Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Wow! But. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronshugart View Post
Welcome to the Airstream lifestyle. I rarely respond to the articles but learn from reading them. I too have considered purchasing a dolly, still weighing in on the price to use ratio. However, there are many campsites around me that it would be very useful.
I live in the Monterey Bay region of California. Nearby Seacliff Beach is basically a parking lot 50 yards from the water. I back in, but have a rear bedroom. With a dolly/mover, my living room could be an ocean view. Granted, we spend most summer time hours outdoors, but in the rainy season, it would be totally awesome to sit inside and enjoy the view. So maybe don't jump into it right away, but keep track of every trip, and see when a dolly/mover might be a good choice. Here is an alternative to the norm. I wouldn't actually use this vendor, but it gives you an idea. https://www.campingworld.com/9000-lb...4aAiQYEALw_wcB

That thing looks terrific, but two concerns. (1) The price - $5400 on sale! (2) Since it fits into the hitch socket, how to you get it in there? You must need to have a jack or something since it seems to be right under where the electric jack is, at least in the pictures. They have it placed such that the "long end" goes back toward the underside of the trailer. Would it work the other way or would the center of gravity be in the wrong place then? If it it would work the other way, would it fit and clear the electric jack?
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Most is not all campgrounds will not allow you to do what your thread is about and mandate that RV be backed into campsite, doesn't matter what type unit it is. If you find a campground that does otherwise you can clue us all in.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lansdale , Pennsylvania
Don't do it. You can be seriously hurt. I nearly was.
tommym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunkirk , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
That thing looks terrific, but two concerns. (1) The price - $5400 on sale! (2) Since it fits into the hitch socket, how to you get it in there? You must need to have a jack or something since it seems to be right under where the electric jack is, at least in the pictures. They have it placed such that the "long end" goes back toward the underside of the trailer. Would it work the other way or would the center of gravity be in the wrong place then? If it it would work the other way, would it fit and clear the electric jack?
We purchased the trailer valet for around that price and it works great. WE need it to turn our trailer around to park it in our driveway because our total rig is too long for the spot. It's very easy to use and works well with a electric drill. We've never considered taking it to any campsites because it's not needed. Taking your time backing up will get you into any tight spot. And it's real heavy also.
dchysan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi,
We have the Proven Industries hitch lock for Airstream and like it very much. They also have an add on shackle lock that ties up the chains. It’s expensive but seems very well built and robust.
Rich

https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516-as
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Longmont , Colorado
One thing I'll add is that there are a lot more steps involved in the dolly versus just backing the thing in. Pull up, unhitch, move tow vehicle, get out (quite heavy) dolly, get out drill, make sure drill is charged, hitch up dolly, raise tongue jack, maneuver dolly for several minutes, lower tongue jack, unhitch dolly, put dolly away, plug drill battery in to recharge. Except in cases where you absolutely need to use the dolly (i.e. tight storage scenarios like mine), I predict you'll quickly lose interest and will feel plenty motivated to learn how to back the trailer up well.
askory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I use a Parkit 360 to turn and park the trailer at home. It can have a trailer brake controller. Taking it on the road? No it wieghs too much. Besides there's too many other things of higher priority to bring along.

Moving the trailer for maximum views?......utility hook ups would be then on the wrong side. Rough ground , loose gravel, hills, holes will stop a power dolly in it's tracks. Then you can't get the vehicle to it. ...either.

Way too much trouble for a weekend.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1505420851

I have a Proven Industries’s hitch lock I lock it even in RV parks. If you saw someone hook up to a trailer would you stop them and call the cops. No so lock it when not hooked to your TV.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
https://www.campingworld.com/9000-lb...4aAiQYEALw_wcB

Looks cool. Of course the engineer side of me thinks...……..

1. How do it get it out of the garage to the trailer?
2. Its low and sleek but a lot of lifting or 26 ft per minute driving.
3. Its 77 pounds and I have to lift it more than my wheeled battery tugger with its freewheel setting.
4. What do I leave in preference to this, the generator, grill, or lawn chairs, etc?

5. Notice in the pic with the Jeep in the back ground that it shows him moving the trailer with chocks behind the front wheels of the trailer?

PS....6. My classic has windows everywhere. But really don't spend much time gazing at the view.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
You might want to go to https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/

The Escapees' Boot Camp is held in various locations and will also be held just prior to the 2019 Escapade in Tucson AZ in March. The program covers a lot of material and, while not Airstream specific, is very informative. The graduating classes form their own small support community as well.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote