV / Campground is no place for gun. However, You seem to be one of the few people who carry guns that I would actually feel safe next to - instead of scared.

The reason being - and i think many anti-gun people feel this way - we are simply scared that guns are in the wrong hands. As a person who has been living in a big city for most of my adult life (NYC), and currently living in a city where children murder children on a monthly basis... I have only had the opportunity to associate guns with violence, not the other way around. The only people I know who have guns are the 'bad guys'.

I find it unfortunate that training or some sort of test is not required to buy / own a gun. I could by a gun, and I would be very dangerous, because i do not know how to use it. Would you want to sleep next to me?

In the wrong hands, guns ARE dangerous. Maybe this is what puts people like me against gun owners like you. If all gun owners were as qualified as you - which i would like to think they are, but reality is they aren't - I would have no issues with gun ownership.

This is why i am anti-gun. : /
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #40
_

. , .
the issue of pack/no pack, carry/no carry, anti/pro and...

what/how/where to carry (from guns to silly string) has been the topic of many threads.

typically they get CLOSED or deleted, end up in heavy moderation and sometimes result in...

folks HERE attacking each other based on expressed views on the HOT topic.

like politics and religion and sex and 'streams...

there are websites TOTALLY DEDICATED to the topic of tossing projectiles.

search titles using the G word or some of the other terms tied to this...

and u can find a FEW of the threads and 100s of opinions and VERY elaborate details...

about USING/carrying/training with weapons...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ster-3360.html

there are also quite a number of threads on 'safety' or 'protection' while camping in a LOT of location types

((boondocking, parking lots, rest areas, wallyworld and so on))

many ideas on how/what to do...

some are sensible or effective and some are just plain silly.

now where's my can of silly string and the 50 caliber assault feather ? ?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ing-63180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...one-49322.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ety-40202.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ome-37187.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ety-26209.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote