Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

2005 19' Safari
Covina , California
Using your airstream as an Airbnb

Hi there, I

I am new to the forum and happy to be part of the airstream community !!!

We just purchased a 2005 Bambi 19’ Airstream and we are looking to list it on Airbnb.
1) Do people rent their Airstreams and allow them to be towed or just have them stationary ?
2) Is there a difference in price per night for a towable airstream versus a parked airstream.

Many thanks!!!!
RPerry1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
You will not find many, if any at all here that rent their AS and even fewer who would allow a stranger to tow it.
I have concidered renting our 25 thru airbnb on our site but cant get past the what if they dent this or what if they break that, plus just having unknown people on our property who I have to tend to.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
1. Once you rent it your insurance takes another turn away from RV for personal use to business property.

2. Rent the AS for someone else to tow. ……… you must not like your AS very much. Take a look at all the "first timer" towing questions on this forum. They at least make a commitment. You want to release your trailer to people with less invested.....so they can tow it like they stole it...….er….rented it.

3. Rent out my AS ? …….. naw I bought it for my wear and tear and enjoyment when I decide to use it.

4. I've been a rental land lord. I'm retired. No not going to rent out my AS.

PS.....you like servicing the unit or making beds for others use?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Best answer is use if yourself for a while. After learning all the ins and outs of using your trailer, ask yourself if you would trust a stranger with it. Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. Even if you rented as a stationary trailer there are a lot of quirks to using each of the trailer's system (heating, plumbing, electric).

For example, you can easily use your full supply of fresh water and fill up your gray tank in a 19' Airstream taking a "normal" shower. You can ruin expensive house batteries by discharging them excessively, and by that I mean running the furnace overnight when it's cold, or leaving vent fans and some lights on for a day.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Renting out is the fastest way to ruin your Airstream, period.

People don't care about other people's property if they're not paying for it; let alone paying for it. That's what you have insurance for they'll say after handing back your ruined trailer, full of nasty juices, scratches, dents and stuff.

What do you tell the next renter? Do they sue you for NOT having their dream vacation ready for them, because you have to fix the trailer?

You haven't thought this out.........

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPerry1965 View Post
Hi there, I

I am new to the forum and happy to be part of the airstream community !!!

We just purchased a 2005 Bambi 19’ Airstream and we are looking to list it on Airbnb.
1) Do people rent their Airstreams and allow them to be towed or just have them stationary ?
2) Is there a difference in price per night for a towable airstream versus a parked airstream.

Many thanks!!!!
I think you are asking a valid question, in the wrong arena.....

Folks on here are Airstream folks....many of them eat and sleep Airstream...Many have renovated their Airstream, personalized their Airstream, spent untold thousands on their Airstreams, and to many, if not most, their Airstream is a very personal posession, which contains a lot of personal memories, blood sweat and tears, etc......

Also, their is a generation gap, between most Airstream Owners, and folks that participate in Airbnb.....

Airstream owners are generally older, generally financially capable, and not the type looking for income opportunities.....While on the other hand, today's airbnb crowd are just the opposite(I am not insinuating yourself), and will, at the drop of a hat, rent out their own house or apartment, for some extra money, via airbnb.....

But as it relates to your question, you could almost certainly rent out your Airstream as an airbnb...and probably get more than a nice hotel room.....I cannot imagine renting my Airstream for someone to tow, but it is possible to do it. There would have to be a helluva damage clause in the rental contract, because they are very expensive to repair, and very easy to damage.
To me, if I were considering this as a business venture, I would want to have my own personal Airstream, and have another that was for rental.....but thats just me.

There are numerous campgrounds around the country that have Airstreams set up in the campsites, and the camping fee includes use of an Airstream ! I saw one such campground in California that had 80 Airstreams all set up to rent!
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
A buddy of mine is trying to get his wife interested in RVs, so he gets a campsite, then has a SOB trailer hauled in and set up. The folks that do this usually have a couple-few trailers to rent out. I don't know of any of these people personally, but I know that this service is available at the blues festivals that happen at Sertoma Ranch, Florida (which are a ton of fun, by the way) twice a year. The folks that run them are very helpful, and will steer you in the right direction for RV rentals. https://www.bluesbashattheranch.com/

Personally, I'd have to be incapacitated to let anyone else tow my baby! We let friends and family stay in ours (next to the house), but I think that's my limit on guests using it.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
A buddy of mine is trying to get his wife interested in RVs, so he gets a campsite, then has a SOB trailer hauled in and set up. The folks that do this usually have a couple-few trailers to rent out. I don't know of any of these people personally, but I know that this service is available at the blues festivals that happen at Sertoma Ranch, Florida (which are a ton of fun, by the way) twice a year. The folks that run them are very helpful, and will steer you in the right direction for RV rentals. https://www.bluesbashattheranch.com/

Personally, I'd have to be incapacitated to let anyone else tow my baby! We let friends and family stay in ours (next to the house), but I think that's my limit on guests using it.
Hey Suzyhomakr....My gf and I were planning a trip down to tarpon springs in march, and the blues festival is just an hour away ! Is it an adult crowd there? Not a bunch of drunk kids acting like idiots?
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Www.rvshare.com if you really want to rent it out for someone else to tow. The rent is higher than renting it as an AirBnB. Security deposits and insurance are additional, too. There may be other brokers out there, that's just one I saw an advertisement for.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
RISKY would not recommend.
are you so desperate for $$

once you do it, the insurance will go from personal use to business. that will likely eat all your "profits"

IMHO, use it for personal use only
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
I don't have any advice one way or another. But I'm renting an airstream through Homeaway at the end of March. My wife and I can't afford an AS right now, but it is our dream to own one eventually. We camp in our SOB a lot, but this is a special trip. It will also give us an idea about the floorplan. There aren't a ton of airstreams on Airbnb or Homeaway, but there are a fair amount and they seem to stay booked.
BoilerRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
2 years ago we rented an Airbnb airstream outside of Yosemite. The trailer was a 96 Excella 28 with a rear queen and I think we paid $140 a night, it was not a trailer kept in ready to tow condition and pretty sure it had some serious rear seperation/sag as the floor had a grade change just aft of the axles and buckling outer skin in the same area. It was probably a perfect use for a trailer in that condition although I think the owner was unaware of it's condition.
Not all Airstreams are pristine trailers babied by their owner and may make sense to rent out, if one has the desire to be a host and do the turn over cleaning, linens etc.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
There is one guy I know of who rents his new 25’ Airstream in the Jorden Lake StstevPark in the Raleigh NC area. After getting a deposit and rental dates he gets an available site at the park, drops off the trailer set up with 1 dz eggs, orange juice, coffee and a bottle of wine. At the end of the rental period he picks up the trailer and tows it home. Not sure of the pricing but I believe it was in the $150 per day range. Whatever you decide there is no way you want anyone towing your trailer but you!!!!!!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsnedike View Post
There is one guy I know of who rents his new 25’ Airstream in the Jorden Lake StstevPark in the Raleigh NC area. After getting a deposit and rental dates he gets an available site at the park, drops off the trailer set up with 1 dz eggs, orange juice, coffee and a bottle of wine. At the end of the rental period he picks up the trailer and tows it home. Not sure of the pricing but I believe it was in the $150 per day range. Whatever you decide there is no way you want anyone towing your trailer but you!!!!!!
I could see buying a used AS in reasonably decent condition and setting it up on a campsite. I live in a heavy recreation area where there are condotels and lots of people that rent homes as arbnb. But you would need full hookup sites, and it would be necessary to train people how to do things or at least be available for questions. I’ll bet in my area I could keep it full from May to September.

Also I have 6 campsites within 10 miles of me.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsnedike View Post
Most campgrounds and parks require that the vehicle owner actually occupy the trailer. Commercial rental companies sometimes have franchises to do what you propose, but the permission, paperwork and insurance issues are all resolved well in advance IMO.

Sure, this may be done all the time, but it is probably not legal in most locations IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Just look at the rented RV’s that are in the parks. They do not last long. If your looking into renting your AS call or stop in a RV rental company and see the condition they come back in. Then think about your AS Rent my AS Not in my life.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, the only member of our largish family that gets to use the Airstream is the youngest son. He’s the one that originally bought it. Rest of the boys haven’t a clue how to use or tow it safely yet.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
A few years ago Airstream2Go was doing AS rentals. Looks like they are now gone... I seem to recall they had some drivers who had accidents, sway and rollover. They supplied the tow vehicle and trailer. Well funded and solid management and doesn't sound like it lasted.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #19

1963 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Marshfield , Massachusetts
Best size frig/ freezer

I have a recent 63 Safari I’m renovating and might
set it up as a fixed Air B n B when I’m not trailering

I can’t seem to find photos of the original fridge
but I found a nice used Norcold 120v and gas
Frig/ freezer .

My issue is it’s 53 inches high so I will have
to cut the original entertainment cabinet up by around 10 inches .

Should I do this or look for a smaller unit ?

I also have a questions about the forced hot air furnace which is also missing

Any suggestions appreciate

617 259 5868
Thanks
Waltersre is offline   Reply With Quote